How to determine the spring constant in a Lennard-Jones potential

In summary, Kuruman found that the effective spring constant for the LJ potential is 6.82 x 10^-12 N/m.
happyparticle
Homework Statement
Estimate the effective spring constant (k) for this system
Relevant Equations
F= -kx
##F = -\frac{du}{dr}##
Hi,
First of all I hope it doesn't bother if I ask too much question.I found the values of ##u1,u2## for 2 differents posistions ##(r1,r2
)## and I now have to determine the spring constant (k).I'm thinking about using$$
F= -kx
$$
with ##F = -\frac{du}{dr}## then

$$
U = \int -kr \cdot dr =-k\frac{r^2}{2}
$$

I'm wondering if I can use ##r=r2## and ##U=U2## or I'm completely wrong by using ##F=−kx##

Otherwise, I found ##k=2\varepsilon\Big(\frac{n}{r_0}\Big)^2## Here, but I'm not sure how to get this equation from ##
U_{LJ}(r)=\varepsilon\Big[\Big(\frac{r_0}{r}\Big)^{2n}-2\Big(\frac{r_0}{r}\Big)^n\Big]

##

Physics news on Phys.org
EpselonZero said:
Homework Statement:: Estimate the effective spring constant (k) for this system
What system?

For a general potential ##V(r)##, write ##r = r_0 + \eta##, where ##V'(r_0) = 0##, i.e.$$V(r) = V(r_0) + \eta V'(r_0) + \frac{1}{2} \eta^2 V''(r_0) + \mathcal{O}(\eta^3) = V(r_0) + \frac{1}{2} \eta^2 V''(r_0) + \mathcal{O}(\eta^3)$$Write ##\tilde{V}(\eta) = V(r)##, and then$$F = -\tilde{V}'(\eta) = - V''(r_0) \eta + \mathcal{O}(\eta^3)$$you identify the "effective spring constant" with the term ##V''(r_0)##. So for the LJ potential, you just need to twice differentiate$$V(r) = 4\varepsilon \left[ \left(\frac{r_0}{r}\right)^{12} - \left(\frac{r_0}{r}\right)^6 \right]$$and evaluate at ##r_0##.

• Skeptical
Likes ClimberT8 and hutchphd
I found k = -42373736. I don't know what the spring constant should looks like for 2 atoms of argon.

I can't find any value of K to give me an idea.

I had ##U_1## and ##U_2##

EpselonZero said:
Otherwise, I found ##k=2\varepsilon\Big(\frac{n}{r_0}\Big)^2## Here, but I'm not sure how to get this equation from ##
U_{LJ}(r)=\varepsilon\Big[\Big(\frac{r_0}{r}\Big)^{2n}-2\Big(\frac{r_0}{r}\Big)^n\Big]
##
Where are you up to with this? I assume that using @etotheipi's explanation you now know how to get ##k=2\varepsilon\Big(\frac{n}{r_0}\Big)^2## from ##
##. I also assume you are taking n=6.
You wrote that you have values for U at two values for r. Did you use those to get a value for ##\varepsilon##, and hence that value for k?

haruspex said:
Where are you up to with this? I assume that using @etotheipi's explanation you now know how to get ##k=2\varepsilon\Big(\frac{n}{r_0}\Big)^2## from ##
##. I also assume you are taking n=6.
You wrote that you have values for U at two values for r. Did you use those to get a value for ##\varepsilon##, and hence that value for k?
I found U by using
##
##. and ##\epsilon = 1.654 \cdot 10^{-21} ##

Last edited by a moderator:
EpselonZero said:
I found U by using
##
##. and ##\epsilon = 1.654 \cdot 10^21 ##
In that case, where are you getting values for ##\epsilon## and ##r_0## from?

haruspex said:
In that case, where are you getting values for ##\epsilon## and ##r_0## from?
Sorry, ##\epsilon## is given in the question and I found ##r## by using ##\frac{du}{dr}## which is the max. and ##\sigma## if given as well.

##U(r) = 4\epsilon[(\frac{\sigma}{r})^{12}- (\frac{\sigma}{r})^6]##

I made a mistake. Now I found ##k = 6.82\cdot 10^{-12}##

Last edited by a moderator:
EpselonZero said:
Sorry, ##\epsilon## is given in the question and I found ##r## by using ##\frac{du}{dr}## which is the max. and ##\sigma## if given as well.

Ok, but now I'm confused about something else.
In post #1 you had
EpselonZero said:
##U_{LJ}(r)=\varepsilon\Big[\Big(\frac{r_0}{r}\Big)^{2n}-2\Big(\frac{r_0}{r}\Big)^n\Big]##
What happened to that factor of 2? Or is ##r_0=2^{\frac 16}\sigma##?

haruspex said:
Ok, but now I'm confused about something else.
In post #1 you had

What happened to that factor of 2? Or is ##r_0=2^{\frac 16}\sigma##?
It seems there is a typo in post #3 by @etotheipi. The expression for the LJ potential should be $$V(r) = 4\varepsilon \left[ \left(\frac{\sigma}{r}\right)^{12} - \left(\frac{\sigma}{r}\right)^6 \right].$$##r_0## is obtained from this.

