How to calculate the Resultant force due to a Lever arm?

In summary, the conversation discussed the setup of a problem involving a rigid body with a hinge support at point B and a weight applied at point C. The questions focused on the representation of the blue line, the constraints on point B's movement, and the method for finding the torque exerted by the weight. The expert suggested creating an orthogonal coordinate system and considering all forces and moments around the pivot point to solve the problem.
JPakt
Homework Statement
Need help to find the resultant force at the Point "C" on an object, when a 230-gram force applied at Point "A" which is hinged at point "B".
Relevant Equations
F1.x1 = F2.x2
1581461413877.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The set up needs more description.
Does the blue line represent a rigid, but bent, arm, or two arms hinged independently at B?
Is B free to move around in space or constrained somehow?
Are there constraints on A's motion?

Also, you need to post an attempt, per forum rules.

Likes JPakt and gneill
Thanks for your response.

- 2 Blue Line represents a rigid body
- Point B is hinge support which allows the rotation in an anticlockwise direction and applies force in the direction highlighted at point "C" on a spring.
- Point A represents the CG of the body

Hope I answered your questions.

Please find the attachment which illustrates my attempt to solve the problem.

Attachments

• Moment arm.JPG
    Moment arm.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 138
JPakt said:
Hope I answered your questions.
Yes, thank you.
The mass is 230gm. That is a mass, not a force, which makes your equations for forces incomplete.
Other than that, your method works, but there is an easier way. You do not need to find F1 to find the torque exerted by the weight. Likewise at the other end.

Got it. Thanks for your comments.

I appreciate your inputs

You need to determine whether or not those 230 grams are mass or gram-force, in order to provide a proper value for horizontal force at point C.
I recommend creating an orthogonal coordinate system (X-Y axes) with the same orientation of the two forces in the problem.
Disregard the shape and angles of the object, just consider it a disc that pivots around point B.
Then, compute all the forces and moments around the pivot point, considering that the object is in equilibrium.

1. How do I calculate the resultant force of a lever arm?

To calculate the resultant force of a lever arm, you will need to know the length of the lever arm, the applied force, and the distance between the applied force and the pivot point. You can then use the formula F x d = R x L, where F is the applied force, d is the distance between the force and the pivot point, R is the resultant force, and L is the length of the lever arm.

2. What is the pivot point of a lever arm?

The pivot point of a lever arm is the point where the lever arm rotates or pivots. It is also known as the fulcrum and is usually represented by a dot or a symbol on diagrams.

3. How does the length of the lever arm affect the resultant force?

The length of the lever arm directly affects the resultant force. The longer the lever arm, the greater the resultant force will be. This is because a longer lever arm allows for a larger moment arm, which increases the torque and ultimately the resultant force.

4. Can the resultant force of a lever arm be negative?

Yes, the resultant force of a lever arm can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the applied force and the direction of the resultant force are opposite. In this case, the resultant force is considered to be acting in the opposite direction as the applied force, and its value will be negative.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate the resultant force for all types of lever arms?

Yes, the formula F x d = R x L can be used to calculate the resultant force for all types of lever arms. However, the direction of the resultant force may vary depending on the type of lever arm and the direction of the applied force. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the forces when using this formula.