How to Build a 3 Element Yagi Antenna and Analyze It with Free SDR Software

In summary: Measurement tools;Simulation software;Noise floor;Measurement tools;Simulation software;Software to measure directional gain;Noise floor;Measurement tools;Simulation software;Software to measure directional gain.
houlahound
Just sharing, to explore EM theory you can build a highly directional 3 element yagi antenna and usecfree SDR software to analyse it. The only cost is a SDR receiver if you want quantitative data.If someone wants to edit me I will write a detailed method and parts list including a tone generator and RF transmitter diagram etc with about 10 parts, no soldering needs.

Super cool non trivial physics made easy.

Engineering news on Phys.org
At 90 degrees he n was -120 at zero degrees gain was -70 at 180 degrees gain was -80... That is highly directional in my opinion.

The goal of the project is to optimise that and or add more elements.

Angles are rel to omnidirectional VHF transmitter at very low power.

houlahound said:
At 90 degrees he n was -120 at zero degrees gain was -70 at 180 degrees gain was -80... That is highly directional in my opinion.

The goal of the project is to optimise that and or add more elements.

Angles are rel to omnidirectional VHF transmitter at very low power.

Directionality is not so much about comparing forward power to orthogonal power -- most Yagis will have good cancellation at 90 degrees. But as you add more elements, you get more directionality:

Yagi Gain vs Elements.jpg

berkeman said:
Directionality is not so much about comparing forward power to orthogonal power -- most Yagis will have good cancellation at 90 degrees. :

indeed. even a plain dipole has near zero radiation off its endsDave

The forward to back ratio was the key parameter in this project.
Curious, is it valid to take the ratio of two db measurements at different angles to give a measure of gain or just use the difference?

What the measurement tool reads is in reference to what is unclear.The -120 db is just the noise floor which changes every other day, -120db relative to what??

houlahound said:
The -120 db is just the noise floor which changes every other day, -120db relative to what??

you missed the important reference -120dBm not -120dB
actually its quite easy to get a receiver sensitivity to -120dBm

have a look at this site ...
http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/rf-technology-design/rf-noise-sensitivity/noise-floor.php

and this one ...
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5952-8255E.pdf

there are dozens of others

here's a diagram I drew up many yrs ago using various references, when I was deep into
microwave band communications
Pathloss calcs.gif

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Theoretical and measured rarely agree in practical antennas. I would like to see your measured values.

The point of the project is this can be done for under $30 with household equipment.

Correction under $10 and that cost is for the coax connectors.

Dave I do appreciate the links, will read them.

houlahound said:
Theoretical and measured rarely agree in practical antennas.

Not when you use quality antenna simulation software. :smile:

Are you by chance located in Northern California? Pacificon is coming up soon (amateur radio annual conference for NorCal), and the Friday seminar is a great antenna seminar. I highly recommend it and the ARRL Antenna Handbook...

www.pacificon.org

not in US, would love to go tho. any recommendations on design software?

sample data, hope you can view it;

upload_2015-9-26_18-7-17.png
SDR interface;

upload_2015-9-26_18-8-38.png
noise

Related to How to Build a 3 Element Yagi Antenna and Analyze It with Free SDR Software

1. What is a Yagi antenna?

A Yagi antenna is a directional antenna commonly used for radio communication. It is made up of a dipole element, a reflector, and several director elements that work together to focus the signal in a specific direction.

2. How does a Yagi antenna work?

A Yagi antenna works by using the dipole element as the source of the signal, which is then reflected and focused by the reflector and director elements. The director elements act as barriers to prevent the signal from spreading in all directions, resulting in a more focused and stronger signal in the desired direction.

3. What materials are needed to conduct a Yagi antenna experiment?

The materials needed for a Yagi antenna experiment include a metal rod for the dipole element, a metal sheet for the reflector, metal rods for the director elements, a balun, coaxial cable, and a power source. Tools such as pliers, wire cutters, and a soldering iron may also be necessary.

4. What are the steps to build a Yagi antenna for an experiment?

The steps to build a Yagi antenna for an experiment may vary depending on the specific design and materials being used, but generally include: determining the desired frequency and dimensions of the antenna, cutting and shaping the elements according to those dimensions, attaching the elements to a support structure, connecting the coaxial cable and balun to the dipole element, and testing the antenna's performance.

5. What are some potential applications of a Yagi antenna?

Yagi antennas are commonly used in radio and television broadcasting, as well as in wireless communication systems such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. They are also used in satellite communication and radio astronomy. In addition, Yagi antennas can be used for amateur radio and as part of home or commercial radio equipment setups.