How to Calculate the Force Required to Lift an Arm

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the amount of force required to lift an arm based on weight, distances and angles. The speaker is seeking help and suggestions on how to approach the problem, and is advised to make a free body diagram and use it to calculate the sum of moments about the pivot. They are also advised to refer to an introductory textbook on mechanics for further information.
kgp43
Hi,

Hope one of you might be able to help me with some calculations :)
I'm trying to calculate the amount of force required to lift an arm, based on weight, distances and angles.

I made a sketch to illustrate my problem.

beregningsmodel 1.png

where:

Lac = Length of arm
Lab = Distance from "anker-point" to mounting point for cylinder/aktuator.
Lad = Distance from "anker-point" to mounting point for cylinder/aktuator.
F1 = Force in Kg.
Da = Angle #1
Db = angle #2
Dd = Angle #3

Is there a formula to calculate the force required to lift the arm? Not sure where to look.Thanks,

Kenneth

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello kgp, :welcome: !

You can write balances for the forces and for the torques. Both should be zero (otherwise the lot will start to accelerate or to rotate). Be sure to include ALL the forces and torques.

You will also want to make some sensible approximations in order to get started: you have drawn the cylinder in great detail, but the arm is a single line. Is it massless ?

##F_1## is unclear to me. What does it represent ?

kgp43 said:
Not sure where to look
Seems to me an introductory textbook on mechanics should be helpful. Look under torque, lever and such things.

The first step is to make a free body diagram (search the term) from your sketch. The second step is to use the free body diagram to calculate the sum of moments about the pivot. Search that term also, but only AFTER you have a complete and correct free body diagram.

1. What is the force required to lift an arm?

The force required to lift an arm varies depending on factors such as the weight of the arm, the strength of the muscles involved, and the angle at which the arm is being lifted. On average, the force required to lift an arm is around 10% of the person's body weight.

2. How does the force required to lift an arm change with age?

As we age, our muscles tend to weaken and lose mass, which can affect the force required to lift an arm. This is why it may feel more difficult to lift an arm as we get older.

3. Can the force required to lift an arm be affected by injuries or medical conditions?

Yes, injuries or medical conditions that affect the muscles, tendons, or bones in the arm can impact the force required to lift it. For example, a broken bone or torn muscle may make it more difficult to lift the arm.

4. How does the force required to lift an arm compare to the force required to lift other body parts?

The force required to lift an arm is generally less than the force required to lift other body parts such as the legs or the torso. This is because the arms are typically lighter and have more muscle mass compared to other body parts.

5. Can the force required to lift an arm be improved through exercise?

Yes, regular exercise that targets the muscles in the arms can increase strength and make it easier to lift the arms. This can also help to prevent age-related muscle loss and maintain the force required to lift an arm as we get older.