How to determine ##\psi(x,0)## in general situation?

• I
  • Thread starter Kim hyeon su
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, the value of wave-function ##\psi(x,0)## is not measured, unless the particle has been observed at a single point. In most cases, the differential equation (Schrodinger's equation) is solved to determine the wave function, assuming a known Hamiltonian and a well-defined energy. Examples of free particle wave functions include a sinusoidal wave function for an infinite square well potential, a ##Ae^{-x^2}## shaped wave function for a particle in a parabolic potential well, and a -k/r potential for an electron in a hydrogen atom.
Kim hyeon su
TL;DR Summary
I want to know how can we determine ##\psi(x,0)## in a general situation.
First of all, please understand that I am not good at English so I used the translator.

(EDITED by mentor: small edits + added latex...)

After I studied free particles, I wanted to apply what I learned to other situations.

But as you know, to determine the solution of the free particle, you need to have ##psi(x,0)##. Usually, ##psi(x,0)## is given by the textbook problem (like: ##psi(x) = A e^{-x²}##).

However, in other situations (not in the book), there no information is given about psi(x,0).

So I want to know how can we determine ##psi(x,0)## in a general situation.
1) if ##\psi(x,0)## is determined by experiment, we have to measure ##-\infty## to ##+\infty##? How?

2) What kind of ##\psi(x,0)## can a free particle have? And what makes them different?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
The value of the wave-function ##\psi(x,0)## is not something that is measured, that is except for the case where the particle being described has been observed at a single point in which case the wave-function is a Dirac delta function centered at that point.

Typically one instead, solves the differential equation (Schrodinger's equation) for the wave function satisfying certain conditions. One typically must know the Hamiltonian (defining the system energy and time evolution via Schrodinger's eqn) and assume, for example the particle has a well defined energy.

Typical examples are things like a particle in an infinite square well potential (sinusoidal wave function), or a particle in a parabolic potential well (harmonic oscillator which has the ##Ae^{-x^2}## shaped wave function for its lowest energy "state") or particle in a -k/r potential (e.g. electron in a hydrogen atom).

Likes Kim hyeon su

1. What is ##\psi(x,0)## and why is it important in a general situation?

##\psi(x,0)##, also known as the initial wave function, is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a particle at time t=0. It is important because it provides information about the probability of finding the particle at a specific position in space at the initial time.

2. How is ##\psi(x,0)## determined in a general situation?

##\psi(x,0)## is determined by solving the Schrödinger equation for the given system. This equation describes the time evolution of a quantum state and can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables or numerical methods.

3. Can ##\psi(x,0)## be experimentally measured in a general situation?

In most cases, ##\psi(x,0)## cannot be directly measured experimentally. However, the probability distribution described by the wave function can be measured through various experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, which indirectly provides information about the initial wave function.

4. Are there any assumptions or limitations when determining ##\psi(x,0)## in a general situation?

The Schrödinger equation assumes that the system is in a stationary state, meaning that the probability distribution does not change over time. This may not always be the case, and in situations where the system is not in a stationary state, other equations, such as the time-dependent Schrödinger equation, must be used to determine the wave function.

5. How does the potential energy affect the determination of ##\psi(x,0)## in a general situation?

The potential energy of a system plays a crucial role in determining the wave function. It affects the shape and behavior of the wave function, and different potentials will result in different wave functions. Therefore, the potential energy must be taken into account when solving the Schrödinger equation to determine ##\psi(x,0)## in a general situation.