How to calculate the kinematics of an object pushed up an inclinex plane?

In summary, Joe puts on his skis and heads for the slopes. A fresh layer of new snow has fallen, making the coefficient of kinetic friction between his skies and the snow only μk=0.037. He heads for the Starlight Run, which features a long slope at a constant angle of θ=17.8 degrees above the horizontal. The resort has a new device to bring skiers to the top of the run: instead of a chair lift or a moving rope, a large cylinder sits at the base of the hill. Skiers crouch down and slide into the cylinder, then press a button. Compressed gas shoots the skier out of the cylinder with an initial speed v=30.3
ac7597
Homework Statement
Joe puts on his skis and heads for the slopes. A fresh layer of new snow has fallen, making the coefficient of kinetic friction between his skies and the snow only μk=0.037. He heads for the Starlight Run, which features a long slope at a constant angle of θ=17.8 degrees above the horizontal.
The resort has a new device to bring skiers to the top of the run: instead of a chair lift or a moving rope, a large cylinder sits at the base of the hill. Skiers crouch down and slide into the cylinder, then press a button. Compressed gas shoots the skier out of the cylinder with an initial speed v=30.3 m/s, and they slide up the hill.

How far up along the slope will Joe slide before coming to a momentary halt?
How long will it take him to reach the peak of his motion?
After coming to a momentary halt, Joe starts to slide down the hill. How long will it take him to reach the bottom?
Relevant Equations
g=9.8 m/s^2
Homework Statement: Joe puts on his skis and heads for the slopes. A fresh layer of new snow has fallen, making the coefficient of kinetic friction between his skies and the snow only μk=0.037. He heads for the Starlight Run, which features a long slope at a constant angle of θ=17.8 degrees above the horizontal.
The resort has a new device to bring skiers to the top of the run: instead of a chair lift or a moving rope, a large cylinder sits at the base of the hill. Skiers crouch down and slide into the cylinder, then press a button. Compressed gas shoots the skier out of the cylinder with an initial speed v=30.3 m/s, and they slide up the hill.

How far up along the slope will Joe slide before coming to a momentary halt?
How long will it take him to reach the peak of his motion?
After coming to a momentary halt, Joe starts to slide down the hill. How long will it take him to reach the bottom?
Homework Equations: g=9.8 m/s^2

I made a component diagram of the forces acting on the skier. I got a horizontal force equation as m(ax) = F - u(cos17.8)mg-sin(17.8)mg, but am confused on how to proceed forward.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_8.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 201
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, to start I suggest to use the energy considering also the work done by the friction ...
Ssnow

I included frictions as Ff=u(Fn)

Hello,
I've apparently misused the initial velocity : I was supposed to use 30.3m/s instead cos(17.8)*30.3. I rework the force component, and this is my answer.
qttQG%zITUaIdzTMiclSlg.jpg
qttQG%zITUaIdzTMiclSlg.jpg

(Sure you must use the decomposition on the incline plane ...). You can start to fix the variable ##h## that is final height (what you must find...). Now at the beginning you have a kinetic energy ##K## that is transformed in potential energy ##U##. The work ##W## done by the friction is equal to the difference ##K-U##. So you have the equation ##K-U=W##...
Ssnow

Remember that the space covered by the skier along the inclinate ##x## plane is related to the maximal height ##h## by the relation ##h=x\cdot \sin{\theta}##...
Ssnow

Hello
Though the images don't look good (not good handwriting either) and I had to use software to rotate and magnify them (ok that was not hard but still) I recommend you learn to write equations with ##\text LATEX## commands. It will require for you some extra time to learn it and type your work every time you have a problem , but I am sure it will be beneficial at the end.

I found your work and equations correct though I didn't check the arithmetic.

Also i believe it would be beneficial to do it using the energy approach like @Ssnow suggests so you can cross check the results.

Thanks

1. How do I calculate the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane?

To calculate the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane, you can use the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the incline.

2. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of an object on an inclined plane?

The equation for calculating the velocity of an object on an inclined plane is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

3. How do I determine the displacement of an object on an inclined plane?

To determine the displacement of an object on an inclined plane, you can use the formula s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the displacement, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

4. Can I use the same equations for an object being pushed up and down an inclined plane?

Yes, the equations for calculating the kinematics of an object on an inclined plane can be used for an object being pushed up or down the incline. The only difference will be the sign of the angle θ and the direction of the acceleration and velocity.

5. How does the mass of the object affect its kinematics on an inclined plane?

The mass of the object does not affect its kinematics on an inclined plane. The same equations and principles can be applied regardless of the mass of the object. However, the force required to push the object up the incline may vary depending on its mass.