How to develop a method to reconstruct state in quantum mech

In summary, the conversation is about someone who is new to quantum mechanics struggling with a question on reconstructing a state. They ask for help and someone responds by suggesting to use measurements to compute parameters and explaining the connection between them and the results of a spin measurement. The questioner is unsure about the spin state component and the meaning of alpha and beta, leading the responder to suggest reviewing pre-requisite material.
john chen
Hi all,
There is this question;

upload_2018-2-3_20-30-56.png

Firstly, I am new to quantum mechanics and there are a lot of terms I am unfamiliar with. So there is this question that asks me to develop a method to reconstruct state and I have no clue how I should start with. Any help or steps to solve this type of question is greatly appreciated..

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-3_20-30-46.png
    upload_2018-2-3_20-30-46.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 502
  • upload_2018-2-3_20-30-56.png
    upload_2018-2-3_20-30-56.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 796
Physics news on Phys.org
The question's a little unclear, but I assume that what the textbook wants you to do is to pick some quantities to measure, such as the z-component of the spin, and use the results of many measurements to compute the parameters [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex]. Do you know what the connection is between [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] and the results of a measurement of the z-component of the spin?

Actually, this should be moved into the Homework forum.

stevendaryl said:
The question's a little unclear, but I assume that what the textbook wants you to do is to pick some quantities to measure, such as the z-component of the spin, and use the results of many measurements to compute the parameters [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex]. Do you know what the connection is between [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] and the results of a measurement of the z-component of the spin?
Hi thanks for replying... this is my first time using this forum to ask questions relating to physics so I wasn't sure where to exactly post it anyways, I'm not sure what spin state component the question ask me to use like is it x,y or z?And also what is the meaning of alpha and beta? Like what should I do as such my answer becomes the meaning of alpha and beta?

No offense, but it seems to me that you must have missed a critical lesson, if you don't know what [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] are. What I'm assuming they mean is that your atoms have intrinsic spin [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex], and that the state is [itex]\alpha |U_z\rangle + \beta |D_z\rangle[/itex], where [itex]|U_z\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|D_z\rangle[/itex] are the states corresponding to spin-up and spin-down in the z-direction. When there are only finitely many possible states, they often use matrix notation, where [itex]|U_z\rangle = \left( \begin{array} \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{array} \right)[/itex] and [itex]|D_z\rangle = \left( \begin{array} \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{array} \right)[/itex].

I suggest that you go back and try to understand the pre-requisites for this question.

1. What is the first step in developing a method to reconstruct state in quantum mechanics?

The first step in developing a method to reconstruct state in quantum mechanics is to select a specific quantum system to work with. This could be a single particle or a multi-particle system, and the choice will determine which mathematical formalism and techniques will be used in the reconstruction process.

2. Do I need to have a deep understanding of quantum mechanics to develop a reconstruction method?

Yes, a strong understanding of quantum mechanics is necessary in order to develop a reliable and accurate method for reconstructing state. This includes knowledge of mathematical tools such as linear algebra, complex analysis, and probability theory.

3. Is there a standard or universal method for reconstructing state in quantum mechanics?

No, there is currently no universally accepted method for reconstructing state in quantum mechanics. Different approaches and techniques may be used depending on the specific quantum system being studied and the desired level of accuracy.

4. Can a reconstruction method also determine the dynamics of a quantum system?

Yes, some reconstruction methods can also provide information about the dynamics of a quantum system. This can include the evolution of the state over time and the measurement of observables.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in developing a method to reconstruct state in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are several challenges in developing a reliable method for reconstructing state in quantum mechanics. These include the difficulty of obtaining accurate measurements in a quantum system, the impact of external noise and disturbances, and the complexity of the mathematical calculations involved.