How to Calculate Moment of a Couple Using Cross Products?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving finding the moment of a couple and eliminating incorrect answer choices. It also includes a question about another problem and a request for clarification. The conversation then returns to the original problem and provides guidance on how to solve it.
lc99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-4-28_23-22-51.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused. It looks like the couple forces are at a angle pointing to the x axis.
So i did moment about a axis of that angle.

I found this angle/axis unit vector to be (-0.6i -0.8j)
Then i found the moment couple about the x and y-axis and the magnitude is 3663.

Multiplied it by the unit vector and found its magnitude as 3663. However the answer is not in the choice!

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-28_23-22-51.png
    upload_2018-4-28_23-22-51.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 849
Physics news on Phys.org
We know the couple/moment/torque is r x F and the direction is ccw from the sketch thus you can eliminate e) and f). So you just need to find the x and y components of each r and F, take the cross products and sum them.

Likes lc99
Dr Dr news said:
We know the couple/moment/torque is r x F and the direction is ccw from the sketch thus you can eliminate e) and f). So you just need to find the x and y components of each r and F, take the cross products and sum them.
Quick question. I am working on another problem and it is killing me...

upload_2018-4-29_0-5-7.png

I keep getting 5/2 and the answer should be e. 5/4m/

I found that Fr = -4F1
and Moment about the left point is -10F1

so M = F*d --> d = 5/2 or x=5/2
but it is not right??

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-29_0-5-7.png
    upload_2018-4-29_0-5-7.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 333
lc99 said:
So i did moment about a axis of that angle.
I do not know what that means. Please explain.
lc99 said:
Then i found the moment couple about the x and y-axis and the magnitude is 3663.
Can't tell where you went wrong without seeing the details.
Further Dr Dr news' post, you can choose what point you take along the line of action of each force as the point of application. You can do this in such a way that only one of the two components has a moment about the axis.
lc99 said:
Im working on another problem and it is killing me...
Please post a new thread - as per forum style.

Back to the original problem. Find r(A) = - 8 i + 8 j and F(A) = - 72 i + 96 j. Then do the same for r(B) and F(B). Take the cross products r x F for each of A and B and sum them.

Likes lc99

1. What is moment couple calculation?

Moment couple calculation is a method used in engineering and physics to determine the rotational force exerted on an object. It takes into account the magnitude, direction, and distance between two equal and opposite forces acting on an object.

2. How is moment couple calculation used in real life?

Moment couple calculation is used in many real-life scenarios, such as calculating the torque on a car's wheels, determining the stability of a building's foundation, and designing a bridge that can withstand strong winds.

3. What is the formula for moment couple calculation?

The formula for moment couple calculation is M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the magnitude of the force, and d is the distance between the two forces. The unit of measurement for moment is newton-meters (Nm).

4. How does the direction of the forces affect the moment couple calculation?

The direction of the forces is an important factor in moment couple calculation. If the forces are parallel, they will create a translational motion and no rotation. If the forces are not parallel, they will create a rotational motion, with the direction of the moment being perpendicular to the plane formed by the two forces.

5. Can moment couple calculation be used for non-uniform objects?

Yes, moment couple calculation can be used for non-uniform objects as long as the forces are applied at the same distance from the center of mass. In this case, the moment calculation will consider the center of mass as the point of rotation.