How strong should an electromagnet be to elevate a 1kg mass?

In summary, experts recommend a electromagnet with a strength of at least 10kg to be able to hold a 1kg weight in the middle of a ferrous environment.
Arturas Surblys
Hello Everybody,

Can somebody help me to find out about Electromagnets and Electric motors? I hope that here it is possible to get an expert opinion about the next question. How strong should be electromagnet to elevate and hold f.e. 1 kg weight in the middle of a ferrous environment (f.e. cube 1mx1mx1m), steel thickness 10 mm. Is it possible to achieve this target or is it totally unreachable?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Arturas Surblys said:
Hello Everybody,

Can somebody help me to find out about Electromagnets and Electric motors? I hope that here it is possible to get an expert opinion about the next question. How strong should be electromagnet to elevate and hold f.e. 1 kg weight in the middle of a ferrous environment (f.e. cube 1mx1mx1m), steel thickness 10 mm. Is it possible to achieve this target or is it totally unreachable?
Can you send a diagram?

Do you mean something like this?

lifting-electro-magnet-old-car-260nw-433342318.jpg

I don't know what you mean by
in the middle of a ferrous environment

Attachments

• lifting-electro-magnet-old-car-260nw-433342318.jpg
    lifting-electro-magnet-old-car-260nw-433342318.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 454
Likes berkeman
For example steel cube with W1000xH1000xL1000 mm. each side is 10mm thickness steel and inside is electromagnets to hold 1 kg weight. Diagramm is attached.

Attachments

• Question for Forum.pdf
    59.7 KB · Views: 267
Arturas Surblys said:
For example steel cube with W1000xH1000xL1000 mm. each side is 10mm thickness steel and inside is electromagnets to hold 1 kg weight. Diagramm is attached.

please don't make people open pdf files always just upload the image

upload_2019-3-8_11-58-10.png
from your measurements, I suspect you have seriously underestimated the weight

each side will be well over 1kg ... 1m x 1m x 10mm ... without looking online for a calculator, you are probably close to 10kg per side
10 x 6 sides there's 60kg as an estimateDave

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-8_11-58-10.png
    upload_2019-3-8_11-58-10.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 448
100 cm×100 cm×1 cm =10000 cm3. 10 kg per side would be for water at 1 g/mL. Iron density is a bit below 8 g/cm3, so close to 80 kg per plate.

But I guess it doesn't matter, as far as I understand OP doesn't want to elevate everything, but some other mass inside of the cube.

Borek said:
100 cm×100 cm×1 cm =10000 cm3. 10 kg per side would be for water at 1 g/mL. Iron density is a bit below 8 g/cm3, so close to 80 kg per plate.

But I guess it doesn't matter, as far as I understand OP doesn't want to elevate everything, but some other mass inside of the cube.
Yes you are wright. It is nothing to do with the cube, just to show the environment. I believe thickness of plates and material will affect the electromagnetic field.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a bigger, yet not 'industrial' scale, think security door mag-locks...

1. What factors affect the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet is affected by several factors, including the number of coils in the wire, the amount of current flowing through the wire, the type of core material used, and the distance between the wire and the object being attracted.

2. How do I calculate the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * N * I / l, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current, and l is the length of the coil.

3. How much current is needed to lift a 1kg mass with an electromagnet?

The amount of current needed to lift a 1kg mass with an electromagnet depends on the strength of the magnet and the distance between the magnet and the object. Generally, a current of at least 1 ampere is needed to lift a 1kg mass.

4. How does the type of core material affect the strength of an electromagnet?

The type of core material used in an electromagnet can greatly affect its strength. Materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron or steel, can greatly increase the magnetic field strength and therefore the lifting capacity of the magnet.

5. What is the maximum weight an electromagnet can lift?

The maximum weight an electromagnet can lift depends on its size, strength, and the distance between the magnet and the object. Generally, larger and stronger electromagnets can lift heavier objects, but there is no specific limit as it also depends on the specific conditions of the experiment.