How to Calculate This Horsepower from a flywheel?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate horsepower from the given information about a flywheel's weight, diameter, and speed. It is mentioned that the answer depends on the duration of power needed and that a flywheel is used to deal with shock loads. The example of old steam engines using flywheels to handle sudden obstacles is also mentioned.
ar2x7ar
I have a flywheel (150 Kg, Diameter-18", RPM)

How I Calculate Horsepower from These information.

I am working on a project

Thank you
physicsforums

Physics news on Phys.org
The thread over here looks like it discusses the problem.

Likes ar2x7ar
ar2x7ar said:
Summary: How to find horsepower...?
Information:
flywheel weight- 150 KG
Diameter - 18 inches
Flywheel speed* - 700 RPM's

How I Calculate Horsepower from These information.
The answer can only be obtained if you know how long you need the power to be available for. An unpowered flywheel has only a finite amount of stored Energy (Iω2/2 where I is moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity). If the flywheel is kept at constant velocity then the available power out is whatever the motor that drives it can produce (none taken from the flywheel).
The interesting question is, in fact, what is the Instantaneous Power, available from the flywheel to deal with a shock load. That's basically what a flywheel is used for - even in a motor car engine, where it gets the shaft running at near constant speed between fuel burns. How 'near' constant speed is needed?
In the days of steam, traction engines had a big flywheel and there was always an Instantaneous Power specified, to indicate how well the engine would deal with instances such as then a plough catches on a stone.

Ah that's interesting sophie, I wasn't really sure how flywheels worked. Thanks.

1. How do you calculate horsepower from a flywheel?

To calculate horsepower from a flywheel, you need to know the torque and rotational speed of the flywheel. You can use the formula HP = (Torque x RPM) / 5252 to calculate the horsepower.

2. What is the purpose of calculating horsepower from a flywheel?

The calculation of horsepower from a flywheel is important in determining the power output of an engine or motor. It can also be used to compare the performance of different engines or to make adjustments for optimal performance.

3. Can you calculate horsepower from a flywheel without knowing the torque?

No, you cannot calculate horsepower from a flywheel without knowing the torque. The torque is a crucial component in the calculation and without it, the horsepower cannot be accurately determined.

4. How do you measure the torque and rotational speed of a flywheel?

The torque of a flywheel can be measured using a torque wrench, which is a tool that measures the amount of force applied to a lever. The rotational speed can be measured using a tachometer, which measures the number of revolutions per minute (RPM) of the flywheel.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the accuracy of the horsepower calculation from a flywheel?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the accuracy of the horsepower calculation from a flywheel. These include friction, air resistance, and other external forces that may affect the rotation of the flywheel. It is important to take these factors into consideration for a more precise calculation.