How to Calculate Water Velocity and Pressure in a Building's Plumbing System?

• Thread starter Keithkent09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluid
In summary, the problem involves a main pipe with a diameter of 4.00 cm and a faucet tap with a diameter of 2.00 cm located 2.10 m above the main pipe. The faucet is observed to fill a 28.0 L container in 30.0 s. The first part of the problem asks for the speed at which the water leaves the faucet, which can be found by converting liters into meters and results in a velocity of 23.7 m/s. The second part of the problem asks for the gauge pressure in the 4.00 cm main pipe, and can be calculated using the equations for pressure and assuming the faucet is the only "leak" in the building.
Keithkent09

Homework Statement

The water supply of a building is fed through a main pipe 4.00 cm in diameter. A 2.00 cm diameter faucet tap, located 2.10 m above the main pipe, is observed to fill a 28.0 L container in 30.0 s.
(a) What is the speed at which the water leaves the faucet?

(b) What is the gauge pressure in the 4.00 cm main pipe? (Assume the faucet is the only "leak" in the building.)

Homework Equations

pressure=density*g*h
pressure=F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I really did not know where to start with this problem. I think the velocity is just supposed to be found by converting liters into meters. I think the conversion factor is about 3.18, with that I got the velocity to be about 23.7 m/s. I was not sure how to handle part b of the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two quick comments:

(1) Reduce all dimensions to the same units, say meters.

(2) You can't convert liters (a volume) into meters (a length)

I actually figured this problem out and got the correct answer thanks for your help.

What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids, which includes both liquids and gases, and their behavior when they are in motion or at rest.

What are the properties of fluids?

Some of the key properties of fluids include density, viscosity, pressure, and temperature. These properties determine how a fluid will behave under different conditions.

What is Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is often used to explain the lift force generated by an airplane wing.

What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is characterized by smooth, orderly movement of a fluid, while turbulent flow is characterized by chaotic, unpredictable movement. The transition from laminar to turbulent flow is determined by the Reynolds number, which is a dimensionless quantity based on fluid velocity, density, viscosity, and length scale.

What are some real-world applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has numerous practical applications, including the design of aircrafts, cars, and ships, as well as the development of pumps, turbines, and other machines. It is also used in weather forecasting, oil and gas exploration, and the study of blood flow in the human body.