How to be a genius without an education.

In summary, the conversation discussed various steps to appear as a genius without an education. These steps include wearing a long scarf year round, growing a nasty beard, saying words like "tachyons", lying about one's education and connections, being active in a physics community, and learning a proof to write on windows and walls. The conversation also mentioned Grigori Perelman, a mathematician who declined a prestigious award due to the lack of ethical standards in the mathematics community.
Monocerotis
Gold Member
Step 1: Wear a long scarf year round.

Professor Gerald Lambeau from Good Will Hunting. Look at this dude, he's a math professor at MIT and he's always wearing a long scarf. Indoor, outdoor, summer, winter, a scarf is a necessary accessory for a genius. Some would argue a scarf is more important than a pen or pencil when working through complex mathematics problems.

2ccxx6a.jpg

Step 2: Grow a nasty beard.

Face the facts chump, you're too busy trying to develop a unified theory of everything to worry about shaving. Let that nasty beard grow, the longer it gets the smarter you become. Don't believe me ? Just walk though any science wing at a top university in the world, and you'll see two things: 1) brown shoes with white socks, 2) scraggly neck beards. It comes with the territory.

24dj05k.jpg

Step 3: Tachyons

Saying this word when talking to an individual or group of people instantly raises your IQ by 10 points.

edit: deleted due to caption.

Step 4: Lying

Lying is essential to being a genius without an education, and this has to do primarily with social evolution. The 60's were about peace and love, 70's were all about drugs. The 1980's were about superficiality and the 90's were about nonconformists. This decade is all about imaginary perception, and it's more important what other people think than what actually is. Tell people you're a PhD. 3 times over and that you're colleagues with Kip Thorne. It's not like anyone would call ********, they're too afraid that if you start explaining something intelligent they wouldn't understand anything.

24zeij4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ahahaahh! Funniest thread ever

Step 5: Being active.

Tell you are part of a physics community doing physics in the cloud (i.e. cloud computing)

holodec-inflight.jpg

The guy with the beard is Grigori Perelman. I remember reading about him few years ago. He was awarded the Field Medal, which he declined to accept.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigori_Perelman

As of the spring of 2003, Perelman no longer works at the Steklov Institute.[4] His friends are said to have stated that he currently finds mathematics a painful topic to discuss; some even say that he has abandoned mathematics entirely.[15] According to a 2006 interview, Perelman is currently jobless, living with his mother in Saint Petersburg.[4]

Although Perelman says in a The New Yorker article that he is disappointed with the ethical standards of the field of mathematics, the article implies that Perelman refers particularly to Yau's efforts to downplay Perelman's role in the proof and play up the work of Cao and Zhu. Perelman has said that "I can't say I'm outraged. Other people do worse. Of course, there are many mathematicians who are more or less honest. But almost all of them are conformists. They are more or less honest, but they tolerate those who are not honest."[3] He has also said that "It is not people who break ethical standards who are regarded as aliens. It is people like me who are isolated."[3]

This, combined with the possibility of being awarded a Fields medal, led him to quit professional mathematics. He has said that "As long as I was not conspicuous, I had a choice. Either to make some ugly thing [a fuss about the mathematics community's lack of integrity] or, if I didn't do this kind of thing, to be treated as a pet. Now, when I become a very conspicuous person, I cannot stay a pet and say nothing. That is why I had to quit."[3]

Haha, excellent thread.

LMAO great thread! Loved the nasty beard part that made my day actually.

Haven't seen Good Will Hunting, but it looks like those students are taking an introductory linear algebra course.

whs said:
Haven't seen Good Will Hunting, but it looks like those students are taking an introductory linear algebra course.

it's a good movie. they were doing combinatorics and game theory.

Step 6:

Learn a proof (careful selection is the key) and write it on every window and wall you can find. The best proofs are those with that funny big S thingy and some of those lim things and maybe a few of those x's and y's with the little stripies or squigglies on them. Those confuse everybody and make you look smart.

If you can't learn a proof, face it, it's tough to find one that looks cool and is easy to use, then just use the big S and squigglies and stuff and make up your own equations. Leaving out the equal signs will really get them guessing.

:tongue:

Monocerotis said:
...It's not like anyone would call ********, they're too afraid that if you start explaining something intelligent they wouldn't understand anything.

:rofl:

what about females, do you have any advice for them?

drizzle said:
:rofl:

what about females, do you have any advice for them?

Some guys prefer crust on their sammitches while others do not. When in doubt, ask!

\I keed, I keed! o:)

1. How can I become a genius without an education?

There is no one definitive way to become a genius without an education, as different people may have different definitions of what a "genius" is. However, some strategies that may help include self-education through reading, practicing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and seeking out mentors or experts in your field of interest.

2. Can natural intelligence alone make someone a genius without an education?

Natural intelligence can certainly play a role in one's potential for genius, but it is not the only factor. Education and exposure to new ideas and concepts can also greatly contribute to one's intelligence and creativity. Additionally, hard work and dedication are often necessary to fully develop one's potential, regardless of natural intelligence.

3. Are there any successful geniuses who did not have a formal education?

Yes, there have been many successful individuals throughout history who did not have a formal education. Examples include Albert Einstein, who dropped out of school at age 15, and Benjamin Franklin, who only had two years of formal schooling. However, it is important to note that these individuals were still highly self-educated and dedicated to learning throughout their lives.

4. Is it possible to achieve the same level of success without an education as someone with a degree?

While it is certainly possible to achieve success without a formal education, it may be more challenging in certain fields. Some jobs and industries may require specific certifications or degrees, and having a formal education can provide valuable skills and knowledge. However, success ultimately depends on an individual's drive, determination, and ability to learn and adapt.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of not having a formal education in pursuit of genius?

Not having a formal education may limit one's access to resources and opportunities. It may also be more difficult to gain recognition or credibility in certain fields without a degree or formal training. Additionally, without a structured education, it may be more challenging to develop certain skills or knowledge that could be beneficial in achieving success as a genius.