How to calculate mechanic power a person outputs?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a singer exhales 0.1 Litres of air per second with an overpressure of 1257 Pa. The sound pressure level is measured at 70 dB at a distance of 1 meter from the singer's mouth assuming a point source. The conversation then asks to calculate the mechanical output power, acoustic output power, and acoustic efficiency. The last two parts are calculated using the equation L_p = L_w - 11dB and the values provided. The conversation ends with a discussion on how to calculate the mechanical power in airflow.
APUGYael
Hey all,

I am doing some work to brush up my acoustics and one of the problems I came across this goes like this (translated, so sorry for potential grammar mistakes although I'll do my best to avoid them):

A singer exhales 0.1 Litre Air per second. The 'overpressure' (pressure difference, so not absolute pressure) of his lungs is 1257 Pa. On 1 meter from his mouth the soundpressurelevel is 70 dB. We assume a point source (so Q=1).
- Caculate the mechanical output power of the person.
- Calculate the acoustic output power of the person.
- Calculate the acoustic effeciency.

So, I know how to do the last 2 parts:

L_p = L_w - 10*log(Q/(4*pi*r^2)) is the equation I'll use for this problem.

r = 1, Q = 1, so: L_p = L_w - 11dB
Which means
L_w = 70 dB + 11 dB = 81 dB
L_w = 10*log(W/W_0) --> W = (10^-12)*(10^8.1) = 0.1259 mWatt
This is the acoustic ouput power. The answer sheet says this is correct.
The effeciency would simply be: (acoustic power/mechanic power)*100%.

But this is where I am stuck. How do I calculate the mechanic power with the given values?
Thanks for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechanical power in airflow is just pressure times volumetric flow rate.

Bearing in mind that our strongest (leg) muscles can only manage a few hundred W mean, you can expect much much less than that from your intercostal muscles. Ball park figures can be good when trying to make estimates of this sort of thing. Then consider that an efficient loudspeaker can be deafening with a couple of W.

russ_watters said:
Mechanical power in airflow is just pressure times volumetric flow rate.
This is the one I needed to get the right answer it seems!

Likes russ_watters

1. How do you calculate mechanic power a person outputs?

The formula for calculating mechanic power output is power = force x distance / time. This means that you need to measure the force exerted by the person, the distance over which the force is exerted, and the time it takes to exert the force. Then, you can plug these values into the formula to calculate the person's mechanic power output.

2. What units are used to measure mechanic power?

Mechanic power can be measured in watts (W) or horsepower (hp). Watts are the standard unit of power in the International System of Units (SI), while horsepower is a commonly used unit in the United States.

3. How does a person's body weight affect their mechanic power output?

A person's body weight can affect their mechanic power output in different ways. Generally, a heavier person will have a higher mechanic power output because they can exert more force. However, a person's body composition, muscle strength, and overall fitness level also play a role in their mechanic power output.

4. Can a person increase their mechanic power output?

Yes, a person can increase their mechanic power output through regular physical training and exercise. By building muscle strength and endurance, a person can improve their ability to exert force and sustain it over a longer period of time, resulting in a higher mechanic power output.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating a person's mechanic power output?

There are some limitations to calculating a person's mechanic power output. The formula for calculating power assumes that the force is applied in a straight line and at a constant rate. However, in real-life situations, the force may not be exerted in a straight line or may vary in intensity, which can affect the accuracy of the calculation. Additionally, other factors such as friction and air resistance may also impact a person's mechanic power output.