How to calculate twist rate for a cycloid on a cylinder

In summary, Shane is trying to design a barrel for competition use that will be less aggressive on the bullet. He is unsure of how to calculate the parameters for the cycloid groove. He is looking for help from the community.
Rdyno
Hi all this is my first post.

Okay I can have a rifle cut into a barrel at any twist rate I want, so I want to see if a cycloid can work for what I want. Now most twist rates are static so as an example one barrel may be 1 turn in 12 inches for 26 inches an example of what is called a gain twist or as I refer to it as a progressive twist rate the barrel might start or breech at 1 turn in 20 inches and finish at 1 turn in 8 inches at the the end or muzzle. Now I was trying tho think how would I calculate a cycloid along say a 30 inch barrel? So If I want one the barrel maker will want the parameters to input into the CNC lathe I just don't know how to calculate such a parameter.

Also the barrel will be 7.62mm by 762mm long so 30 inch by .30 inch.

I would be grateful for any assistance. The barrel design is for competition use I'm trying to see if a cycloid will be too aggressive on the bullet.

Thanks.
Shane.

Edit I think I put this in the wrong section sorry.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a helix not a cycloid .

Think of your rifling groove as being the same as one start of a multi start screw thread but with a very long pitch relative to diameter and only one or a small number of turns .

Cutting such a coarse pitch groove in a small bore and over a long length may not be possible on a standard CNC lathe even with special tooling .

Generally this type of groove is cut by broaching . There are CNC broaching machines which could do this task quite easily .

Modern CAM suites can generate the tool paths to cut a variable pitch groove on a suitable machine from just a few basic dimensions - there is no need to input any complex formulae .

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying. What I was wanting to know say if you lay a progressive twist rate flat on a 2d surface it's going to make a curve. what I want to know is if you have a cycloid lying flat on a 2d surface how do you twist it into a helix and then get the start twis rate of the cylinder and the finish twist rate?

1. How do I calculate the radius of a cycloid on a cylinder?

The radius of a cycloid on a cylinder can be calculated by dividing the circumference of the cylinder by the number of rotations it takes for the cycloid to complete one full revolution. This can also be expressed as the radius of the cylinder divided by the number of teeth on the cycloid.

2. What is the formula for calculating the twist rate of a cycloid on a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the twist rate of a cycloid on a cylinder is the number of teeth on the cycloid divided by the circumference of the cylinder. This will give you the number of rotations it takes for the cycloid to complete one full revolution.

3. How does the radius of the cylinder affect the twist rate of a cycloid?

The radius of the cylinder has a direct impact on the twist rate of a cycloid. A larger cylinder will result in a smaller twist rate, meaning it will take more rotations for the cycloid to complete one full revolution. On the other hand, a smaller cylinder will have a larger twist rate, meaning it will take less rotations for the cycloid to complete one full revolution.

4. Can the twist rate of a cycloid on a cylinder be changed?

Yes, the twist rate of a cycloid on a cylinder can be changed by altering the radius of the cylinder or the number of teeth on the cycloid. By increasing or decreasing either of these factors, the twist rate of the cycloid will also change.

5. Is the twist rate of a cycloid on a cylinder constant?

No, the twist rate of a cycloid on a cylinder is not constant. It will vary depending on the radius of the cylinder and the number of teeth on the cycloid. It can also be changed by altering the speed at which the cylinder is rotating.