How the angle of launch affect the range?

In summary, this experiment is trying to measure how the angle of launch, when shooting a rubber band, affects the range or distance of the shot.
rasalzari

Homework Statement

I'm about to conduct an experiment about factors that affect the flight of an elastic band.
The aim of this experiment is to find how the angle of launch, when shooting a rubber band, affects the range or distance of the shot.
Do you suggest to consider the drag force? like, for example, show the differences on how with and without air resistance the range is affected?

Variable list:
  • Independent Variable
    • Angle of launch
  • Dependent Variable
    • Range or distance

Homework Equations

Without air resistance these formulas are applicable:
range_equation_initial_velocity.png
range_equation_gravity.png
vertical_velocity_equation_time.png

More examples of equations

With air resistance:
https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/144ce01ab76e5e8a0662dbf0f5b922abfa726e9c

The Attempt at a Solution

Like I said I will be doing a lab report, so I thought of considering the drag force but I don't know much about it, however, do you think its a good idea to show the difference? or should I show the difference in vertical height?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it have to be an elastic band that you launch? If not, consider using an elastic band to launch something else, like a marble or ball bearing. I suggest that would give you much more analyzable and repeatable results. Launching an elastic band repeatably might be a challenge, and modelling it would certainly be. Setting up a slingshot sort of launch mechanism seems more straightforward and amenable to modelling with basic equations you can learn to apply without yet knowing calculus. You can ignore the effects of drag on a small spherical object and clearly see that the range you predict for different launch angles matches pretty well with your equations, if you have properly calibrated the energy in the stretched elastic launcher.

To model drag on an elastic band would require pretty advanced techniques, imo so elaborate that most would consider it a measurement problem, not an analysis problem (meaning its too much trouble to calculate it, just measure it).

Grinkle said:
Does it have to be an elastic band that you launch? If not, consider using an elastic band to launch something else, like a marble or ball bearing. I suggest that would give you much more analyzable and repeatable results. Launching an elastic band repeatably might be a challenge, and modelling it would certainly be. Setting up a slingshot sort of launch mechanism seems more straightforward and amenable to modelling with basic equations you can learn to apply without yet knowing calculus. You can ignore the effects of drag on a small spherical object and clearly see that the range you predict for different launch angles matches pretty well with your equations, if you have properly calibrated the energy in the stretched elastic launcher.

To model drag on an elastic band would require pretty advanced techniques, imo so elaborate that most would consider it a measurement problem, not an analysis problem (meaning its too much trouble to calculate it, just measure it).
Alright then i will be measuring the highest peak, max height, time taken, velocities and graph the results. Do you think this will be enough?

rasalzari said:
highest peak, max height

What is the difference between those two?

rasalzari said:
velocities
Out of curiosity, how will you measure this?

rasalzari said:
Do you think this will be enough?
If your goal is to test specific calculations you make that predict things like max height and compare them to experimental results, then you should look at the equations you plan to use and decide which of the results of your equations you are able to measure to assess if its enough to make a good experiment. One comment I have is that you started out stating you want to measure range vs launch angle, so I would expect to see both of those things in your list.

I am not sure what level of education you are at or how much effort is expected from you in this exercise. It may be that I am putting you in over your head with some of my suggestions - if it feels that way, below is a link to a very simple experiment using only rubber bands that will let you explore most of the concepts you are talking about.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/bring-science-home-rubber-bands-energy/

edit: I just saw your other thread on the same topic. Probably best to keep all the discussion in one thread.

Last edited:

1. What is the angle of launch and how does it affect the range?

The angle of launch is the angle at which an object is projected into the air. It is measured from the horizontal ground level. The angle of launch affects the range because it determines the vertical and horizontal components of the object's velocity. If the angle is too high or too low, it can result in a shorter range due to the object's vertical velocity pulling it back towards the ground.

2. What is the optimal angle of launch for maximum range?

The optimal angle of launch for maximum range depends on various factors such as the initial velocity and air resistance. However, in a vacuum, the optimal angle of launch for maximum range is 45 degrees. This is because at 45 degrees, the object's vertical and horizontal velocities are equal, resulting in the longest possible range.

3. How does air resistance affect the angle of launch and the range?

Air resistance can affect the angle of launch and the range in several ways. It can decrease the object's initial velocity, making it necessary to launch at a higher angle to achieve the same range. Additionally, air resistance can also act as a force against the object's motion, causing it to lose speed and range over time.

4. Is the angle of launch the only factor that affects the range?

No, the angle of launch is not the only factor that affects the range. Other factors such as initial velocity, air resistance, and the mass of the object can also play a role in determining the range. For example, a heavier object will require a higher initial velocity to achieve the same range as a lighter object launched at the same angle.

5. How does changing the angle of launch affect the trajectory of the object?

Changing the angle of launch can significantly affect the trajectory of the object. As the angle is increased, the object's trajectory becomes steeper, and it will reach its maximum height faster. Conversely, decreasing the angle will result in a flatter trajectory and a longer time before reaching the maximum height. This is because the angle of launch determines the object's vertical and horizontal velocities, which, in turn, affect its trajectory.