How to Calculate Light Emitted from an LED Screen

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the light emitted from a LED screen and its impact on the surrounding lighting situation. The LED display is rated at 5000 nits and has a total size of 64sqm. The calculations involve converting nits to lux and considering the orientation and distance between the screen and the projected surface. The fundamental equation of radiative transfer is recommended for calculating the necessary values.
pixelpusher
Hi,

I have a question how to calculate the light emitted from a LED screen. The LED display is rated at 5000 nits. Total size of the display is 64sqm. (8m x 8m touching the floor) I would like to calculate the total light emitted, the light on the floor in front 1m away and the light on the floor 10m away. The calculations don't need to factor in every detailed aspect, I am looking for a rough value how the screen would affect the lighting situation in it's vicinity at full white.

Light on the floor should be calculated in LUX, correct? Can somebody help me out with the calculation? Much appreciated, light calculations are quite confusing at times. Thanks
pp

Physics news on Phys.org
Yikes...

"Nits" is a photometric unit of radiance, and 'lux' is a photometric unit of irradiance. So at least the conversion is straightforward. What you need to know is the L(Ω), how the radiance varies with direction. Maybe the LED is lambertian (L is constant), maybe not. Either way, it's pretty much geometry- you have an emitting plane and a receiving plane oriented at some angle to the emitter, so use the 'fundamental equation of radiative transfer' to calculate whatever you need:

https://books.google.com/books?id=i...tion of radiative transfer radiometry&f=false

Thanks for your answer Andy. So if the screen and the projected surface would be parallel to each other I could ignore L(Ω)? Would 5000 nits * π = 15700 lux be sufficient as conversion? Not sure about the steradian? Why only 1*π ? What about increasing distance? Is it impossible to calculate, because the screen is a planar light source? My head hurts..

Thanks

pixelpusher said:
Thanks for your answer Andy. So if the screen and the projected surface would be parallel to each other I could ignore L(Ω)? Would 5000 nits * π = 15700 lux be sufficient as conversion? Not sure about the steradian? Why only 1*π ? What about increasing distance? Is it impossible to calculate, because the screen is a planar light source? My head hurts..

Yeah, radiometry/photometry can be like that. Just remember that it's all about the transfer of energy. You are right to start with the surfaces facing each other, that simplifies things considerably. Begin by working through eqns 3-9 to 3-4 in the reference I provided above. Then section 3-3 can guide you through your problem, eqn 3-20 is particularly relevant, as are eqns 3-24 through 3-28.

Wolfe's book is excellent and worth having around for reference.

Related to How to Calculate Light Emitted from an LED Screen

1. How is the lux value calculated for an LED screen?

The lux value for an LED screen is typically calculated by multiplying the screen's luminance, measured in candela per square meter (cd/m²), by the screen's distance from the viewer squared, and then divided by the cosine of the angle between the screen and the viewer.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the lux value for an LED screen?

The lux value helps determine the brightness and clarity of the LED screen, which is important for creating a visually appealing and comfortable viewing experience.

3. How does the size of an LED screen affect the lux calculation?

The size of the LED screen does not directly affect the lux calculation, but it can indirectly impact the result if the screen is not evenly lit. In this case, different areas of the screen may have varying levels of brightness, resulting in a non-uniform lux value across the screen.

4. Are there any standard guidelines for the recommended lux value for LED screens?

Yes, there are general guidelines for the recommended lux values for different types of environments and applications. For example, a lux value of 300-500 is recommended for general office work, while a lux value of 1500-2000 is recommended for surgical procedures in a hospital setting.

5. Can the lux value be adjusted for an LED screen?

Yes, the lux value can be adjusted by changing the luminance of the screen or by adjusting the distance between the screen and the viewer. However, it is important to keep in mind that changing the lux value may also affect the overall image quality and energy consumption of the screen.