How Can I Solve for d in This Equation and What Software Can Verify It?

• I
  • Thread starter Mech_LS24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approach
Summary: The speaker suggests using software such as W|A, Mathematica, or Matlab to check and possibly solve the equation for "d". They also recommend making substitutions and using a Weierstraß substitution to attack the expression.
Mech_LS24
TL;DR Summary
I would like to solve the equation for "d".
Dear mathematicians,

I am getting stuck solving this equation for "d". And what (free)software would you recommend to check this equation?
IMG_20220827_130742__01.jpg

SolveFord.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use desmos or something or wolfram alpha

Likes topsquark and Mech_LS24
Mech_LS24 said:
Summary: I would like to solve the equation for "d".

Dear mathematicians,

I am getting stuck solving this equation for "d". And what (free)software would you recommend to check this equation?
View attachment 313333

View attachment 313334

Thanks a lot!
Unless something cancels it's going to be a 10th order polynomial. And given your numbers it's highly unlikely to be factorable. W|A, Mathematica, or Matlab would be my suggestions.

-Dan

Likes fresh_42 and Mech_LS24
If you really want to attack that expression, I recommend the substitutions ##x=0.033^2 -d^2 ## and ##y=0.033^2+d^2##. And you should consider using a Weierstraß substitution!

Likes Mech_LS24, topsquark and malawi_glenn

1. How do I know which method to use when solving an equation?

The method you use to solve an equation depends on the type of equation you are dealing with. Some common methods include substitution, elimination, graphing, and factoring. It is important to understand the properties and rules of each method in order to determine the most efficient approach for a given equation.

2. What is the order of operations when solving an equation?

The order of operations when solving an equation is the same as when simplifying an expression. This means you should first simplify any expressions within parentheses, then evaluate exponents, followed by multiplication and division from left to right, and finally addition and subtraction from left to right. It is important to follow this order to ensure accurate solutions.

3. How do I check if my solution to an equation is correct?

To check if your solution to an equation is correct, you can plug the solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If the solution makes the equation true, then it is a valid solution. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both sides of the equation and see if they intersect at the given solution.

4. What should I do if I get a negative solution when solving an equation?

If you get a negative solution when solving an equation, it is important to check your work and make sure you did not make a mistake. If you are confident in your work and the negative solution is valid, then you can leave it as is. However, if the negative solution does not make sense in the context of the problem, you may need to reevaluate your approach and try a different method.

5. Is it possible to have more than one solution to an equation?

Yes, it is possible to have more than one solution to an equation. This is known as a system of equations, where there are multiple unknown variables that can be solved for. In this case, you will need to find a solution for each variable in order to fully solve the system of equations. It is also possible to have no solutions or an infinite number of solutions for certain types of equations.