Basic circuit problem about BJT and buzzer

• Engineering
  • Thread starter ZoeDale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bjt Circuit
ZoeDale
New user has been reminded to always show their work on schoolwork problems.
Homework Statement
Find the time when the the buzzer first emits in the circuit below.
Relevant Equations
Noton theorem;
1701560257581.png

I don’t understand what does the v_t mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vt is the threshold voltage of the MOSFET. When the gate to source voltage (same as the capacitor voltage) is greater than Vt, the transistor will conduct current from the drain to the source. If it's less than Vt the transistor is off.

Last edited:
Likes ZoeDale and berkeman
Welcome to PF.

R1 = R2 = 20 kW ; kilowatt ?
Maybe those should be 20 k ohms = 20k

Likes ZoeDale and topsquark
For your example, that 20kW should be either 20kΩ or 20,000Ω

Ω is the uppercase Greek letter Omega, which is used to indicates Ohms; lower case Ω is ω.

It looks like whoever did the typesetting for that book got rather confused between Greek, Latin, uppercase, lowercase! :rolleyes:

Oh well, at least you learned a bit of trivia. :oldwink:

Cheers,
Tom

Likes ZoeDale and topsquark
Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

R1 = R2 = 20 kW ; kilowatt ?
Maybe those should be 20 k ohms = 20k
Yes, I guess there is a type

DaveE said:
Vt is the threshold voltage of the MOSFET. When the gate to source voltage (same as the capacitor voltage) is greater than Vt, the transistor will conduct current from the drain to the source. If it's less than Vt the transistor is off.
Got it! So until the capacitor is charged to Vt, the transistor is off, which means I just analyze the circuit in which R1 and (R2//C) are in series. Now I guess I know how to solve it. Thanks much!

Likes DaveE
ZoeDale said:
.... which means I just analyze the circuit in which R1 and (R2//C) are in series.
Another view of the problem.
( R1 // R2 ) = Rt, the Thevenin resistance at Vt.
Rt is in series with C1.

Likes ZoeDale
Baluncore said:
Rt is in series with C1.
Yes, the easy way, LOL.
It also requires that you find the equivalent (Thevenin) voltage source. 5V in this case.

Most simple transient problems can be solved with just knowing the initial state, the final state, and the time constant. But they don't really teach that most places.

Likes ZoeDale
DaveE said:
Yes, the easy way, LOL.
It also requires that you find the equivalent (Thevenin) voltage source. 5V in this case.

Most simple transient problems can be solved with just knowing the initial state, the final state, and the time constant. But they don't really teach that most places.
Oh!!! So the time constant is decided by the equal circuit of Rt in series with C? So time constant \tao = Rt* C = 10k * 100m = 1000 ???!!! I need to go back to learn how I can derive that "( R1 // R2 ) = Rt, the Thevenin resistance at Vt." Thanks, Baluncore and Dave!

ZoeDale said:
Yes, I guess there is a type
typo

DaveE said:
Yes, the easy way, LOL.

Oh!!! So the time constant is decided by the equal circuit of Rt in series with C? So time constant \tao = Rt* C = 10k * 100m = 1000 ???!!! I need to go back to learn how I can derive that "( R1 // R2 ) = Rt, the Thevenin resistance at Vt." Thanks Baluncore and Dave!
Baluncore said:
Rt is in series with C1.
hi Baluncore, I didn’t get it how to derive the equivalent circuit of (R1//R2) in series with C, can you please tell me more about it? Or if it is convenient, can you show me the equivalent circuit? Thanks much!

You'll want to search for "Thevenin's Theorem" and "Thevenin and Norton source transformation" to learn more about these analysis techniques. This is the easy way to solve simple networks, IMO.

I think some offline study is your next best step. We can't really teach this with short comments. However, it's not difficult once you are familiar with KVL/KCL analysis.

Likes Baluncore
Tangential, I must hope that is a benign 'solid-state' sounder rather than a 'trad' make-break buzzer. Latter would rapidly kill the transistor as-is. Would need sundry spike-quenching components, as if for a small brush-commutated motor. eg protective diodes, 0.1 uf capacitors, back-to-back zeners etc etc...

1. How does a BJT work in a basic circuit?

A BJT, or Bipolar Junction Transistor, is a three-terminal semiconductor device that can amplify or switch electronic signals. In a basic circuit, the BJT acts as a current amplifier by controlling the amount of current flowing between its collector and emitter terminals based on the current flowing into its base terminal.

2. What is the purpose of a buzzer in a circuit?

A buzzer is an audio signaling device that produces a buzzing or beeping sound when an electric current is passed through it. In a circuit, a buzzer is typically used to provide an audible alert or indication when a certain condition is met, such as a button press or a sensor detecting an event.

3. How do you connect a BJT and buzzer in a circuit?

To connect a BJT and buzzer in a circuit, you would typically connect the collector terminal of the BJT to one terminal of the buzzer, the emitter terminal of the BJT to the ground or negative terminal of the power supply, and the base terminal of the BJT to the control signal source. When the BJT is turned on by the control signal, current flows from the collector to the emitter, activating the buzzer.

4. What are some common issues that can arise in a BJT and buzzer circuit?

Some common issues that can arise in a BJT and buzzer circuit include incorrect wiring connections, insufficient current or voltage levels to activate the buzzer, and overheating of the BJT due to excessive current flow. It's important to double-check the circuit connections and ensure that the components are rated for the intended use.

5. How can I troubleshoot a BJT and buzzer circuit that is not working?

If a BJT and buzzer circuit is not working, you can start by checking the wiring connections to make sure they are correct and secure. Next, verify that the power supply is providing the necessary voltage and current levels for the circuit to operate. You can also test the components individually to ensure they are functioning properly. If the issue persists, you may need to replace faulty components or seek assistance from a knowledgeable individual.