How to calculate the four-momentum of a photon in FRW Metric

In summary: Just so I’m clear, ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot x_i}## means the partial of the lagrangian with respect to each coordinate right? So the four momentum has components in coordinates {t, r, ##\theta##, ##\phi##}, so those components are found by finding ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot t}##, ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot r}## and so on, correct?Yes, that's correct.
JohnH123
Homework Statement
Find the 4-momentum of a photon moving in the x-direction. That is, find dt/dλ
and dx/dλ as functions of a. Note that dt/dλ at a = 1 is the present-day frequency f0.
Relevant Equations
The spatially flat Robertson-Walker Metric: ds^2 = -dt^2 + a^2(t)[dr^2+r^2(dtheta^2 + sin^2(theta)dphi^2)]
I have calculated the Christoffel symbols for the above given metric, but I don't understand how to calculate a photon's four-momentum using this information. I believe it has something to do with the null geodesic equation but I can't understand how to put that information into the problem. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem can be done using geodesic equation of motion. But there is a simpler way to do using Lagrangian mechanics. The Lagrangian of the given metric is:
##L= g_{ij}\frac{dx^i}{d\lambda}\frac{dx^j}{d\lambda}= -\dot t^2+ a^2(t)(\dot r^2+ r^2 \dot \theta^2+ r^2 \sin^2\theta \dot \phi^2) ##

Now, the momentum is :
##p_i=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot x_i}##
Now, simplify it for example using the fact that metric is isotropic to evaluate ##r_{th}## component of momentum. For ##t## component, you will get same result as geodesic equation. Solve it (again using the fact that metric is isotropic to remove ##\theta## and ##\phi## components from metric).

Abhishek11235 said:
This problem can be done using geodesic equation of motion. But there is a simpler way to do using Lagrangian mechanics. The Lagrangian of the given metric is:
##L= g_{ij}\frac{dx^i}{d\lambda}\frac{dx^j}{d\lambda}= -\dot t^2+ a^2(t)(\dot r^2+ r^2 \dot \theta^2+ r^2 \sin^2\theta \dot \phi^2) ##

Now, the momentum is :
Now, simplify it for example using the fact that metric is isotropic to evaluate ##r_{th}## component of momentum. For ##t## component, you will get same result as geodesic equation. Solve it (again using the fact that metric is isotropic to remove ##\theta## and ##\phi## components from metric).
Just so I’m clear, ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot x_i}## means the partial of the lagrangian with respect to each coordinate right? So the four momentum has components in coordinates {t, r, ##\theta##, ##\phi##}, so those components are found by finding ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot t}##, ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot r}## and so on, correct?

Abhishek11235 said:

Now, the momentum is :
Also, could you please expand on how I could calculate the four-momentum using the geodesic equation? I believe that’s the method my professor would like me to use, as stated in the problem. Thank you.

1. How do you calculate the four-momentum of a photon in FRW Metric?

To calculate the four-momentum of a photon in FRW Metric, you will need to use the energy-momentum relation for a photon, which is E=pc, where E is the energy, p is the magnitude of the momentum, and c is the speed of light. You will also need to use the FRW Metric equation, which is ds^2=-c^2dt^2+a(t)^2(dx^2+dy^2+dz^2), where ds is the infinitesimal distance, dt is the infinitesimal time, and a(t) is the scale factor of the universe. By substituting E=pc into the FRW Metric equation and solving for p, you can calculate the four-momentum of a photon in FRW Metric.

2. What is the significance of calculating the four-momentum of a photon in FRW Metric?

Calculating the four-momentum of a photon in FRW Metric allows us to understand the behavior of photons in an expanding universe. It can provide insights into the evolution of the universe and help us understand the effects of cosmic expansion on light particles. This calculation is also important in cosmology and astrophysics, as it can be used to study the properties of the early universe.

3. What are the assumptions made when calculating the four-momentum of a photon in FRW Metric?

When calculating the four-momentum of a photon in FRW Metric, we assume that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic on large scales, meaning that the properties of the universe are the same in all directions and at all points in time. We also assume that the photon is traveling in a straight line and that its energy and momentum are conserved.

4. Can the four-momentum of a photon in FRW Metric change over time?

Yes, the four-momentum of a photon in FRW Metric can change over time due to the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, the scale factor a(t) increases, which affects the distance and time components in the FRW Metric equation. This, in turn, can cause changes in the photon's energy and momentum, resulting in a change in its four-momentum.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the four-momentum of a photon in FRW Metric?

One limitation of calculating the four-momentum of a photon in FRW Metric is that it assumes a classical description of light. In reality, photons have quantum properties, and a more accurate calculation would require using quantum field theory. Additionally, the FRW Metric only applies to a flat, expanding universe, so it may not be applicable in other cosmological models.