Parameters of the rough surface (for electromagnetic scattering)

In summary, the speaker is studying electromagnetic scattering from rough surfaces and is having trouble labeling the statistical parameters of sigma and correlation length on a schematic representation of a rough surface. They are seeking help from others on how to label these parameters and are provided with suggestions such as using vertical error bars for sigma and horizontal bars for correlation length. They also mention two relevant papers on the topic.
Ahmed123
Dear friends,
I will be grateful if anyone can help me
I study electromagnetic scattering by rough surfaces for a certain case. Each rough surface can be specified with the statistical parameters sigma (σ) and correlation length (lc). while writing my manuscript I drew a schematic representation of a rough surface. one of the reviewers asked me to label these parameters (σ and lc) on the figure. I can't understand how to label these parameters on the figure as they are just statistical parameters that control the surface roughness level. so, can anyone explain to me how to label the statistical parameters of the rough surface?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the significance of rough surfaces in electromagnetic scattering?

Rough surfaces play a crucial role in electromagnetic scattering as they can cause scattering and absorption of electromagnetic waves, leading to changes in the intensity, polarization, and direction of the scattered waves.

2. How are the parameters of a rough surface defined?

The parameters of a rough surface are defined by statistical measures of its height, slope, and curvature variations. These include the root mean square (RMS) height, correlation length, and autocorrelation function.

3. What is the relationship between the parameters of a rough surface and the scattered electromagnetic field?

The parameters of a rough surface determine the scattering behavior of the surface, which affects the amplitude, phase, and polarization of the scattered electromagnetic field. For example, a rougher surface with a larger RMS height will produce a more intense scattered field compared to a smoother surface.

4. How do different types of rough surfaces affect electromagnetic scattering?

The type of rough surface, such as Gaussian, fractal, or self-affine, can significantly impact electromagnetic scattering. Each type of surface has its own unique set of parameters that influence the scattering behavior and can result in different scattering patterns.

5. Can the parameters of a rough surface be measured experimentally?

Yes, the parameters of a rough surface can be measured using various techniques such as profilometry, interferometry, and atomic force microscopy. These measurements can provide valuable information about the surface roughness and its impact on electromagnetic scattering.