How to Calculate Spring Constant from Force vs. Distance Data in Excel

In summary, the conversation is about a physics homework assignment where a spring with a force sensor attached is pulled at increasing distances and the data is plotted on Excel. The student is asked to predict the spring constant and create a graph to determine the exponent. They are also asked if the spring is a normal spring and what the graph of the raw data should look like for a normal spring. The student is struggling with the assignment and is seeking help.
microdoodle

Homework Statement

A spring has a force sensor attached to it and is pulled at increasing distances from rest. A reading is recorded on the force sensor and the data is plotted below.
Plot data on Excel
x (m) Force (n)
.005 1.9
.010 2.5
.020 3.4
.030 4.2
.040 5.3
.050 5.6
.060 5.8
.070 6.6
.080 7.1
.090 7.5

(Basically he made us plot these numbers in excel then predict k and stuff then we did =ln( and found the natural log on excel i believe to make a straight line??)

a. Based on the graph of the raw data predict a relative k (less than 1 , about 1 , greater than 1) and explain your prediction

I put since that line is above the coordinate 1,1 K is greater than 1

b. Predict an exponential and provide a justification for your prediction.

I put the exponential seems to be lower than 1 because the line has a small decline in the middle.

c. Create a second graph to determine your exponent and calculate a spring constant.
I'm guessing this is the natural log graph but what is spring constant? by using y = mx +b i found for y=k (x to the nth power) to be n = .4838 and k= 23.686

d. Create another graph of y vs. x to the nth power now that you know your n value and verify your k. Place this graph on paper.

Now I am totally lost maybe you can help me out here. Remember this is my 3rd DAY in Hon Physics. Feel my pain!e. If a normal spring requires a force to extend the spring that is directly proportional to the distance extended, is this a normal spring? In other words, if it was a normal spring what should we have seen when we plotted a graph of the raw data?

I am totally lost here too

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

microdoodle said:
d. Create another graph of y vs. x to the nth power now that you know your n value and verify your k. Place this graph on paper.

Now I am totally lost maybe you can help me out here. Remember this is my 3rd DAY in Hon Physics. Feel my pain!

e. If a normal spring requires a force to extend the spring that is directly proportional to the distance extended, is this a normal spring? In other words, if it was a normal spring what should we have seen when we plotted a graph of the raw data?

I am totally lost here too

Welcome to PF.

They are asking you to make a graph whose x dimension is in units of (x)n.
You should expect that if you plotted y = k*(x)n with your calculated n, you will get a straight line that is slope 23 from your data?

As to part e wouldn't what they are asking really be if you plotted it on a regular (x)1 axis that the locus of data points would be a straight line?

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

They are asking you to make a graph whose x dimension is in units of (x)n.
You should expect that if you plotted y = k*(x)n with your calculated n, you will get a straight line that is slope 23 from your data?

As to part e wouldn't what they are asking really be if you plotted it on a regular (x)1 axis that the locus of data points would be a straight line?

Yeah for part e. he was asking if it was a straight line or not and the slope was 23. Thank You for your help

Related to How to Calculate Spring Constant from Force vs. Distance Data in Excel

What is a spring force sensor and how does it work?

A spring force sensor is a device that measures the amount of force applied to it by an object. It works by utilizing a spring, which can compress or stretch depending on the force applied. This change in length is then converted into an electrical signal that can be measured and calibrated to determine the force being applied.

What are the common uses of a spring force sensor?

Spring force sensors are commonly used in industrial applications to measure the force in various mechanical systems. They are also used in medical devices, such as force-sensitive surgical tools, and in consumer electronics, such as gaming controllers.

How accurate are spring force sensors?

The accuracy of a spring force sensor depends on various factors, such as the quality of the spring, the calibration process, and the precision of the measuring equipment. However, most spring force sensors have a high level of accuracy and can measure forces within a small range with great precision.

Can a spring force sensor measure both compression and tension forces?

Yes, a spring force sensor can measure both compression and tension forces. The spring inside the sensor is designed to respond to both types of forces, and the electrical signal produced can indicate whether the force is compressive or tensile.

How can I choose the right spring force sensor for my application?

The right spring force sensor for your application will depend on various factors, such as the range of forces you need to measure, the required accuracy, and the environmental conditions. It is recommended to consult with a supplier or expert in the field to determine the most suitable sensor for your specific needs.