How to determine if this is β- or β+ decay?

In summary, the atomic number and atomic mass number of 24-11Na indicate that it will undergo β- decay. However, the rule of thumb for light nuclei states that they decay toward an even distribution of protons and neutrons, so it is more likely that it will undergo β+ decay.
PerpetuallyConfused

Homework Statement

[/B]
The problem states that 24 11Na is radioactive. The question asks if it's a β- or β+ emitter. The 24 is the atomic mass number and the 11 is the atomic number.

Homework Equations

I know that in β- decay, the atomic number increases by 1 and it emits an electron and antineutrino.
For β+ decay, the atomic number decreases by 1 and it emits a positron and neutrino.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that 24-11 = 13 neutrons. So there are more neutrons than protons (11). How can I use this information to figure out if it will undergo β- or β+ decay?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the decay products for each case?

The rule of thumb for light nuclei is that they decay toward a more even distribution of protons and neutrons. This is also true here.

For heavier nuclei this is no longer the case. The stability line then corresponds to a larger number of neutrons.

haruspex said:
What are the decay products for each case?
If it undergoes β- then it would look like this: 24 11Na -> 24 12 Mg + β- + antineutrino
If it undergoes β+ then it would look like this: 21 11Na -> 24 10 Ne + β+ + neutrino

Knowing this, I'm not sure how to proceed.

PerpetuallyConfused said:
If it undergoes β- then it would look like this: 24 11Na -> 24 12 Mg + β- + antineutrino
If it undergoes β+ then it would look like this: 21 11Na -> 24 10 Ne + β+ + neutrino

Knowing this, I'm not sure how to proceed.
I was going to suggest that it would be the one with the greater net energy release, but Orodruin likely has more reliable information.
Have you read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_decay#β−_decay?

Orodruin said:
The rule of thumb for light nuclei is that they decay toward a more even distribution of protons and neutrons. This is also true here.

For heavier nuclei this is no longer the case. The stability line then corresponds to a larger number of neutrons.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. What I'm understanding is that because there are more neutrons than protons, then the nucleus becomes unstable. A stable nucleus has an even amount of neutrons and protons. So because there are more neutrons than protons, the neutron must change to a proton. I'm not sure I'm thinking about this correctly.

haruspex said:
I was going to suggest that it would be the one with the greater net energy release, but Orodruin likely has more reliable information.
Have you read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_decay#β−_decay?

Typically beta unstable nuclei only have one possible direction, the other would be energetically forbidden. However, there are some rare instances of odd-odd nuclei that actually have both channels open. An example is 74As that has a branching ratio of 2/3 of ##\beta^+## decay into 74Ge and a branching ratio of 1/3 of ##\beta^-## to 74Se.

PerpetuallyConfused said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. What I'm understanding is that because there are more neutrons than protons, then the nucleus becomes unstable. A stable nucleus has an even amount of neutrons and protons. So because there are more neutrons than protons, the neutron must change to a proton. I'm not sure I'm thinking about this correctly.
Not necessarily. As I said, it is a rule of thumb, nothing more. It is also only applicable to light nuclei. See https://www-nds.iaea.org/relnsd/vcharthtml/VChartHTML.html
Note that even for the lighter nuclei, stable odd-odd nuclei are very rare and the stable nucleus with the same atomic number tends to have 2 more neutrons than protons when it is not possible to have the same number of protons and neutrons. The light stable odd-even nuclei tend to have one more neutron than protons.

Orodruin said:
Typically beta unstable nuclei only have one possible direction, the other would be energetically forbidden.
So that does fit with my supposition.
Orodruin said:
there are some rare instances of odd-odd nuclei that actually have both channels open. An example is 74As that has a branching ratio of 2/3 of ##\beta^+## decay into 74Ge and a branching ratio of 1/3 of ##\beta^-## to 74Se.
Do those also reflect relative energy releases?

haruspex said:
Do those also reflect relative energy releases?
Yes, but I would advise against taking it as a completely general supposition. The Q value of the ##\beta^+## is 2.6 keV and that of the ##\beta^-## is 1.4 keV. You can find all of this information in the table of nuclides I linked to in #7.

Edit: Just as a counter example, the isotope 112In has almost equal beta+ and beta- branching ratios. The Q value for the beta+ is roughly 5 times larger than that for the beta-.

Likes haruspex
Orodruin said:
Yes, but I would advise against taking it as a completely general supposition. The Q value of the ##\beta^+## is 2.6 keV and that of the ##\beta^-## is 1.4 keV. You can find all of this information in the table of nuclides I linked to in #7.

Edit: Just as a counter example, the isotope 112In has almost equal beta+ and beta- branching ratios. The Q value for the beta+ is roughly 5 times larger than that for the beta-.
Interesting, thanks.
But in the question in this thread, such energy analysis would have shown only one mode is possible?
Just trying to understand how the question setter expected it to be solved.

1. What is the difference between β- and β+ decay?

Beta minus (β-) decay occurs when a neutron in the nucleus of an atom is converted into a proton, emitting an electron and an antineutrino in the process. Beta plus (β+) decay, on the other hand, involves the conversion of a proton into a neutron, emitting a positron and a neutrino.

2. How can one determine if a decay is β- or β+?

The type of decay can be determined by looking at the atomic number of the parent and daughter nuclei. In β- decay, the atomic number decreases by one, while in β+ decay, the atomic number increases by one.

3. Can the energy of the emitted particles help identify the type of decay?

Yes, the energy of the emitted particles can also provide clues about the type of decay. In β- decay, the electron and antineutrino have a fixed energy, while in β+ decay, the positron and neutrino have a range of energies.

4. Are there any other factors that can differentiate between β- and β+ decay?

Another factor to consider is the charge of the emitted particles. In β- decay, the emitted electron has a negative charge, while in β+ decay, the emitted positron has a positive charge.

5. How do scientists use this information to identify the type of decay in experiments?

In experiments, scientists use detectors to measure the energy and charge of the emitted particles to determine the type of decay. They also analyze the changes in atomic number and mass number of the parent and daughter nuclei to confirm the type of decay.