How to calculate the electrical field of planets?

In summary, Enchantinggust is asking for help calculating the electric field between Mars and the Earth, but cannot seem to justify that either charge is non-zero. He suggests that Coulomb's law might be similar to Kepler's gravitational law, in which case the electric fields between the two planets would be due to two separate charges. However, until this is established, there is no reason to invoke Coulomb's Law.
enchantinggust
All,

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this but I believe it is the closest to the question I would like an answer to.

I would like to calculate the electrical force between Mars and the Earth. I believe I understand that in order to do this, I must apply Coulomb's law:

E= Q*q/(4*pi*e0*r^2)

where Q equals the point charge of the Earth, q equals the point charge of Mars, e0 equals the permittivity of vacuum constant, and r^2 equals the distance between the two.

Assuming I know the distance between the Earth and Mars, how would I go about calculating the point charges of the Earth and Mars? Just thinking about it makes my head hurt!

I figured I'd swallow my pride and ask people who know a whole lot more than I do. I believe I have the right equation as well.

Please help!

Thank you,

Enchantinggust

Physics news on Phys.org
enchantinggust said:
All,

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this but I believe it is the closest to the question I would like an answer to.

I would like to calculate the electrical force between Mars and the Earth. I believe I understand that in order to do this, I must apply Coulomb's law:

E= Q*q/(4*pi*e0*r^2)

where Q equals the point charge of the Earth, q equals the point charge of Mars, e0 equals the permittivity of vacuum constant, and r^2 equals the distance between the two.

Assuming I know the distance between the Earth and Mars, how would I go about calculating the point charges of the Earth and Mars? Just thinking about it makes my head hurt!

I figured I'd swallow my pride and ask people who know a whole lot more than I do. I believe I have the right equation as well.

Please help!

Thank you,

Enchantinggust

Go back a bit. How do you know that both the Earth and Mars have net charges? In other words, how do you know that Q and q are not roughly zero?

This is the crucial assumption and your starting point. If you cannot justify that these values are non-zero, then everything else is moot.

Zz.

Focus on what @ZapperZ said, "net charge" , which is not the same as charge. The Q in your formula is net charge, the part left over after all plus and minus charges cancel each other.

Wouldn't Coulomb's law be similar to Kepler's gravitational law (Fg = m1*m2/r^2)? In that case, I would have 2 separate charges from different planets. I could assume that since the Earth's magnetosphere deflects solar radiation and has a north and south pole, the overall charge of the Earth electrical field could be positive or negative. Am I correct in assuming this?

Or was it how I typed it that was confusing?

enchantinggust said:
Wouldn't Coulomb's law be similar to Kepler's gravitational law (Fg = m1*m2/r^2)? In that case, I would have 2 separate charges from different planets. I could assume that since the Earth's magnetosphere deflects solar radiation and has a north and south pole, the overall charge of the Earth electrical field could be positive or negative. Am I correct in assuming this?

You are still not getting it. "magnetosphere" means that it has a magnetic field. We know this because our compasses work! But what does this have anything to do with Earth and Mars each having a net charge?

Again, you need to establish clearly the validity of your starting point, and in this case, that the Earth and Mars have a substantial charge. Till you can do this, there's no reason to invoke Coulomb's Law.

Zz.

enchantinggust said:
how would I go about calculating the point charges of the Earth and Mars?
You don't calculate it; it's something that has to be observed/measured so that you have some input data to put into your Coulomb's law calculation.

Here's an analogous situation. Someone asks you to calculate the water pressure at the deepest point in the ocean. You know the physical laws that govern water pressure have a formula that tells you how to calculate the pressure at a given depth. However, you won't be able to use it until you know the depth of the deepest point in the ocean and for that you need to ask an oceanographer who has observed and measured the ocean depths.

So for this problem, your first step is to find out what is already known about the charges of the Earth and Mars. (And if either charge happens to be zero, the calculation is going to be easy).

Ok, so someone would have had to have literally measured one of them before I could calculate the electric fields (makes more sense now). I didn't know if there was another formula that was used to calculate the point charge beforehand.

Thanks for your help,

Enchantinggust

enchantinggust said:
Ok, so someone would have had to have literally measured one of them before I could calculate the electric fields (makes more sense now). I didn't know if there was another formula that was used to calculate the point charge beforehand.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "calculate the point charge"... There are ways to do that... IF... you have the electric field or if you know the Coulomb force.

But in your case, you have to first established that the body has charged. You don't just go and calculate the point charge of something theoretically without first establishing (usually via experiment), that that body HAS a net charge. Otherwise, you're simply doing something that does not apply. It is like asking "When did you stop beating your wife?" It has several levels of assumptions that have not been established to be valid.

Zz.

Related to How to calculate the electrical field of planets?

1. How do I calculate the electrical field of a planet?

To calculate the electrical field of a planet, you will need to know the planet's mass, radius, and charge. You can use the formula E = kQ/r2, where E is the electrical field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the planet, and r is the distance from the center of the planet.

2. What is the Coulomb's constant?

The Coulomb's constant, denoted by k, is a proportionality constant that relates the strength of the electric force between two charged objects. It has a value of 8.99 x 109 Nm2/C2 in SI units.

3. How does the mass and charge of a planet affect its electrical field?

The mass and charge of a planet both play a role in determining its electrical field. The greater the mass of a planet, the stronger its gravitational pull and thus the larger its electrical field. Similarly, the greater the charge of a planet, the stronger its electrical field will be.

4. Can the electrical field of a planet change?

Yes, the electrical field of a planet can change if its mass, radius, or charge changes. For example, if a planet gains or loses mass, its electrical field will also change. Similarly, if the planet's charge changes, its electrical field will be affected.

5. Does the distance from the center of the planet affect the electrical field?

Yes, the distance from the center of the planet does affect the electrical field. The electrical field decreases as the distance from the center of the planet increases, following an inverse square relationship. This means that the further away an object is from the planet, the weaker the electrical field will be.