How to calculate the maximum stress in a rib of a complex construction

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a hand calculation of stresses in the ribs of a construction that is stiffened by a bottemplate with welded ribs. The forces and moments in the worst case direction are given (fx=6kN, fy=6kN, fz=6kN, Mx=6kNm, My=6kNm, Mz=6kNm), as well as specifications for the construction (casing diameter = 900mm, casing thickness = 5mm, botemplatethickness = 5mm, squareribs = 400*400, rib thickness = 5mm, height rib = 120mm, length of ribs form square to circular casing = 4
Ham94
TL;DR Summary
How to calculate a complex construction for the maximum stress or stress in the stiffenerconstruction? there are forces and momentums in the x,y,z, direction. They work in the most worst direction. I don't know how to handle this subject.
A Construction is stiffened by a bottemplate with welded ribs. A flange welded to the inletpipe is bolted at the botomplate. I want to simulate the current situation. Therfore I need a handcalculation of the stresses in the ribs of the constuction. The forces and moments are working in the worst case direction.
fx=6kN
fy=6kN
fz=6kN
Mx=6kNm
My=6kNm
Mz=6kNm
1614166638329.png
underside
Casingdiameter =900 mm
Casingthickness=5 mm
Botemplatethickness=5 mm
squareribs= 400*400
ribthickness=5 mm
height rib= 120 mm
length of ribs form square to circular casing= 4* 162 mm (angle from center 90=°, t=5 mm)
hole bottomplate= 250 mm
flangediamater= 350 mm

I don't know how to handle this situation. I want to calculate the maximum stresses in the ribs OR the stresses in a rib at one point.
Is there a possability to calculate without a inertia moment?
I have tried to calculatie the inertia moment of te ribs, but by second thought it is difficult because of the integrals and the positions of the ribs.
Maybe my thought is even harder than the solution.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this homework?

You need a better diagram showing how and where the loads and restraints are applied.

What is the purpose of this hand calculation if you have solution from FEA ? Do you want to verify the correctness of numerical analysis ? It might be too difficult to make sense in many cases with complex geometry and/or loading.
Can you attach a picture showing the whole model with applied boundary conditions and loads ?

1. How do I determine the maximum stress in a rib of a complex construction?

To calculate the maximum stress in a rib of a complex construction, you will need to use the formula for stress, which is force divided by area. You will also need to know the dimensions and material properties of the rib. By plugging these values into the formula, you can determine the maximum stress.

2. What factors affect the maximum stress in a rib of a complex construction?

The maximum stress in a rib of a complex construction can be affected by several factors, including the material properties of the rib, the applied load or force, the dimensions and shape of the rib, and the boundary conditions or supports of the rib.

3. How can I ensure the maximum stress in a rib of a complex construction is within safe limits?

To ensure that the maximum stress in a rib of a complex construction is within safe limits, you will need to consult relevant design codes and standards for the material and type of construction. These codes will provide guidelines and limits for stress levels that are considered safe for the given material and construction type.

4. Can computer software be used to calculate the maximum stress in a rib of a complex construction?

Yes, there are various computer software programs available that can calculate the maximum stress in a rib of a complex construction. These programs use advanced mathematical models and algorithms to analyze the complex geometry and load conditions of the rib and provide accurate stress calculations.

5. How can I reduce the maximum stress in a rib of a complex construction?

There are several ways to reduce the maximum stress in a rib of a complex construction. Some options include using a stronger material, increasing the dimensions of the rib, changing the shape of the rib to distribute the load more evenly, and providing additional supports or reinforcements. It is important to consult with a structural engineer to determine the most effective and safe solution for your specific construction.