How to derive minimum radius ratio for a given coordination number

In summary, the minimum radius ratio for a coordination number of 3 is approximately 0.255, which is slightly larger than the maximum radius ratio for a CN of 4. This means that the cation must be smaller in size for a CN of 3 compared to a CN of 4 in order to maintain the equilateral triangle geometry.
Lamboman2008

Homework Statement

Calculate the minimum radius ratio for CN = 3.

Givens: Minimum radius ratio for CN = 4 is 0.225, so that's also the max for CN = 3.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the radius ratio determines the CN, which is related to the geometry, and that for a CN of 3, the geometry is an equilateral triangle. If I understand it correctly, to find the minimum radius ratio. I've figured that to find the minimum radius ratio, rc/ra, the anion must be as large as possible, so the side of the triangle must be twice the length of the radius of the anion, or 2*ra. As such, the total area of the triangle of the compound must be 0.5*pi*ra2 and the area of the empty space in the triangle is [tex]\sqrt{}3[/tex]*ra2-0.5*pi*ra2 or ~0.16125ra2.

Now, I can't figure out how to fit a geometry to that empty space that'll only take up the space a small circle would and I can't find another way to figure out the answer.

I know the answer 0.155, but I'd like to be able to find out how.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of radius ratio and coordination number (CN). The radius ratio is the ratio of the radius of the cation (rc) to the radius of the anion (ra) in a crystal lattice. The coordination number is the number of nearest neighbors surrounding a particular atom in a crystal lattice.

For a CN of 3, the geometry is indeed an equilateral triangle with the anion at each vertex. In order to find the minimum radius ratio, we need to consider the maximum possible size of the anion and the minimum possible size of the cation within this geometry.

As mentioned in the forum post, for a CN of 4, the maximum radius ratio is 0.225. This means that the cation can have a maximum radius of 0.225 times that of the anion. For a CN of 3, the cation must fit within the empty space in the equilateral triangle, which is approximately 0.16125ra^2 (as calculated in the forum post).

To find the minimum radius ratio, we can assume that the cation is a small circle that just fits within this empty space. The area of a circle is given by A = πr^2. Therefore, the radius of this small cation can be calculated as √(0.16125ra^2/π) or approximately 0.255ra.

The minimum radius ratio is then calculated as (0.255ra)/ra = 0.255.

However, we need to keep in mind that this is just an approximation and the actual minimum radius ratio may vary depending on the specific geometry and arrangement of atoms in the crystal lattice.

Related to How to derive minimum radius ratio for a given coordination number

1. What is the minimum radius ratio for a given coordination number?

The minimum radius ratio is the smallest ratio between the radii of the cation and anion that allows for stable ionic bonding in a crystal lattice. It is used as a measure of the size difference between the two ions and is determined by the coordination number of the cation.

2. How is the minimum radius ratio calculated?

The minimum radius ratio is calculated using the following formula: minimum radius ratio = (radius of cation) / (radius of anion). The radii of cations and anions can be found in reference tables and the coordination number can be determined from the crystal structure of the compound.

3. What is the significance of the minimum radius ratio?

The minimum radius ratio is important in determining the stability and structure of ionic compounds. If the ratio is too large, the ions will not be able to pack efficiently, leading to a distorted or unstable crystal lattice. If the ratio is too small, the ions will not be able to form strong bonds, resulting in a weak or easily broken lattice.

4. Are there exceptions to the minimum radius ratio rule?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the minimum radius ratio rule. For example, in compounds with high coordination numbers, the minimum radius ratio may not accurately predict the stability of the crystal lattice. Additionally, other factors such as charge and electronegativity of the ions can also affect the stability of the compound.

5. How does the minimum radius ratio affect the properties of ionic compounds?

The minimum radius ratio affects the properties of ionic compounds in several ways. It can determine the size and shape of the crystal lattices, which in turn affects the density, melting point, and other physical properties of the compound. It can also affect the strength and stability of the bonds between ions, influencing the chemical and reactivity of the compound.