How to derive Schrodinger's equation?

In summary: Now, where did we get that [Schrödinger’s equation] from? Nowhere. It’s not possible to derive it from anything you know. It came out of the mind of Schrödinger, invented in his struggle to find an understanding of the experimental observations of the real world. You can perhaps get some clue of why it should be that way by thinking of our derivation of Eq. (16.12) which came from looking at the propagation of an electron in a crystal.”The line of thought that led to the Schrödinger equation is an example of what is called “the principle of least action”. This principle states that
Astrocyte
Homework Statement:: Derive Schrodinger equation
Relevant Equations:: Schrodinger Equation

I want to find the derivation of Schrodinger Equation.
Actually, I learned quantum mechanics already, but I think the proof that begins from the plane wave solution is quit ambiguous.
Because I feel that the derivation of physical equations from "the solution" is not a right approach.
Is there any more elegant derivation that starts from the fundamental principle like conservation of energy and constraint condition?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's not really how physics work as it is an empirical science. You can typically start from the Schrödinger equation, which (on the more general form) will give you quantum mechanics. Then you can go out and do experiments to verify the predictions of quantum mechanics.

The way you arrive at things is typically educated guesswork rather than derivations from first principles. In some sense, the Schrödinger equation can be taken as the first principle.

Now, that being said, there are other equivalent formulations of quantum mechanics that rely upon other first principles where you can start from those and derive the Schrödinger equation. However, by the nature of equivalence, you could also have done it the other way around. (Cf. Newtonian mechanics vs Lagrange mechanics.)

Likes Astrocyte
If I remember correctly one can derive the the Schrödinger equation from the path integral formalism starting from the classical Lagrangian ##L = \frac{m}{2}\dot{x}^2- V(x)##.

Likes Astrocyte
Astrocyte said:
I want to find the derivation of Schrodinger Equation.
Richard Feynman (in “Feynman lectures Vol. III”, Chapter 16) puts it in the following way:

Where did we get that [Schrödinger’s equation] from? Nowhere. It’s not possible to derive it from anything you know. It came out of the mind of Schrödinger, invented in his struggle to find an understanding of the experimental observations of the real world. You can perhaps get some clue of why it should be that way by thinking of our derivation of Eq. (16.12) which came from looking at the propagation of an electron in a crystal.

Likes malawi_glenn, vharihar, Hamiltonian and 1 other person
Orodruin said:
That's not really how physics work as it is an empirical science. You can typically start from the Schrödinger equation, which (on the more general form) will give you quantum mechanics. Then you can go out and do experiments to verify the predictions of quantum mechanics.

The way you arrive at things is typically educated guesswork rather than derivations from first principles. In some sense, the Schrödinger equation can be taken as the first principle.

Now, that being said, there are other equivalent formulations of quantum mechanics that rely upon other first principles where you can start from those and derive the Schrödinger equation. However, by the nature of equivalence, you could also have done it the other way around. (Cf. Newtonian mechanics vs Lagrange mechanics.)
Thank you for the answer.

The elements of Schrodinger equation are quit familiar one to me. The equation includes hamiltonian and energy.
So, I thought it can be derived from Lagrange mechanics(or Hamilton mechanics), which has basic principle called "principle of least action", or Lagrange multiplier (that is used to derive canonical ensemble). But I could not find it.
As you said, It maybe become the first principle of quantum mechanics like Newton's second law in classical physics. Then, the plane wave solution could be an example of the first principle like free fall motion in Newton mechanics.

I don't think it is what you are looking for, but back in the day, I liked this discussion

Schodinger_1.pngSchrodinger_2.pngSchrodinger_3.png

Feynmann_1.pngFeynmann_2.png

from Borowitz Fundamentals of Quantum Mechanics (1967)

• Informative
Likes Hamiltonian, jtbell and Astrocyte
Astrocyte said:
So, I thought it can be derived from Lagrange mechanics(or Hamilton mechanics), which has basic principle called "principle of least action", or Lagrange multiplier (that is used to derive canonical ensemble).
Richard Feynman's doctoral thesis is exactly such a derivation. Not bad for a human. I'm not sure he extracts Sschrodinger per se.

Likes Astrocyte
Before Schrodinger there was de Broglie, who had the idea that a wave of the form ##\psi(x,t) = e^{i kx - \omega t}## was associated with a particle. Then ##\hbar k## would be associated with the momentum of the particle, and ##\hbar \omega## would be associated with the energy. Assuming that the Newtonian relationship between momentum and energy held, so that ##p^2/2m = E##, this implies ##\hbar^2 k^2/2m = \hbar \omega##.

Clearly, ##\psi## would then satisfy ##- \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2 \psi}{dx^2} = i \hbar \frac{d \psi}{dt}##. (It also satisfies ##|\dfrac{(\frac{d \psi}{dx})^2}{2m}| = |\dfrac{d\psi}{dt}|##, but that's an ugly, nonlinear equation. Nature wouldn't be so cruel...)

Likes Delta2 and Astrocyte
Likes jbergman and vanhees71
There is an elegant, well-motivated derivation of the Schrodinger equation in Modern Quantum Mechanics by JJ Sakurai. It is based on the expected properties of the time evolution operator.

Likes LittleSchwinger, hutchphd, topsquark and 2 others

1. What is Schrodinger's equation?

Schrodinger's equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a physical system evolves over time. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain location at a given time.

2. How is Schrodinger's equation derived?

Schrodinger's equation is derived using mathematical principles and postulates of quantum mechanics, such as the wave-particle duality and the principle of superposition. It involves solving the time-dependent Schrodinger equation, which takes into account the changing state of the system over time.

3. What are the assumptions made in deriving Schrodinger's equation?

The derivation of Schrodinger's equation relies on several assumptions, including the wave-particle duality of matter, the principle of superposition, and the conservation of energy. It also assumes that the system is isolated and that the potential energy is time-independent.

4. What are the applications of Schrodinger's equation?

Schrodinger's equation has a wide range of applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, as well as in the design and development of technologies such as transistors and lasers.

5. Is Schrodinger's equation the only equation used in quantum mechanics?

No, Schrodinger's equation is not the only equation used in quantum mechanics. Other important equations include the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, the Pauli exclusion principle, and the Dirac equation. These equations all play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.