How to Calculate Average Speed for a Commuter?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the average speed of a commuter who drives 14 miles to work. The commuter averages 25 miles per hour on the first 7 miles and must go faster on the second half to average 40 miles per hour for the entire drive. The solution involves calculating the time and distance for each half of the drive and then finding the average speed. In a similar example, Louise runs a race and her average speed is calculated using the time and distance for each half of the race. Ultimately, the average speed for both scenarios is found by dividing the total distance by the total time.
Andyjimbo
[SOLVED] Average speed

Hi, Please could someone enlighten me as to how to solve the following, given that the total time of the journey is not given?

A commuter drives to work 14 miles. Due to traffic, the commuter averages 25 miles per hour on the first 7 miles of the drive. How fast must the commuter go on average on the second half to average 40 miles per hour for the entire drive?

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that 7 miles is half of 14 miles...

Thank you for your reply. I had noticed that! However, given that 55mph is the wrong answer I still lack the tools to finish the job. Please could you tell me how to solve this, then I'll be equipped for life :)

this should help ya...:

Louise runs the first half of a race at 5 miles per hour. Then she picks up her pace and runs the last half of the race at 10 miles per hour. What is her average speed on the course?
A The answer is not 7.5 miles per hour. Assume the course is 20 miles long. Louise needs 2 hours to run the first 10 miles (the first half of the course) and 1 hour to run the last 10 miles (the last half), meaning she needs 3 hours to run the total of 20 miles. Therefore, her average speed is 6.7 (or 6 2/3) miles per hour.

Okay - So:

7 miles at 25mph = 16min 48 secs

14 miles at 40mph = 21 mins

21mins - 16.8 mins = 4.2mins

So the driver must do:

7miles in 4.2 mins = 100 mph (99.99999)

to average 40mph for the whole journey. Am I right?

what do you think...?

I think I love ya... :0

keep loving me...:p

U are right dear...

ENJOY!

Related to How to Calculate Average Speed for a Commuter?

1. What is the definition of "average speed of commuter"?

The average speed of commuter refers to the average rate at which a person travels from one location to another during their daily commute.

2. How is the average speed of commuter calculated?

The average speed of commuter is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled during a commute by the total time it takes to complete the commute.

3. What factors can affect the average speed of commuter?

The average speed of commuter can be affected by various factors such as traffic conditions, mode of transportation, distance traveled, and time of day.

4. Why is it important to study the average speed of commuter?

Studying the average speed of commuter can help transportation planners and policymakers make informed decisions to improve commuter experiences and reduce travel times. It can also help individuals plan their daily commutes more efficiently.

5. How can the average speed of commuter impact the environment?

The average speed of commuter can have a significant impact on the environment as it affects the amount of fuel consumption and emissions from vehicles. Higher average speeds can lead to increased air pollution and contribute to climate change.