How to clean Indian Shisha embroidery

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    clean
In summary, if the cloth is made from traditional materials and it's not an antique, it likely needs a fullers earth and tropical sunlight to clean it.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have two authentic Gujarati Indian decorative cloths that need some cleaning. One has oil residue from being located in the kitchen, the other could use a cleaning all-together.

I wonder, will I ruin the cloth or the embroidery by cleaning it?

Here you can see an example of the elaborate nature of the embroidery (not mine):
gujrati-embroidered-elephants-and-colorful-birds-HF96_l.jpg

The design of mine is similar, but then the cloth is a circle with elephants, parrots, peacocks and flowers with mirrors at the center (and more delicate/refined than the one above, which looks like a cheap fabrication). Anyone here with experience? :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would depend on if the yarns are all color safe. I'd hate to give advice not knowing.

One problem I find with washing such things is that the material tends to pucker after drying since the background material and embroidered areas don't shrink uniformly. When I used to do embroidery, I would wash and dry the material first in order to pre-shrink the material. You can try wetting and drying a small test area and see what the results are.

Yeah, the color fastness was worrying me as well.. especially since the background is white. I would only wash it in cold water by hand, but still..

Would dry-cleaning make sense?

A professional cleaner might know the best way, but take it to one you trust. I've had things ruined by cleaners.

Your cloth sounds awesome. Good luck with it.

I would ask somebody from the subcontinent, if you know any students, work colleages, etc from there. Traditional Indian (using the term loosely) clothes probably have the same types of dyes, and they will need regular cleaning!

If this is made from genuinely "traditional" materials, the answer might be something like fullers Earth to absorb the oil and grease (and any other surface dirt), and tropical sunlight to bleach the white background. No liquids required. But that's just a guess, and the sunlight where you are might not be tropical enough!

All good advice.
You haven't mentioned how old this thing is or what it might be worth. I would be inclined to approach an antiquities expert at a museum or art gallery. I can't imagine one charging for a simple opinion.

The cloths used to be part of an Indian household and were a gift to me, they sure aren't antiques. I can have a spot around the city to see if there are any Indian dry cleaners who can give advice.

1. How often should I clean my Indian Shisha embroidery?

It is recommended to clean your Indian Shisha embroidery at least once every 3-6 months, depending on how frequently it is used. If it is displayed in a high-traffic area or exposed to dust and dirt, it may need to be cleaned more frequently.

2. What materials do I need to clean Indian Shisha embroidery?

You will need a soft, clean cloth, mild detergent, lukewarm water, and a small bowl or bucket. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials as they can damage the delicate embroidery.

3. Can I machine wash my Indian Shisha embroidery?

No, it is not recommended to machine wash Indian Shisha embroidery as it can cause damage to the delicate threads and embellishments. Hand washing is the safest method for cleaning.

4. How do I remove stains from my Indian Shisha embroidery?

Gently dab the stained area with a mixture of mild detergent and lukewarm water. Avoid rubbing or scrubbing the stain as it can cause damage. Rinse the area with clean water and blot dry with a clean cloth.

5. How do I dry my Indian Shisha embroidery?

After cleaning, lay the embroidery flat on a clean towel and gently roll to remove excess water. Avoid wringing or twisting the fabric as it can distort the embroidery. Then, lay it flat to air dry in a well-ventilated area, away from direct sunlight.

Back