What do applied mathematicians deal with?

• I
  • Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Applied
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between applied mathematicians, pure mathematicians, and physicists. While applied mathematics involves the practical application of math in fields like physics, biology, and economics, pure mathematics is more theoretical and can also have applications in physics. The conversation also mentions the different mindsets and approaches of these professionals, with the pure mathematician focusing on elegance and the applied mathematician focusing on practicality. The conversation also shares insights from famous mathematicians, Freeman Dyson and Richard Feynman, on the differences between mathematicians and physicists.
mech-eng
TL;DR Summary
I am looking for the basic differences of applied mathematicians from pure mathematicians and physicists.
Hello. I have this question in my mind many years. I need to clarify my confused mind. I wonder how applied mathematicians differ from pure mathematicians and physicists. Many years ago I read that applied mathematicians and pure mathematicians do not like each other. Is this true? To me, as the name suggests, applied mathematics is application of mathematics, and this mostly happens in physics, biology (maybe computational biology?), chemistry and economics.

1. Physics also deals a lot with mathematics. Physicists already apply mathematics. There are even fields as "mathematical physics" and the books written on that fields full of application of mathematics to physical phenomena.

2. I have checked the fields of pure mathematics. One of them was topology and geometry. But aren't topology and geometry also find application in physics, so they are applicable fields, not pure.

Would you please explain the facts?

Regards,

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Pure mathematics is like classical music; applied mathematics is more like jazz; and physics is like rock and roll.

• Love
  • Haha
Likes mcastillo356 and jedishrfu
A physicist would throw some equations together on the blackboard and say see that seems to work.

The applied mathematician would look at the mess and say we need to clean that up a bit.

The pure mathematician would say what's with all those numbers and ugh you use that brand of chalk, I only use Hagoromo chalk to write my sublime proofs found in The Book.

Dyson's life story may give an idea of the differences too:

https://plus.maths.org/content/freeman-dyson-dies-96

• Informative
Likes DrClaude, topsquark, mech-eng and 1 other person
And here's Feynman's take on mathematicians:

• Informative
Likes DrClaude, topsquark and mech-eng
mech-eng said:
1. Physics also deals a lot with mathematics. Physicists already apply mathematics. There are even fields as "mathematical physics" and the books written on that fields full of application of mathematics to physical phenomena.
My mentor used to say: 'There are two types of physicists: mathematicians and blacksmiths.'

This probably describes the mindsets more than the actual fields.
mech-eng said:
2. I have checked the fields of pure mathematics. One of them was topology and geometry. But aren't topology and geometry also find application in physics, so they are applicable fields, not pure.
You can find applications for almost all parts of mathematics. If you look at the real world and take applied literally, then you are left with statistics and stochastics, maybe also numerical analysis (but this is widely substituted by shear computer power) as applied mathematics, and the rest is pure mathematics, regardless of any flimsy applications notwithstanding.

• Informative
Likes mech-eng

What do applied mathematicians deal with?

Applied mathematicians use mathematical principles and techniques to solve real-world problems in fields such as engineering, physics, biology, and economics.

What is the difference between pure and applied mathematics?

Pure mathematics focuses on the development of abstract mathematical theories and concepts, while applied mathematics uses these theories to solve practical problems in various fields.

What skills are necessary to become an applied mathematician?

Applied mathematicians should have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts, critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and computer programming knowledge.

What are some common applications of applied mathematics?

Applied mathematics is used in a wide range of fields, including but not limited to: financial modeling, data analysis, optimization, cryptography, fluid dynamics, and signal processing.

What career opportunities are available for applied mathematicians?

Applied mathematicians can pursue careers in various industries, such as finance, technology, research, and government agencies. They can also work as consultants, educators, or researchers in academic institutions.