How the forces on a drop of water versus mercury on a glass slide influence the shape?

In summary: Consider a horizontal disc of the drop, height y, thickness dy, radius x.What equations can you write relating the these to y', y", density, surface tension etc?
pranjal verma
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
00001745.jpg

I am trying to understand how fluids form particular shapes when put on a solid.
  1. In the two figures,what are we taking as a system for the forces?
  2. How the resultant of the forces influences the shape of the different fluids?

Attachments

• 00001745.jpg
    00001745.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,060
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Do not erase the template ! You have already found something, so start from there!

Likes pranjal verma
pranjal verma said:
I am trying to understand how fluids form particular shapes when put on a solid.
There are two parts to this:
- the forces that result in the contact angle
- the forces that control the shape of the surface elsewhere
Are you interested in analysing both of those or just one?
For the latter, consider a horizontal slice at some height. Can you relate the surface tension, the curvature and the internal pressure? (Are you familiar with the analysis of pressure in bubbles?)

Likes pranjal verma
haruspex said:
There are two parts to this:
- the forces that result in the contact angle
- the forces that control the shape of the surface elsewhere
Are you interested in analysing both of those or just one?
For the latter, consider a horizontal slice at some height. Can you relate the surface tension, the curvature and the internal pressure? (Are you familiar with the analysis of pressure in bubbles?)
I am Interested in determining the system on which the forces are acting and how the forces influence the contact angle of the drop.(I.e why liquid forms a specific contact angle due to resultants of all forces acting on it?)

pranjal verma said:
I am Interested in determining the system on which the forces are acting and how the forces influence the contact angle of the drop.(I.e why liquid forms a specific contact angle due to resultants of all forces acting on it?)
I might have been of help with the shape elsewhere but I know little about contact angles.
Have you read this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_angle?

Likes pranjal verma
haruspex said:
I might have been of help with the shape elsewhere but I know little about contact angles.
Have you read this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_angle?
You can write what ever you know about shape of drops,I will like to learn it as well.

pranjal verma said:
You can write what ever you know about shape of drops,I will like to learn it as well.
Consider a horizontal disc of the drop, height y, thickness dy, radius x.
What equations can you write relating the these to y', y", density, surface tension etc?

1. How does the surface tension of water and mercury affect the shape of a drop on a glass slide?

The surface tension of a liquid is the force that holds the molecules of the liquid together. In the case of water and mercury, water has a higher surface tension than mercury, meaning that it is more resistant to being pulled apart. This results in a more spherical shape for a water droplet on a glass slide compared to a mercury droplet, which will spread out more due to its lower surface tension.

2. What is the role of gravity in determining the shape of a drop of water versus mercury on a glass slide?

Gravity plays a significant role in determining the shape of a liquid droplet on a surface. The force of gravity pulls the droplet downwards, causing it to spread out and flatten. However, the surface tension of the liquid counteracts this force, resulting in a balance between gravity and surface tension that determines the shape of the droplet.

3. Does the contact angle between the liquid and the glass slide impact the shape of the droplet?

Yes, the contact angle, which is the angle at which the liquid meets the surface of the glass slide, can have a significant impact on the shape of the droplet. A higher contact angle means the liquid is less likely to spread out and will form a more spherical shape, while a lower contact angle will result in a flatter, more spread-out droplet.

4. How do external forces, such as air currents, impact the shape of a droplet on a glass slide?

External forces, such as air currents, can cause disturbances in the surface tension of a liquid droplet, leading to changes in its shape. For example, a slight breeze may cause the droplet to deform or even break apart, while a more stable environment will result in a more consistent shape.

5. Are there any other factors that affect the shape of a droplet on a glass slide besides surface tension and gravity?

Yes, there are several other factors that can influence the shape of a droplet on a glass slide. These include the viscosity (thickness) of the liquid, the temperature, and the size and material of the glass slide itself. Additionally, impurities or contaminants in the liquid can also affect its surface tension and therefore impact the droplet's shape.