How to change Bibliography settings to enable links

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of changing the Bibliography settings to include hyperlinks to papers. It is suggested that using a more modern style or the hyperref package may allow for automatic recognition and hyperlinking of fields such as DOIs or URLs. However, it is uncertain if the current citation code can accommodate this.
John Greger
TL;DR Summary
I can get the citation code from Inspire.net for papers. However, can I change the Bibliography settings in some way such that there are hyperlinks to the paper? I don't want to embed it manually for every reference.
I can get the citation code from Inspire.net for papers. However, can I change the Bibliography settings in some way such that there are hyperlinks to the paper? I don't want to embed it manually for every reference.

For instance. Now, I use the citation code

@article{Hawking:2000kj, author = "Hawking, S. W. and Hertog, T. and Reall, H. S.", title = "{Brane new world}", eprint = "hep-th/0003052", archivePrefix = "arXiv", reportNumber = "DAMTP-2000-25", doi = "10.1103/PhysRevD.62.043501", journal = "Phys. Rev. D", volume = "62", pages = "043501", year = "2000" }

In the end of my LaTeX document I also have

\addcontentsline{toc}{section}{References}
\bibliographystyle{unsrt}
\bibliography{article}

Maybe there is a different style that can enable hyperlinks automatically? Or maybe the citation code cannot accommodate this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your provlem is that unsrt is an elderly style which prcedes things like DOIs or URLs (and, indeed, hyperlinks).

There are more modern styles which can recognise such fields (such as unsrturl) and some which will automatically typeset anything in a "url" bibtex field as a hyperlink if you are using the hyperref package. There may or may not be styles which will create a URL from a DOI and typeset it accordinly. However I don't think unsrturl actually does either of those things. Not having tried to mess around with bst files myself I don't know how easy it would be to modify it to do that.

What are the steps to change Bibliography settings to enable links?

The steps to change Bibliography settings to enable links may vary depending on the specific software or platform you are using. However, in general, you can follow these steps:

1. Open your document or bibliography manager.
  2. Navigate to the settings or preferences section.
  3. Look for an option related to links or hyperlinks in the bibliography.
  4. Enable this option.
  5. Save your changes.

How can I enable clickable links in my bibliography?

To enable clickable links in your bibliography, you need to change the settings of your document or bibliography manager. Look for an option related to links or hyperlinks, and enable it. Then, save your changes. This will allow you to click on the links in your bibliography and be directed to the source.

Why aren't my bibliography links clickable?

If your bibliography links are not clickable, it is likely that the feature is not enabled in your document or bibliography manager settings. Check the settings and make sure that the option for links or hyperlinks in the bibliography is enabled. If it is already enabled, try saving your changes again or restarting your program.

Can I customize the appearance of my bibliography links?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your bibliography links. Depending on the software or platform you are using, you may have options to change the font, color, or style of your links. Look for formatting or style options in your settings or preferences section.

Is it possible to add links to my bibliography manually?

Yes, it is possible to add links to your bibliography manually. If your bibliography manager does not have an option to automatically include links, you can manually insert the links into your bibliography. Make sure to follow the correct formatting guidelines for links and citations in your chosen citation style.