How to design surface roughness model using CST?

In summary, the conversation discusses the simulation of multilayer hybrid plasmonic waveguide and the effect of roughness on propagation length and other parameters. The individual has some doubts regarding the modeling of roughness in the structure using CST microwave studio, including the appropriate height and width of the roughness, defining a random surface, and understanding the physical meaning of rms roughness height and correlation length. They also question whether these parameters are surface dependent in their specific structure and provide two reference links for further information.
Prateeksha Sharma
I am working om multilayer hybrid plasmonic waveguide (Si-SiO2-Ag_SiO2-Si). I have to see effect of roughness on propagation length and other parameters. So in reference to that I am having some doubts:

1) I use CST microwave studio for numerical simulation. I am not getting any direct option where I could give value of roughness height and correlation length directly. Can I model it by simply creating some small spherical or square shaped roughness in structure itself. But if I create it, then it will be in pattern, not very much random. So, will it be ok to define some identical roughness.
2) What should be height and width of sphere?
3) Is there any method for defining random surface (like by giving Gaussian equation)?
4) What is the physical meaning of rms roughness height and correlation length?
5) Is it surface dependent? Like in my structure there are four interfaces. So these parameters will be same for both interface or different.

Thanks and Regards
Prateeksha

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is CST and how is it used in surface roughness modeling?

CST (Computer Simulation Technology) is a software used for electromagnetic simulation and analysis. It can be used to design and simulate surface roughness models by providing tools for creating and manipulating geometries, defining material properties, and running simulations to analyze the behavior of electromagnetic fields on surfaces.

2. What factors should be considered when designing a surface roughness model using CST?

The key factors to consider when designing a surface roughness model using CST include the material properties of the surface, the geometry of the surface, the wavelength of the electromagnetic fields being studied, and the desired accuracy of the results. It is also important to consider any boundary conditions and environmental factors that may affect the behavior of the surface.

3. How can CST help in optimizing the surface roughness model?

CST has various optimization tools that can be used to refine the surface roughness model and improve its accuracy. These tools allow for adjusting parameters such as geometry, material properties, and boundary conditions to optimize the model according to the desired results. CST also has visualization tools that can be used to analyze the behavior of the electromagnetic fields on the surface and identify areas for improvement.

4. What are some common challenges when designing a surface roughness model using CST?

Some common challenges when designing a surface roughness model using CST include accurately defining the material properties of the surface, choosing the appropriate mesh size for the simulation, and ensuring that the geometry is correctly modeled. Additionally, properly setting up boundary conditions and accounting for environmental factors can also be challenging.

5. Are there any resources or tutorials available for designing surface roughness models using CST?

Yes, there are various resources and tutorials available online for designing surface roughness models using CST. The CST website offers a comprehensive user manual and a variety of video tutorials. There are also numerous online forums and communities where users can seek help and advice from experienced CST users.