How the g factor comes from QFT?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of computing corrections due to Quantum Field Theory (QFT) to the g factor. The author establishes a connection between the g factor and QED, and presents a non-relativistic limit of the Hamiltonian predicted by Dirac's equation. The author then uses the Weyl representation to compute the difference between the scalar and spinor field. The conversation also discusses the author's explanation of how the Hamiltonian equation is derived from the Klein-Gordon type equation and how this allows for the value of g to be determined. The conversation concludes with a comparison to the classical limit and the derivation of the gyrofactor being equal to 2.
leo.
I'm reading the book Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model by Matthew Schwartz and currently I'm studying the chapter 17 titled "The anomalous magnetic moment" which is devoted to computing the corrections due to QFT to the g factor.

My main issue is in the beginning of the chapter, where the author tries to establish a connection between the g factor and QED. First the author presents the non-relativistic limit of the Hamiltonian predicted by Dirac's equaton [tex] H = \dfrac{P^2}{2m}+V(R)+\dfrac{e}{2m}\mathbf{B}\cdot(\mathbf{L}+g\mathbf{S})[/tex]. Then he says he wants to extract [itex]g[/itex] without having to take this non-relativistic limit.

First, given Dirac's equation [itex](i\gamma^\mu D_\mu-m)\psi=0[/itex] one can get a Klein-Gordon type equation which is [itex](D_\mu^2+m^2+\frac{e}{2}F_{\mu\nu}\sigma^{\mu\nu})\psi=0[/itex] where [itex]D_\mu = \partial_\mu + ieA_\mu[/itex] is the covariant derivative and [itex]\sigma^{\mu\nu}=\frac{i}{2}[\gamma^\mu,\gamma^\nu][/itex].

The last term is then what tells the difference between the scalar and spinor field. In the Weyl representation one can then compute [tex] \dfrac{e}{2}F_{\mu\nu}\sigma^{\mu\nu}=-e\begin{pmatrix}(\vec{B}+i\vec{E})\cdot\vec{\sigma} & 0 \\ 0 & (\vec{B}-i\vec{E})\cdot \vec{\sigma}\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

My doubt then is that the author says that "going to momentum space, [itex](D_\mu^2+m^2+\frac{e}{2}F_{\mu\nu}\sigma^{\mu\nu})\psi=0[/itex] implies" [tex]\dfrac{\left(H-eA_0\right)^2}{2m}\psi=\left(\dfrac{m}{2}+\dfrac{(\mathbf{p}-e\mathbf{A})^2}{2m}-2\dfrac{e}{2m}\mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{S}\pm i\dfrac{e}{m}\mathbf{E}\cdot\mathbf{S}\right)\psi[/tex]

This is my first issue. How this is true? I mean, what is this Hamiltonian [itex]H[/itex] in the LHS and how this equation follows from the first KG type equation derived from the Dirac equation? This is not the classical limit, so I'm missing something here.

After that, the author says that "this can be compared directly to the classical limit to read off the strenght of the magnetic dipole intraction [itex]ge\mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{S}[/itex] and since [itex]\mathbf{S}=\frac{\vec{\sigma}}{2}[/itex] we find [itex]g=2[/itex]"

Here's my second doubt, how the author is making this comparison? I mean it doesn't seem so direct as he says.

So how he derives that equation from the KG type equation, and how this allows him to read of the value of [itex]g[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
One should note that you can do the analogous calculation directly for the Pauli equation. The trick is to write
$$2m \hat{H}_1=[\vec{\sigma} \cdot (\hat{\vec{p}}-q \vec{A})]^2$$
with the Pauli matrices ##\vec{\sigma}##. Multiplying this out gives
$$2m \hat{H}_1=(\vec{\sigma} \cdot \hat{\vec{p}})^2 + q^2 (\vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{A})^2 + q [(\vec{\sigma} \cdot \hat{\vec{p}})(\vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{A}) + (\vec{\sigma} \cdot\vec{A})(\vec{\sigma} \cdot \hat{\vec{p}})].$$
Since
$$\sigma_j \sigma_k+\sigma_k \sigma_j=2 \delta_{kj}$$
and since the ##\hat{\vec{p}}## commute and also the ##\vec{A}## commute with each other you get
$$2m \hat{H}_1 = \hat{\vec{p}}^2 + q^2 \vec{A}^2 q [(\vec{\sigma} \cdot \hat{\vec{p}})(\vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{A}) + (\vec{\sigma} \cdot\vec{A})(\vec{\sigma} \cdot \hat{\vec{p}})].$$
For the last term we have
$$\sigma_j \sigma_k (\hat{p}_j A_k+A_j \hat{p}_k)=\frac{1}{2} \left [\{\sigma_j,\sigma_k \} + [\sigma_j,\sigma_k] \right] (\hat{p}_j A_k + A_j \hat{p}_k)=
[\delta_{jk} + \mathrm{i} \epsilon_{jkl} \sigma_l] (\hat{p}_j A_k + A_j \hat{p}_k)=\hat{\vec{p}} \cdot \vec{A}+\vec{A} \cdot \vec{p} + \mathrm{i} \epsilon_{jkl} \sigma_l [-\mathrm{i} \partial_j A_k + A_k \hat{p}_j + A_j \hat{p}_k]= \hat{\vec{p}} \cdot \vec{A}+\vec{A} \cdot \vec{p} + \vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{B}.$$
So we finally have
$$\hat{H}=H_1+q \phi=\frac{1}{2m} [(\hat{\vec{p}}-q \vec{A})^2 + 2 q \vec{S} \cdot \vec{B}]+q \phi.$$
We have used that the spin is ##\vec{S}=\vec{\sigma}/2##. This shows that the gyrofactor should be 2.

Likes odietrich

1. What is the "g factor" in QFT and why is it important?

The "g factor" in QFT refers to the gyromagnetic ratio, which is a measure of how a particle's spin is affected by external magnetic fields. It is important because it provides insight into the fundamental properties of particles and is used in various calculations and theoretical models in quantum field theory.

2. How is the g factor derived from QFT?

The g factor is derived from QFT through the use of mathematical equations and principles, such as the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of fermions in a relativistic quantum field theory. By solving these equations, physicists can determine the g factor for different particles.

3. What is the relationship between the g factor and the spin of a particle?

The g factor is directly related to the spin of a particle. In fact, it is a measure of the strength of the magnetic moment of a particle, which is determined by its spin. Therefore, the g factor provides important information about the spin properties of particles.

4. How does the g factor help to understand the behavior of particles in different environments?

The g factor helps to understand the behavior of particles in different environments because it can be used to predict how particles will interact with external magnetic fields. This information is crucial for experiments and applications in fields such as nuclear magnetic resonance and particle accelerators.

5. Are there any current research efforts focused on the g factor in QFT?

Yes, there are ongoing research efforts focused on the g factor in QFT. Scientists are constantly trying to improve their understanding of this fundamental property and its implications for various theories and experiments. Some current research topics include the g factor of exotic particles and its potential connection to the nature of dark matter.