How to describe motion of the wall of a liquid container?

In summary, the wall of a tank moving perpendicular to the surface moves a distance equal to the work done on the water by the force applied. The increase in kinetic energy and potential energy of the liquid is equal to the work done.
sceptic
Hi, I wonder I cannot solve the following simple problem. I really don't know what kind of equations are relevant.

Imagine a rectangular tank, with vertical walls containing some water. The surface area is big. The wall of the tank is movable without friction, and its mass is negligible. All sides of the tank are fixed except one, and we push that movable wall perpendicular with force F. How can we describe the motion of the wall?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are raising or lowering water level in your tank. You can attack it from equilibrium with a given force. You can also attack it dynamically with waves, viscous dissipation, and all the other complications of CFD.

First you need to create some unknown variables, e.g. density of liquid, width x (normal to the wall), height y of mass centre of fluid...
Consider the wall advancing some distance -dx. What work does the force do? What is the increase in KE+PE of the liquid?

I think that energy and work is not useful in this case, since I would like to describe the motion in time. I have already tried. Maybe the horizontal momentum is more useful, however I do not know how to deal with the flow of the water, since the total negligence is not good, but the general solution is hopeless.

Bystander said:
You are raising or lowering water level in your tank. You can attack it from equilibrium with a given force. You can also attack it dynamically with waves, viscous dissipation, and all the other complications of CFD.

I would like to solve it dynamically (with some assumptions), but my liquid is not viscous!

Assume wall is moving slowly. No kinetice energy, no CFD. All that happens is that some liquid has to be moved up. Re-read Haru's advice and don't think energy considerations are for static situations only.

BvU said:
Assume wall is moving slowly. No kinetice energy, no CFD. All that happens is that some liquid has to be moved up. Re-read Haru's advice and don't think energy considerations are for static situations only.
I agree that energy does indeed solve the problem. Actually it's a bit easier than what I posted. You don't have to think about small intervals of movement - just go for the full movement from starting point to wherever.
But I disagree about ignoring KE. There's no need for that, and it seriously distorts the answer.

Related to How to describe motion of the wall of a liquid container?

1. How do you measure the motion of the wall of a liquid container?

The motion of the wall of a liquid container can be measured by observing its displacement, velocity, and acceleration. This can be done using tools such as rulers, stopwatches, and motion sensors.

2. What factors affect the motion of the wall of a liquid container?

The motion of the wall of a liquid container can be affected by factors such as the volume, viscosity, and surface tension of the liquid, as well as external forces like gravity and friction.

3. How do you describe the motion of the wall of a liquid container?

The motion of the wall of a liquid container can be described using terms such as speed, direction, and acceleration. It can also be described using mathematical equations such as Newton's laws of motion.

4. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent motion of the wall of a liquid container?

Laminar motion refers to smooth, orderly flow of the liquid, while turbulent motion refers to chaotic, irregular flow. The type of motion depends on the viscosity and velocity of the liquid, as well as the shape and size of the container.

5. How does the shape of the liquid container affect the motion of its walls?

The shape of the liquid container can affect the motion of its walls by influencing the distribution of forces on the liquid. For example, a cylindrical container may experience more uniform pressure on its walls compared to a rectangular container, resulting in different patterns of motion.