How steadily available are Nuclear Engineering Jobs

In summary, Ansu is seeking advice on their career path after graduating with an associate degree in Network Administration/Analyst in 2015. They have decided to pursue a career in Nuclear Engineering and are wondering about the employment opportunities and job security in this field. They also ask about the potential combination of Computer Engineering and Nuclear Engineering for a PhD and a future career as a professor. The conversation also touches on the safety concerns in the Nuclear field and the various opportunities for Nuclear Engineers in different industries such as particle accelerators, submarines, and hospitals. The advice given is to focus on gaining experience and academic merits to increase chances of employment and a future career as a professor in Nuclear Engineering. The Nuclear Institute (NI) is also mentioned as a
Ansu
Hi everyone, I am new in here and also wondering on my career path. I graduated with associate in Network Administration/Analyst 2015 and realized I needed something highly technical with lot challenges, after my research I decided to enroll in the Nuclear Power Plant field hopping to become a Nuclear Engineer. My questions are: what are my chances of employment with an associate degree in the Nuclear power plant field?
while, I plan to further my education to Nuclear Engineer, are there surplus of opportunity and job security?
I read about the unsafe environment in Nuclear field, how's that? considering the fact that security is paramount…

Also, is Computer Engineering a good combination with Nuclear Engineering, hoping to obtain PHD as a Professor after years of experience. please share your take on this or your advice will be greatly appreciation, I need some clarity in my career path…

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ansu,

Nuclear engineering is not as insecure as you think. True is that there have being many horrible accidents, but there are rarely, and when they happen it's because a terrible mistake. Usually, companies provide secures to its employees; but anyway, if you wany the job you have to assume the consequences.

As in most engineering fields, many people apply for the job, so experience and background is key for obtaining that job.

If you want to do a PhD in Nuclear Engineering plus a degree in Computer engineering (I assume those are the levels you want to pursue; other combination would be meaningless), experience is the only thing that will lead you to a professor's job. I don't think Computer engineering will help you to be a professor, as engineering professors are more on the side of theoretical engineering. Rather try to write many and good papers, as the academic merits are the key for obtaining a professor's job.

Anyway, luck :)

Nuclear engineers don't have to just work on fission plants, they are hand in particle accelerators, submarines, hospitals, decommissioning, fusion research etc.

Computing with engineering is a great combination and modern engineering is getting increasingly high tech, you could end up in robotics for maintaining nuclear facilities or designing using virtual prototyping , 3D printing metal components, lots of opportunists.

Also I would think that professorship is entirely possible with this combination, just google Nuclear Engineering professors and you will see that there are plenty.

have a read of the nuclear institute (NI) guide on careers in nuclear, they also have a young generation network for people getting started

http://www.nuclearinst.com/write/MediaUploads/Resources/CQI_Nuclear_Quality_Career_Guide.pdf

1. What is the current job market like for nuclear engineers?

The job market for nuclear engineers is steadily growing. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of nuclear engineers is projected to increase by 4% from 2019 to 2029, which is about as fast as the average for all occupations. This growth is primarily due to the need for new power generation and the maintenance of existing nuclear facilities.

2. Are there a lot of job opportunities in the nuclear engineering field?

Yes, there are plenty of job opportunities in the nuclear engineering field. Nuclear engineers are needed in a variety of industries, including energy production, national defense, and medical research. Additionally, with the increasing demand for clean energy sources, there is a growing need for nuclear engineers to design and develop new nuclear power plants.

3. What qualifications are needed to get a job in nuclear engineering?

To become a nuclear engineer, you typically need a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering or a related field, such as mechanical or electrical engineering. Some positions may also require a master's degree or Ph.D. in nuclear engineering. Additionally, most employers prefer candidates with relevant work experience and professional licensure.

4. Are there any specific skills or knowledge required for nuclear engineering jobs?

Yes, nuclear engineers need to have a strong understanding of physics, mathematics, and engineering principles. They must also be knowledgeable about nuclear energy and radiation and have excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Additionally, proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software and other technical tools is often required.

5. Is nuclear engineering a stable career choice?

Yes, nuclear engineering is considered a stable career choice. Due to the specialized skills and knowledge required for this field, there is a relatively low number of qualified professionals, making job opportunities more stable and secure. Additionally, the demand for nuclear engineers is expected to increase in the coming years, ensuring a steady supply of job opportunities.