Oh whoops, yeah I always remember that potential wrong! Yes I just checked wikipedia and it's the same as what @kuruman wrote down in #10.

To me, so long as it looks something like ##Ar^{-12} + Br^{-6}## then I don't really care too much about what the exact forms of the pre-factors are 😜

kuruman said:
It seems there is a typo in post #3 by @etotheipi. The expression for the LJ potential should be $$V(r) = 4\varepsilon \left[ \left(\frac{\sigma}{r}\right)^{12} - \left(\frac{\sigma}{r}\right)^6 \right].$$##r_0## is obtained from this.
So you are confirming
haruspex said:
##r_0=2^{\frac 16}\sigma##
?

haruspex said:
So you are confirming
##r_0=2^{\frac 16}\sigma##
?
Yes.
etotheipi said:
Oh whoops, yeah I always remember that potential wrong! Yes I just checked wikipedia and it's the same as what @kuruman wrote down in #10.

To me, so long as it looks something like ##Ar^{-12} + Br^{-6}## then I don't really care too much about what the exact forms of the pre-factors are 😜
Perhaps you should care, at least a little bit, because the casual observer might be confused when ##r_0##, the conventional symbol for the value of ##r## at which the LJ potential is minimum, is used to denote the scaling parameter. :wink:

Likes hutchphd
Life's too short to worry about things we got wrong :smile:

I think, everybody mis-remembers numerical factors sometimes. But the rest of my explanation is correct!

So basically, am I completely wrong or that's not too bad?

EpselonZero said:
So basically, am I completely wrong or that's not too bad?
In post #8 you say
EpselonZero said:

Can you show us how you got that number and what numbers you were given? Once you do that, we will be able to tell you if you are right or wrong.

I will point out that you gave a number for k that had no units and you did not show your work. What are we supposed to check?
I believe ##72\frac {\epsilon} {r_0^2} ## is correct but I never trust my algebra

hutchphd said:
I will point out that you gave a number for k that had no units and you did not show your work. What are we supposed to check?
I believe 72ϵr02 is correct but I never trust my algebra
I get your expression divided by ##2^{\frac{1}{3}}##. I don't trust my algebra either so I used Mathematica.

I don't see how the cube root gets there but I presume the OP can do Algebra and so he can tell us! I am truly incompetent unless terrified.

hutchphd said:
I don't see how the cube root gets there but I presume the OP can do Algebra and so he can tell us! I am truly incompetent unless terrified.
The second derivative has terms like ##\dfrac{\sigma^6}{r^8}## and ##\dfrac{\sigma^{12}}{r^{14}}##. At ##r=2^{\frac{1}{6}}\sigma##, you don't get integer exponents for the ##2## in the denominators.

kuruman said:
I get your expression divided by ##2^{\frac{1}{3}}##. I don't trust my algebra either so I used Mathematica.
I get @hutchphd's result, which is the same as ##72\frac {\epsilon} {2^{\frac 13}\sigma^2} ##.
Is it more of the r0/σ confusion?

I notice from the OP:

U_{LJ}(r)=\varepsilon\Big[\Big(\frac{r_0}{r}\Big)^{2n}-2\Big(\frac{r_0}{r}\Big)^n\Big]##

And no ##\sigma## or roots of ##r_0 ## need appear.

haruspex said:
Is it more of the r0/σ confusion?
Yes. We are good and reconciled.

Likes hutchphd
##\Delta E = \frac{1}{2} k \Delta r = > -1.6199\cdot 10^{-21} - (-1.654 \cdot 10^{-21}) = \frac{1}{2} k (3.92198 \cdot 10^{-10} - 3.82198\cdot 10^{-10})##

This is how I got k

That is not the energy of a spring.

1. How is the spring constant defined in a Lennard-Jones potential?

The spring constant in a Lennard-Jones potential is a measure of the stiffness of the bond between two particles. It is represented by the symbol k and is calculated by taking the second derivative of the potential energy equation with respect to the interatomic distance.

2. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the bond strength in a Lennard-Jones potential?

The spring constant is directly proportional to the bond strength in a Lennard-Jones potential. This means that a higher spring constant indicates a stronger bond between the particles, while a lower spring constant indicates a weaker bond.

3. How can the spring constant be determined experimentally in a Lennard-Jones potential?

The spring constant can be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to stretch or compress the bond between two particles in a Lennard-Jones potential. This force can then be used to calculate the spring constant using the equation F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

4. Can the spring constant change in a Lennard-Jones potential?

Yes, the spring constant can change in a Lennard-Jones potential. It is dependent on factors such as the particle mass, interatomic distance, and temperature. As these factors change, the bond strength and stiffness of the bond can also change, resulting in a different spring constant.

5. How does the spring constant affect the behavior of particles in a Lennard-Jones potential?

The spring constant affects the behavior of particles in a Lennard-Jones potential by determining the strength of the bond between them. A higher spring constant results in a stronger bond, which can lead to a more rigid and stable structure. On the other hand, a lower spring constant can result in a weaker bond and more flexible structure.