How to calculate the time taken for the sun to cool down?

In summary, the sun would take approximately 10^9 years to cool down if nuclear energy production suddenly came to a halt.
Baggio
We're asked how long would it take for the sun to cool down if nuclear energy production suddenly came to a hault

This is the question asked in one of my lecture courses given that the radius of the sun is ~ 10^9m, mass ~ 10^30 kg, luminosity ~ 10^26, and G = 6.7x10^-11

Am i correct in assuming we just calculate the total energy of the sun using (3/2)NkT then using the luminosity calc the time?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
In that example, the only way for the sun to lose energy is to radiate it. Given the starting energy, you could approximate the frequency of the radiation at a given absolute temperature using Wien's law (qg) and from the frequency estimate the energy lost at that temperature. And then...

Oh i see,

I've learned Wien law before but in this particular course we haven't covered it yet, so i guess there must be another way of doing it.

Hmm, somewhat tricky, since your lecturer seems to be wanting you to follow a path that is quite unreal*, so you have to choose (guess?) the method she is fishing for! Perhaps it's 'just' "what is the instantaneous rate of cooling of a blackbody, of mass x, radius y, and temperature z?"

*a real Sun will undergo a very complicated set of changes if its internal fire were extinguished ... for a start, without that fire, the internal pressure which stabilised it against gravitational contraction would diminish rather quickly ... next, energy is transported from the core to the surface of stars principally by two mechanisms - radiative and convective; the balance between the two in real stars composed of varying mixtures of real matter isn't something to be solved with pencil and paper; ...

While it is impossible for fusion to cease in the core of the sun [given the amount of hydrogen and gravitational forces], I will suspend disbelief for a moment. The pauli exclusion limit would kick in and the sun still ends up as a white dwarf.

The Stefan-Boltzmann law gives the power radiated by a blackbody of temperature T:

[tex]P = \frac{dE}{dt} = \sigma A T^4[/tex]

If you knew how much thermal energy was in the Sun at a specific temperature, you could setup a differential equation to calculute the time it would take. The Sun's structure is quite complicated, and this relationship would be very difficult to find.

Perhaps you could get a reasonable approximation by just assuming a sphere of gas at uniform temperature (despite the fact that such a sphere is not in hydrostatic equilibrium), but I'm not even sure how you'd find the average temperature of the Sun!

- Warren

I know that's what was puzzeling me :-/ I didn't know what to do about the temp gradient

If you think the approach outlined by chroot is what your lecturer is looking for, then you are free to choose any 'reasonable' temperature (if you get it wrong, you may lose some points, but since the main thrust is how the Sun cools, not what it's 'average temperature' is, that shouldn't hurt too much). Clearly, the Sun's 'average temperature' is greater than that of its photosphere and less than that of its core ... how to pick something in between?

Of course, the Sun is *currently* radiating as if it were a spherical blackbody (radius x, temperature y) - well, 'sorta' - if you replaced it with a spherical blackbody of the same radius but a temperature of 10y (say), it would 'cool' an awful lot more quickly than it is now! :-p :rolleyes:

Related to How to calculate the time taken for the sun to cool down?

1. How do we determine the initial temperature of the sun?

The initial temperature of the sun can be determined by using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which relates the temperature of a blackbody (such as the sun) to its luminosity and radius. By measuring the sun's luminosity and radius, we can calculate its initial temperature.

2. What factors affect the cooling rate of the sun?

The cooling rate of the sun is primarily affected by its mass, composition, and the amount of energy it radiates. A larger mass or a higher proportion of heavier elements can slow down the cooling process, while a higher rate of energy output can speed it up.

3. How do we calculate the rate of energy output from the sun?

The rate of energy output from the sun, or its luminosity, can be calculated using the Stefan-Boltzmann law and the sun's surface temperature. By measuring the sun's surface temperature and using the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, we can determine its luminosity.

4. Is the sun's cooling rate constant?

No, the sun's cooling rate is not constant. It is believed that the sun's cooling rate was much higher in its early stages and has gradually decreased over time. However, it is difficult to accurately predict the exact rate of cooling due to the complex nature of the sun's internal processes.

5. How long will it take for the sun to cool down completely?

The sun is expected to continue burning for another 5 billion years before it enters its red giant phase and eventually cools down. However, it is difficult to predict the exact time frame for the sun's cooling as it depends on various factors and is constantly changing.