How to build a qubit (theoretically)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a qubit and how to theoretically implement and manipulate it. It also includes a reference to a formula for the effective Hamiltonian of a charge qubit and the derivation of this formula. The conversation also mentions the use of quantum dots for creating qubits and the possibility of using a student to emulate a qubit system. The conversation ends with a clarification that the task is to express the time evolution of the Hamiltonian under the Schrodinger equation and how to simulate it using analytical tools.
WAAAGH
TL;DR Summary
My professor leaves me guidance on my dissertation and he instructs me to include the method of building a qubit theoretically.And I have no idea what it is at all.
And I was asked to include the deviation and the inherent process of the effective Hamiltonian of the charge qubit and the equation as well. And some of the derivation of the Hamiltonian as well. P.S The effective Hamiltonian formula is from the reference of :

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323562386_Qubits_based_on_semiconductor_quantum_dots

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, a Qubit is "simply" a two dimensional i.e. two "state" quantum system. You would have to describe what physical system you wish to theoretically use and how to implement all of the possible unitary transformations on that system in a controlled fashion. Since a lone qubit isn't worth much I would suppose you will need to also implement coherent transformations on a pair of such qubits, reading and writing their "quantum state" etc. Basically how to implement all the unitary transformations on a two qubit system with emphasis on those which correspond to classic logical operations, state exchanges and reading and writing.

Likes vanhees71
I don't need to theoretically build a Qubit, because for the theorist it's enough to state: "consider an arbitrary two-level system". To the contrary the question is entirely experimental, and I don't know the details, how real-world quantum dots are really fabricated. There must be a plethora of literature about this since quantum dots are a hot topic in condensed-matter physics for several years (if not decades).

Likes Quark Effect and jambaugh
You can employ another PhD student, hide him in a black-box with a coin (suitably rigged or not) and let him flip the coin. The output will be the same as output of some two-state quantum system, assuming the coin and the system state probabilities are the same.
That is how to create QuStudent emulating one QuBit. What the student is doing between your observations, you don't know.
To emulate a system of two QuBits is easy, just flip the coin two times. If you want qubits entanglement, just tell the student to flip once, observe the outcome and put the opposite outcome on the second (entangled) qubit.

Last edited:
Subluna said:
That is how to create QuStudent emulating one QuBit.

No, it isn't. What you describe realizes a classical bit, not a qubit. You cannot model quantum interference phenomena this way.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
No, it isn't. What you describe realizes a classical bit, not a qubit. You cannot model quantum interference phenomena this way.
How to model just one qubit?
ok, this QuStudent is not enough for performing real quantum computation,
but I assume that reading a qubit we get 0 or 1, with corresponding probabilities. Is it true?
Doing this N times (or using N students simultaneously) we get roughly N1 state 0 and N2 state 1, N1+N2 =N ?

Last edited:
Subluna said:
How to model just one qubit?

With the complex Hilbert space ##\mathbb{C}^2## and the appropriate operators on it.

Subluna said:
I assume that reading a qubit we get 0 or 1, with corresponding probabilities.

Yes. But "reading a qubit" is not the only thing you can do with a qubit.

Subluna said:
Doing this N times (or using N students simultaneously) we get roughly N1 state 0 and N2 state 1, N1+N2 =N ?

Not using N students simultaneously, because the task was to build just one qubit, not N of them.

Reading the one qubit N times, yes. But again, just reading the qubit N times is not the only thing you can do. Your model has to include all the things you can do with the qubit, not just reading it.

Actually , my professor just clarified that he wants me to express the time evolution of the Hamiltonian under the Schrodinger equation (time - depended) and how to simulate it using analytical tool such as Matlab

WAAAGH said:
the time evolution of the Hamiltonian under the Schrodinger equation (time - depended)

The Schrodinger Equation doesn't determine the time evolution of the Hamiltonian. It determines the time evolution of the wave function. The Hamiltonian's time evolution, if any, has to be known in advance and plugged into the equation.

1. What is a qubit?

A qubit, short for quantum bit, is the basic unit of quantum information. It is the quantum equivalent of a classical bit, which can exist in either a 0 or 1 state. However, unlike a classical bit, a qubit can exist in a superposition of both states simultaneously, allowing for exponentially more information to be processed and stored.

2. How do you physically build a qubit?

There are several ways to physically build a qubit, but the most common method is using a quantum system such as an ion trap, superconducting circuit, or quantum dot. These systems have the ability to manipulate and control individual quantum states, allowing for the creation and manipulation of qubits.

3. What is the theoretical limit for the number of qubits that can be built?

Theoretically, there is no limit to the number of qubits that can be built. However, the practical limit is dependent on the physical system used to build the qubits and the level of control and precision that can be achieved. Currently, the largest number of qubits in a single system is around 50, but researchers are constantly working to increase this number.

4. How do qubits differ from classical bits?

Qubits differ from classical bits in several ways. As mentioned earlier, qubits can exist in a superposition of both 0 and 1 states, while classical bits can only exist in one of these states at a time. Additionally, qubits can also be entangled with other qubits, allowing for the creation of quantum states that cannot be described by classical physics.

5. What are the potential applications of qubits?

Qubits have the potential to revolutionize computing, cryptography, and communication. They can be used to solve complex problems that are currently intractable for classical computers, and their ability to exist in multiple states simultaneously makes them ideal for cryptography and secure communication. Additionally, qubits can also be used for quantum simulations, allowing for a better understanding of complex systems such as chemical reactions and materials.