How to Derive the Output Equation from State-Space Models?

In summary, the conversation pertains to finding the state-space model (A,B,C,D matrix) for a linear system with input Tm(T). The states and outputs are described by equations and it is suggested to consider the states in a certain way. The output (y) equation needs to be determined, and it is supposed to be a 2x1 matrix with theta L and theta M as outputs. The process of finding the output equation involves using the state equations and input equation, and rearranging them to express the output variables in terms of the state variables and input. Once this is done, the matrices A, B, C, and D can be determined.
rAz:DD
Hello.
I have some trouble solving this exercise.

For this given linear system:

4EcV8.png

with the input Tm(T)
described by these equations

BPgPz.png

or re-written this way

DB24j.png

It's also suggested that the states should be considered this way

pHkBy.png

resulting

OM3l3.png
I have to find out the state-space model (A,B,C,D matrix).

How do i find the output (y) equation ?
y is supposed to be a 2x1 matrix, with both theta L and theta M as outputs.

I tried solving this by calculating the transfer matrix of the system, but it seems that the denominator has 4 poles, but the number of states is 3. How should the size of A be?
The thing that bugs me is that the first state (x1) is a difference between those two variables i don't know. For the other exercises, the output was usually one of the states, so i was easy finding out its equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.The output equation can be determined by using the state equations and the input equation. For example, for the first state equation with input Tm(t):x1' = [Tm(t) + theta_L - theta_M]/JThis equation can be rearranged to solve for theta_L:theta_L = x1' J + Tm(t) + theta_MFrom this equation, the output variable theta_L can be expressed in terms of the state variable x1 and the input Tm(t). The same process can be repeated for the other state equations and the other output variable theta_M. Once the output variables are expressed in terms of the state variables and the input, the matrices A, B, C, and D can be determined.

Related to How to Derive the Output Equation from State-Space Models?

1. What is system modelling exercise?

System modelling exercise is the process of creating a simplified representation of a complex system in order to better understand its behavior and make predictions about how it will respond to different inputs or changes.

2. Why is system modelling exercise important?

System modelling exercise allows scientists to study and analyze complex systems that may be too difficult or expensive to observe directly. It also helps in identifying key components and relationships within a system, which can aid in decision making and problem solving.

3. What are some common techniques used in system modelling exercise?

Some common techniques used in system modelling exercise include mathematical modeling, computer simulation, and physical modeling. These techniques can be used individually or in combination to create a more comprehensive representation of a system.

4. What are the benefits of using system modelling exercise?

System modelling exercise can provide valuable insights and predictions about how a system will behave under different conditions. This can help scientists make informed decisions and develop strategies to improve or optimize the system. It can also aid in identifying potential problems or weaknesses within the system.

5. What are some examples of real-world applications of system modelling exercise?

System modelling exercise has a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, economics, environmental science, and biology. Some examples include predicting the effects of climate change on ecosystems, simulating traffic patterns to improve transportation systems, and modeling the spread of infectious diseases to inform public health policies.