How to calculate elastic modulus

In summary: The shear force diagram in the attachment does not appear to be correct. You need to provide a diagram that shows the shear force distribution for the entire beam, not just for the sections shown. Additionally, you need to calculate the bending moment distribution for the entire beam, not just for the sections shown. Once you have these calculations, you will be much closer to having a solution to your problem.
I don't know that is why I guessed ? I'm not sure what the units would be this is why I'm using this forum for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
John54321 said:
I don't know that is why I guessed ? I'm not sure what the units would be this is why I'm using this forum for help.

The Rules in the HW Forums at PF allow helpers to guide those with questions. We are not supposed to do your work for you.
You must do some work in order to learn the material.

I asked you to write out the units in the calculation quoted below:

John54321 said:
So its got to be 184.375 (Knm) / 120 Mpa = 1.5365

You have kN-m / MPa. I also told you that pascals (Pa) are derived units. Do you know the definition of a pascal?

I understand that this is why I have showed all of my workings for the first 4 parts of the question.

Mpa is a unit measure of pressure.

John54321 said:
I understand that this is why I have showed all of my workings for the first 4 parts of the question.

Mpa is a unit measure of pressure.
Yes, that's what it measures, but the pascal is a derived unit, which means it is made up of a combination of other units. What are those units?

Yes internal stress, young modulus and ulltimate tensile strength.

John54321 said:
Yes internal stress, young modulus and ulltimate tensile strength.
No. You keep describing things which Pascals are used to measure.

A pascal is made up of other units, things like meters, kilograms, and whatnot. Which other units are used to make pascals?

Hint: it's OK to google "pascal" if you don't know the answer off the top of your head.

It's made up of N for Newton M for metre kg kilogram s second

John54321 said:
It's made up of N for Newton M for metre kg kilogram s second
Yes, but how? What is the particular combination of these units which make up a Pascal but not something else?

Complete, this sentence: 1 pascal = 1 ?

Hi SteamKing

1 pascal = 1 m ^-1 kg s^-2

John54321 said:
Hi SteamKing

1 pascal = 1 m ^-1 kg s^-2
That's better.

A pascal is also expressed as a force / unit area. For our purposes, 1 Pa = 1 N / m2

Getting back to your last calculation:

John54321 said:
So its got to be 184.375 (Knm) / 120 Mpa = 1.5365

if you divided 103 N-m by (106 N/m2), what's left over?

10^3N-m / 10^6N/^2 = 0.001n-m 0r 0.000001n-m^2 after its sqt

Not sure this is correct not done nothing like this before

John54321 said:
10^3N-m / 10^6N/^2 = 0.001n-m 0r 0.000001n-m^2 after its sqt

Not sure this is correct not done nothing like this before
Sure you have, if you've studied algebra. Except instead of dividing units like N and m2, you were working with things like x and y. It's the same principle.

Now, in your calculation above, you are close, but there's a small error. I'm going to switch to Latex and make it easier to see:

##\frac{10^3 N⋅m}{10^6\frac{N}{m^2}} ##

Can you reduce the expression above, cancelling out the units which can cancel?

Morning SteamKing

Are you talking about seeing it like this 1/1000 n-m^2 ?

If not I am not sure what to do if this isn't correct.
I

John54321 said:
Morning SteamKing

Are you talking about seeing it like this 1/1000 n-m^2 ?

If not I am not sure what to do if this isn't correct.

I

Yes, but you're still not cancelling the units properly.

Remember, if you have a fraction like this: ##\frac{a}{\frac{a}{b}} ##

you invert the denominator and multiply by the numerator, like so: ##\frac{a}{\frac{a}{b}} = a ⋅ \frac{b}{a}=b##

Do this with your expression for the units: ##\frac{10^3 N⋅m}{10^6\frac{N}{m^2}}## and see what's left.

So N-m being the denominator makes it be multiplied to N-M^2 end up as the numerator.

Sorry I don't get this ? maybe I need to sit down with someone and get this covered as I am running out of time.

Thanks for your help and patience.

John54321 said:
So N-m being the denominator makes it be multiplied to N-M^2 end up as the numerator.

Sorry I don't get this ? maybe I need to sit down with someone and get this covered as I am running out of time.

If you start with ##\frac{10^3 N⋅m}{10^6\frac{N}{m^2}}##, then you get ##\frac{10^3 N⋅m}{10^6}⋅\frac{m^2}{N}## . Can you carry it the rest of the way, now?

So what your saying is the units just change over ie n-m = m-n

John54321 said:
So what your saying is the units just change over ie n-m = m-n
It's not clear what you mean here.

Newtons multiplied by meters (N-m) is the same as meters multiplied by Newtons (m-N). That's the same as saying a * b = b * a.

And it's also not the point of writing ##\frac{10^3 N⋅m}{10^6}⋅\frac{m^2}{N}##

If you simplify the indicated multiplication, you'll see that the Newtons cancel entirely.

John54321 said:

This may be a better use of your time. You have much remedial work in basic arithmetic and algebra which you need to catch up on. I'm not sure that studying beam problems is going to provide this catch up work, and the work will only get harder.

We are constrained by the rules of PF as to how much help we can give posters, and PF is not an efficient way to teach someone the basics of what they need to know.

Hi steamking

If it's against Pf forum rules you can email me its vinto2@aol.com thanks