How to break up kinetic energy for circular motion?

In summary, the total kinetic energy of the system is equal to the sum of the kinetic energies of the individual particles.
Nate Stevens

Homework Statement

Problem.png

Figure 1.png

Homework Equations

L = T-V
For constant frequency tangential velocity is (radius)*(w)

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find r(t) using the Langrangian L = T-V

I just was not sure whether I am on the right track for calculating the total kinetic energy for the above system correctly.

Part I.png

Part II.png

Part III.png

Part IIII.png

Have I done okay so far?

Attachments

• Problem.png
    Problem.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 780
  • Figure 1.png
    Figure 1.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 833
  • Part I.png
    Part I.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 1,176
  • Part II.png
    Part II.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 881
  • Part III.png
    Part III.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 286
  • Part III.png
    Part III.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 922
  • Part IIII.png
    Part IIII.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 836
Physics news on Phys.org
##\dot r## should be positive when r is increasing. You seem to be using it the other way.
In calculating "vtan,+" you lost ω somewhere. As a result your final equation is dimensionally inconsistent.

haruspex said:
##\dot r## should be positive when r is increasing. You seem to be using it the other way.
In calculating "vtan,+" you lost ω somewhere. As a result your final equation is dimensionally inconsistent.

Didn't I account for r dot's negative sign when adding "vtan, +" and "vtan, -"? (you are right though that initially I didn't attach a negative sign, which is incorrect) And good catch on the ω. I just dropped it when plugging into (vtan, +)-(vtan, -).

Nate Stevens said:
Didn't I account for r dot's negative sign when adding "vtan, +" and "vtan, -"? (you are right though that initially I didn't attach a negative sign, which is incorrect) And good catch on the ω. I just dropped it when plugging into (vtan, +)-(vtan, -).
You had not defined that subscript notation. I was reading the first sentence of the second image: "the spring will pull the mass towards ..."
Also, that is not what you mean. It has nothing to do with the spring's pull. It is simply that changing r leads to a component of the particle's velocity in the tangential direction.

What I did not pick up is that you also have a sign problem with the other contributor. The way you have defined θ and ω in the diagram, ##\dot\theta=-\omega##.

Bottom line, increasing r contributes a leftward motion and positive (anticlockwise) ω does likewise, so your final equation should have +, not -.

Nate Stevens said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 235085
View attachment 235086

Homework Equations

L = T-V
For constant frequency tangential velocity is (radius)*(w)

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find r(t) using the Langrangian L = T-V

I just was not sure whether I am on the right track for calculating the total kinetic energy for the above system correctly.

View attachment 235091

View attachment 235092
View attachment 235094
View attachment 235095
Have I done okay so far?

I like to do these things in the most straightforward way, avoiding too much "thinking" and fancy geometry. So, I would write the position vector for the center of the long rod as ##\vec{x}_c(t) = ( l \cos (\omega t), l \sin(\omega t))## ---- assuming that the center is at ##(l,0)## when ##t = 0.## The perpendicular direction along the long rod from its center is ##\vec{d} = (-\sin(\omega t), \cos(\omega t)),## so the position vector of the mass at time ##t## is
$$\vec{r}_m (t) = \vec{x}_c(t) + r(t) \vec{d} = (l \cos(\omega t) - r(t) \sin(\omega t), \ \sin(\omega t) + r(t) \cos(\omega t)) \hspace{3ex}(1)$$
You can find the velocity ##\vec{V}_m (t)## of the mass by differentiating wrt ##t## in equation (1). Then you can expand and simplify to obtaing a pretty nice expression for ##V_m^2, ##. The resulting total kinetic energy is quite simple. I did not bother to try to separate the kinetic energy into radial and tangential components, because I could not see any reason for doing so.

Related to How to break up kinetic energy for circular motion?

1. How is kinetic energy involved in circular motion?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In circular motion, an object is constantly changing its direction, therefore, it is constantly accelerating and possesses kinetic energy.

2. How do you calculate the kinetic energy in circular motion?

The formula for kinetic energy in circular motion is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What happens to kinetic energy in circular motion when the velocity changes?

If the velocity increases, the kinetic energy will also increase, and if the velocity decreases, the kinetic energy will decrease as well. This is because kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of the velocity.

4. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy in circular motion?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy, when the object reaches the highest point in its circular path. This is known as the law of conservation of energy.

5. How can you break up kinetic energy in circular motion into its horizontal and vertical components?

In circular motion, the kinetic energy can be broken up into its horizontal and vertical components using vector analysis. The horizontal component is equal to the total kinetic energy multiplied by the cosine of the angle of rotation, while the vertical component is equal to the total kinetic energy multiplied by the sine of the angle of rotation.