How shud i apply lenz's law to this?

In summary, when the switch in the circuit is closed, a current is established in the coil and the metal ring jumps upward. This is because the north pole of the solenoid points downwards and the ring's north pole (due to the induced emf creating a bar magnet) also points downwards, causing repulsion between the two magnets. If the battery polarity were reversed, the ring would still jump upward because the north poles of the solenoid and ring would repel each other.
uzair_ha91

Homework Statement

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7309/coil.png
When the switch in the circuit is closed a current is established in the coil and the metal ring jumps upward, Why? Describe what would happen to the ring if the battery polarity were reversed?

Homework Equations

-------------

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, for the first part: The north pole of the solenoid will point downwards and the south pole upwards. The ring's north pole (due to the induced emf creating a sort of a bar magnet just like in solenoid) will point downwards to oppse the decrease...That's why the ring jumps upward as soon we close the circuit..
But when we open the circuit, the current decreases and there is a decrease in magnetic flux,, so according to Lenz's Law, will the ring jump upwards or stay where it is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
uzair_ha91 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, for the first part: The north pole of the solenoid will point downwards and the south pole upwards.
Yes, good. That is correct.

The ring's north pole (due to the induced emf creating a sort of a bar magnet just like in solenoid) will point downwards to oppse the decrease...That's why the ring jumps upward as soon we close the circuit..

Let's take things one step at a time.

1. First, let's think about the final polarity of the ring. We are told that it jumps upward when the switch is closed. In other words, the two "magnets" (the solenoid and the ring) repel each other.

Since the two magnets repel, do they have like poles or opposite poles facing towards each other?

2. Next, use Lenz's Law. In what direction does the change in B point inside the ring?

Redbelly98 said:
Since the two magnets repel, do they have like poles or opposite poles facing towards each other?
Like poles for repulsion

Redbelly98 said:
2. Next, use Lenz's Law. In what direction does the change in B point inside the ring?
The ring's magnetic field will act upwards i.e. it's south pole will repel the south pole of the solenoid...Thus the change in magnetic field will be downwards...and to oppose this change the ring's magnetic field is hence upwards...
But here the flux is increasing through the ring, what would happen as the flux decreases (i.e. when the circuit is opened and current decreases)? I am kinda stuck here...

uzair_ha91 said:
Like poles for repulsion

The ring's magnetic field will act upwards i.e. it's south pole will repel the south pole of the solenoid...Thus the change in magnetic field will be downwards...and to oppose this change the ring's magnetic field is hence upwards...
Yes.
But here the flux is increasing through the ring, what would happen as the flux decreases (i.e. when the circuit is opened and current decreases)? I am kinda stuck here...
Who cares what happens when the circuit is opened? They are not asking about that.

oh yeah sorry ... misunderstood :-)

And if the polarity is reversed the ring would still jump upwards because now the north pole of the solenoid will repel the north pole of the ring

Yes, you've got it.

Related to How shud i apply lenz's law to this?

1. How does Lenz's Law apply to this situation?

Lenz's Law states that when an electric current or change in magnetic field induces a current in a conductor, the direction of the induced current is always such that it opposes the change that produced it. In other words, the induced current creates a magnetic field that opposes the original change. This law can be applied to various situations involving electromagnetic induction, such as when a magnet is moved near a coil of wire.

2. What is the significance of Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is significant because it is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. It is also used in many practical applications, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors.

3. How can I determine the direction of the induced current using Lenz's Law?

The direction of the induced current can be determined by using the "right-hand rule." If you point your right thumb in the direction of the original change or motion, then the direction your curled fingers point is the direction of the induced current that opposes the original change.

4. Can Lenz's Law be applied to non-electromagnetic situations?

Lenz's Law is specific to electromagnetic induction and cannot be directly applied to non-electromagnetic situations. However, the concept of opposing changes can be seen in other areas of science, such as Newton's Third Law of Motion.

5. Are there any exceptions to Lenz's Law?

In most cases, Lenz's Law holds true. However, there are a few exceptions, such as when the induced current is too weak to produce a significant magnetic field or when the conductor is moving at a constant velocity without any changes in the magnetic field.