How to derive linear velocity from position and angular vel.ocity

In summary, the conversation revolves around trying to derive the linear velocity vector from the position vector and the angular momentum vector. The individual has seen a formula on the internet, V = W x R, but is having difficulty deriving it themselves. However, it is mentioned that this formula only prescribes the tangential velocity and does not account for any radial component. There is some confusion about whether the question relates to an object with a circular perimeter rotating on an axis or a trajectory with arbitrary movement. It is explained that the general formula for finding the velocity of a point B in a rigid body, given a point A and its velocity, is vB = vA + ω x rBA.
Zak
Hello!

I'm trying to derive the linear velocity vector from the position vector and the angular momentum vector. I've seen on the internet that V = W x R (V,W and R are all vectors and x is the cross product) but I cannot for the life of me derive it! I've tried doing it by writing out the cross product component wise and rearranging etc but I keep getting the wrong thing.

any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zak said:
I'm trying to derive the linear velocity vector from the position vector and the angular momentum vector.
In general, you cannot. Knowing the angular momentum and the position is not sufficient to determine the velocity.

Zak said:
I've seen on the internet that V = W x R (V,W and R are all vectors and x is the cross product)
This tells us nothing unless you give actual reference to where you have seen this or at least what the vectors are supposed to represent.

Did you mean v = rω, where ω is angular velocity?

TomHart said:
Did you mean v = rω, where ω is angular velocity?
The difficulty with this is that it prescribes the tangential velocity only. Any radial component is not accounted for.

Likes Delta2
jbriggs444 said:
The difficulty with this is that it prescribes the tangential velocity only. Any radial component is not accounted for.

Isn't this question in regard to some object with a circular perimeter rotating on an axis at the center of that circle - e.g. a disk? I'm sorry, but I am missing your point. Could you please explain jbriggs444.

Or is he trying to find a velocity vector from a fixed point - say, on the road - to a point on the wheel at a certain distance from the center of the wheel - i.e. at a given radius? I guess I'm just wondering out loud at this point.

TomHart said:
Isn't this question in regard to some object with a circular perimeter rotating on an axis at the center of that circle - e.g. a disk? I'm sorry, but I am missing your point. Could you please explain jbriggs444.
I see no mention of a disc or of a circular trajectory in the original post. If the trajectory is arbitrary, the radial velocity can be non-zero.

Likes TomHart
If you have a rigid body with a point ##A## moving with velocity ##\vec v_A##, you can always express the velocity of another point ##B## in the rigid body as ##\vec v_B = \vec{v}_A + \vec \omega \times \vec r_{BA}##, where ##\vec r_{BA}## is the separation vector between ##A## and ##B##. How to arrive at this result is described in Elementary Construction of the Angular Velocity, but it requires a rigid body, which is not among the prerequisites in the OP that asks for a general formula. Obviously, if ##A## is a fixed point, then ##\vec v_A = 0## and ##\vec v_B = \vec \omega \times \vec r_{BA}##.

1. What is linear velocity?

Linear velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. It is typically expressed in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or kilometers per hour.

2. How is linear velocity related to position and angular velocity?

Linear velocity is directly related to an object's position and angular velocity. It is calculated by taking the derivative of an object's position with respect to time and multiplying it by the object's angular velocity.

3. Can linear velocity be negative?

Yes, linear velocity can be negative. A negative value indicates that an object is moving in the opposite direction of its positive velocity. For example, if an object is moving to the left with a velocity of -5 m/s, it means that it is moving 5 meters per second in the left direction.

4. How can I calculate linear velocity from position and angular velocity?

To calculate linear velocity from position and angular velocity, you can use the formula v = r * ω, where v is linear velocity, r is the distance from the object's rotation axis to its position, and ω is the object's angular velocity.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating linear velocity?

Calculating linear velocity is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and robotics. It is used in designing and analyzing the motion of vehicles, machines, and other moving objects. It is also essential in understanding concepts such as acceleration, momentum, and force.