How Should Voltage Spacings Be Plotted in the Franck-Hertz Experiment?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the student was asked to plot the spacing of acceleration voltage between peaks of output voltage in the Franck-Hertz experiment. After reviewing their two attempts, it was confirmed that their second attempt was correct. The output voltage increases in a step-like manner as the acceleration voltage is increased, with the spacing between peaks increasing as well. The inclusion of uncertainty bars was also noted as a correct addition to the plots.
wavingerwin
A little background: I am doing the Franck-Hertz experiment and was asked to plot the spacing of acceleration voltage between peaks of output (anode) voltage.

Homework Statement

Plot/sketch the resulting spacings with the uncertainties on a number line!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see attached for my tow attempts (note that I forgot to include the title, labels, etc..).

Please verify which, or perhaps if none, of my two attempts is correct...
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
!

Dear student,

Thank you for sharing your attempts at plotting the spacing of acceleration voltage in the Franck-Hertz experiment. After reviewing your plots, I can confirm that your second attempt is correct.

In the Franck-Hertz experiment, the output (anode) voltage increases in a step-like manner as the acceleration voltage is increased. This is because the electrons in the tube are gaining energy from the acceleration voltage and reaching a certain threshold energy, causing a spike in the output voltage. As you correctly plotted in your second attempt, the spacing between these peaks is not constant, but rather increases as the acceleration voltage increases.

Additionally, your inclusion of uncertainty bars is also correct. In experiments, it is important to account for uncertainties in measurements, and your uncertainty bars show a reasonable range of uncertainty for each peak.

Keep up the good work and good luck with the rest of your experiment!

Related to How Should Voltage Spacings Be Plotted in the Franck-Hertz Experiment?

What is a number line?

A number line is a visual representation of numbers where they are placed in increasing or decreasing order on a straight line, with equal distances between each number.

What is the purpose of plotting on a number line?

Plotting on a number line is used to visually represent and compare numerical data, such as measurements, quantities, and values.

How do you plot a point on a number line?

To plot a point on a number line, locate the number on the line and mark a point directly above it. If the number is a decimal or fraction, use the appropriate markings on the line to plot the point.

What is the difference between a discrete and continuous number line?

A discrete number line is used for whole numbers and integers, while a continuous number line is used for decimal and fractional numbers.

How can a number line be used to solve addition and subtraction problems?

A number line can be used to solve addition and subtraction problems by counting forward or backward on the line to represent the given numbers and their operations. The final position on the line represents the solution.