How to calculate the equivalent resistance using wye delta ?

In summary, the homework statement says that we need to find the equivalent resistance between A and B. I tried wye-delta but my teacher says that I need not use wye-delta. How possible? I have two answer 1.43 ohms and 1.6 ohms .What is the actual equivalent resistance? Can you please solve these problems?
Julian102

Homework Statement

https://z-1-scontent-sin1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t34.0-12/12435980_942112312550457_1708451532_n.jpg?oh=b29a5e9b2ff96bbf0e11932d081eb25e&oe=568A9B79 [/B]

We need to find the equivalent resistance along A to B ie AB

Homework Equations

R=(1/R1 + 1/R2+...+1/Rn)^-1 , Y-Delta transformation , equation for parallel combination, equation for series combination.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried wye-delta but my teacher says that I need not use wye-delta .How possible? I have two answer 1.43 ohms and 1.6 ohms .What is the actual equivalent resistance? Can you please solve these problems? [/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any other way?

Well, I believe wye-delta will give you the answer since there are a lot of wyes and deltas in the circuit, but I think there is other way(simpler, maybe). Consider the two 2Ω resistors in the middle, which are parallel to AB. Replace each of them by a parallel combination of two 4Ω resistors. Now cut the circuit into two halves along the horizontal symmetry, separating the 4Ω resistors.

Likes Julian102
cnh1995 said:
Well, I believe wye-delta will give you the answer since there are a lot of wyes and deltas in the circuit, but I think there is other way(simpler, maybe). Consider the two 2Ω resistors in the middle, which are parallel to AB. Replace each of them by a parallel combination of two 4Ω resistors. Now cut the circuit into two halves along the horizontal symmetry, separating the 4Ω resistors.
Then what will be the equivalent resistance?

Lets call the side along which we cut the circuit as CD Now, the equivalent resistance( between A and B )of the lower part and equivalent resistance of the upper part(between C and D) will be in parallel, which will give you net resistance between A and B. Out of that, equivalent resistance of the lower part is very easy to find, just by series-parallel combination. But for the upper part, I think you need to use wye-delta at least once(or twice). Seems that you can't get rid of wye-delta so easily! But I think the no of wye-delta conversions is reduced this way.

In the upper part, you only need to use wye-delta once. Then the upper part becomes a balanced Wheatstone's bridge and RCDwill be easy to calculate.

Likes Julian102
cnh1995 said:
rating the 4Ω resis
cnh1995 said:
In the upper part, you only need to use wye-delta once. Then the upper part becomes a balanced Wheatstone's bridge and RCDwill be easy to calculate.
Can you calculate the equivalent resistance please .I am getting 1.43 ohms and 1.6 ohms as the answer in different cases. Can you tell me the answer, please :3

Well I'm afraid telling the final answer is not allowed here and if I did so, it will be removed immediately and I'll be warned:wink:! It will be helpful if you drew and posted the diagrams here. What answer have they provided? I just want to verify if my approach is right. Otherwise, it will waste your precious time.

Nope, this approach is not right. We are calculating the resistance between A and B. So, lower part resistance will be between A and B but upper resistance will be between C and D. They are not in parallel. I ran a quick simulation on my phone and verified it. That was a silly mistake! But I think there should be some other method since the configuration is symmetric. I'll try to work it out!

Last edited:
Likes Julian102
Well, the shortest way I got is delta-wye conversion itself. One on upper side and one on the lower side(viewed from AB).

cnh1995 said:
Well I'm afraid telling the final answer is not allowed here and if I did so, it will be removed immediately and I'll be warned:wink:! It will be helpful if you drew and posted the diagrams here. What answer have they provided? I just want to verify if my approach is right. Otherwise, it will waste your precious time.
cnh1995 said:
Well, the shortest way I got is delta-wye conversion itself. One on upper side and one on the lower side(viewed from AB).
The shortest way is circuit symmetry which provides Equivalent Resistance= 11R/20 here R=2. hence equivalent R=1.1 ohm. This was so simple.

Likes cnh1995
Julian102 said:
The shortest way is circuit symmetry which provides Equivalent Resistance= 11R/20 here R=2. hence equivalent R=1.1 ohm. This was so simple.
But the critical part may be how you will find the final equation.But it is easy too.

Julian102 said:
Yes. That's what I got using delta-wye transform. Good job!

Likes Julian102

Related to How to calculate the equivalent resistance using wye delta ?

1. How do I identify the resistors in a wye delta circuit?

In a wye delta circuit, the resistors are arranged in either a wye (Y) or delta (Δ) configuration. In a wye configuration, three resistors are connected in a triangle shape, with one end of each resistor connected to a common node. In a delta configuration, three resistors are connected in a triangle shape, with each resistor connected to two other resistors at the endpoints.

2. What is the formula for calculating the equivalent resistance in a wye delta circuit?

The formula for calculating the equivalent resistance in a wye delta circuit is: 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3, where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, and R3 are the individual resistances in the circuit.

3. How do I calculate the equivalent resistance if one or more resistors are in parallel?

If one or more resistors are in parallel, you can use the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in parallel.

4. What is the difference between a wye and delta configuration in terms of equivalent resistance?

In a wye configuration, the equivalent resistance is always higher than the individual resistances, while in a delta configuration, the equivalent resistance is always lower than the individual resistances. This is due to the different ways in which the resistors are connected in the circuits.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate equivalent resistance in a wye delta circuit with more than three resistors?

Yes, the formula for calculating equivalent resistance in a wye delta circuit can be used for any number of resistors. Simply add 1/Rn for each additional resistor, where Rn is the resistance of the nth resistor in the circuit.