How to calculate the photons/pulse of Laser diode?

In summary, the person is an undergrad attempting to set up a quantum key distribution experiment using weak laser pulses and is unsure how to calculate the photon number per pulse. They only have data on the average power of the laser diode and are looking for guidance on how to calculate the photon number per pulse. They are also advised to measure the pulse repetition rate and duration to convert the average power to energy per pulse and then use the energy per photon formula to calculate the photon number per pulse.
Pattarasak
Hello everyone, I'm an Undergrad and I'm trying to set the Quantum key distribution experiment by using weak laser pulses(the laser diode with attenuated filter). but I don't know how to calculate the photon number per pulse. Can anyone tell me how to calculate the photon number per pulse?. Thank you for all answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not entirely clear what you are asking. What information do you have? Do you have some way of measuring the energy/pulse (before the attenuators) directly?

I am not an expert in this field (I've done some work on single microwave photons, but that is a bit different) but presumably you could get a good estimate if you know the average power and duty cycle of your laser as well as the frequency of the generated light.

Likes Pattarasak
f95toli said:
It is not entirely clear what you are asking. What information do you have? Do you have some way of measuring the energy/pulse (before the attenuators) directly?

I am not an expert in this field (I've done some work on single microwave photons, but that is a bit different) but presumably you could get a good estimate if you know the average power and duty cycle of your laser as well as the frequency of the generated light.
Sorry about the Unclear question, I have only the data about average power of laser diode but have no idea to calculate the photon number per pulse in the experiment.
Can you guide me about some paper or book that I can learn about it?

Pattarasak said:
I have only the data about average power of laser diode
I hope that is the output power, not the power consumed ?

You should also have (or measure) a pulse repetition rate and a pulse duration, so you can convert the average power to energy per pulse.

Photons per pulse is then energy per pulse divided by energy per photon.

Energy per photon is the famous ##\ E= h \nu \ ## with ##\ \nu ## the frequency of the light.

Likes Pattarasak

1. How is the photon/pulse count of a laser diode calculated?

The photon/pulse count of a laser diode can be calculated by multiplying the energy per pulse by the number of pulses per second. This value can also be expressed as the product of the pulse repetition rate and the number of photons emitted per pulse.

2. What is the energy per pulse of a laser diode?

The energy per pulse of a laser diode can be calculated by dividing the total energy output of the laser by the number of pulses emitted per second. This value can also be determined using the laser's pulse energy and average power values.

3. How do I determine the number of pulses per second of a laser diode?

The number of pulses per second of a laser diode can be determined by dividing the laser's pulse repetition rate by the pulse duration. This value can also be calculated by dividing the total number of photons emitted per second by the number of photons emitted per pulse.

4. What factors can affect the photon/pulse count of a laser diode?

The photon/pulse count of a laser diode can be affected by several factors, including the laser's output power, pulse duration, and pulse repetition rate. Other factors such as temperature, external stimuli, and aging can also impact the photon/pulse count.

5. How can I increase the photon/pulse count of a laser diode?

The photon/pulse count of a laser diode can be increased by increasing the laser's output power, pulse repetition rate, or pulse energy. Other methods such as using a higher efficiency laser or optimizing the laser's operating conditions can also help increase the photon/pulse count.