How to do this surface integral

In summary: The yz integral is not correct, however. You have u^(3/2) when it should be u^(5/2). Also, you have 1/32 when it should be 1/64.So the final answer should be (1/64)[289*sqrt(17) - (175/2)^(5/2)] units^3. In summary, the problem involves finding the integral of x(4-x^2)sqrt(1+4x^2) over a given region. The solution requires using the substitution u=4x^2+1 and evaluating the resulting integrals, which involve simplifying terms such as u^(1/2) and u^(3/2
jegues

Homework Statement

See figure attached for problem statement.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See figure attached for my attempt so far.

I'm confused as to how to do this problem. Either plane I project the surface into (xz or yz) the integral looks pretty nasty.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2009Q2.jpg
    2009Q2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it just looks worse than it really is. Try using the substitution u=4x2+1.

I should point out I'm assuming the integral you got is correct. I don't remember this stuff off the top of my head, so if there is an error, I hope someone chimes into correct us both!

vela said:
I think it just looks worse than it really is. Try using the substitution u=4x2+1.

I should point out I'm assuming the integral you got is correct. I don't remember this stuff off the top of my head, so if there is an error, I hope someone chimes into correct us both!

If I apply that substitution,

[tex]\frac{1}{8} \int_{0} ^{2} \int_{1} ^{17} (4 + \frac{1-u}{4}) \sqrt{u}du dz[/tex]

Simplifying,

[tex]\frac{1}{32} \int_{0} ^{2} \int_{1} ^{17} (17u^{\frac{1}{2}}-u^{\frac{3}{2}})dudz[/tex]

It doesn't look like it's getting much better unless I've made a mistake.

jegues said:
I'm confused as to how to do this problem. Either plane I project the surface into (xz or yz) the integral looks pretty nasty.

Any ideas?

Your integral looks right, although I'd replace dA with dxdz.

To solve "nasty" integrals we have computers nowadays, or more specifically websites.
It does take the challenge away though :frown:.

See: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral+from+0+to+2%3A+x%284-x^2%29sqrt%281%2B4x^2%29+dx

Where you can find:

[tex]\int_0^2 x (4-x^2) \sqrt{1+4 x^2} dx = 1/120 (289 \sqrt 17-41) \approx 9.58815[/tex]

Of course, this still needs to be integrated over z...

[EDIT]Btw, the last integral is not that difficult with e.g.:

[tex]\int x^{\frac 3 2} dx = \frac 2 5 x^{\frac 5 2} + c[/tex]

[/EDIT]

I like Serena said:
Your integral looks right, although I'd replace dA with dxdz.

To solve "nasty" integrals we have computers nowadays, or more specifically websites.
It does take the challenge away though :frown:.

See: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral+from+0+to+2%3A+x%284-x^2%29sqrt%281%2B4x^2%29+dx

Where you can find:

[tex]\int_0^2 x (4-x^2) \sqrt{1+4 x^2} dx = 1/120 (289 \sqrt 17-41) \approx 9.58815[/tex]

Of course, this still needs to be integrated over z...

[EDIT]Btw, the last integral is not that difficult with e.g.:

[tex]\int x^{\frac 3 2} dx = \frac 2 5 x^{\frac 5 2} + c[/tex]

[/EDIT]

Well I hope I've made a mistake then because I am supposed to be able to do questions of this difficulty in a test situation without the use of a calculator, let alone a computer.

Can someone see where I went wrong? Or a cleaner way of doing this?

Thanks again!

jegues said:
[tex]\frac{1}{32} \int_{0}^{2} \int_{1}^{17} (17u^{\frac{1}{2}}-u^{\frac{3}{2}})dudz[/tex]

It doesn't look like it's getting much better unless I've made a mistake.
I think you're missing the obvious here. That integral is straightforward to evaluate.

What are

[tex]\int u^{1/2}\,du[/tex]

and

[tex]\int u^{3/2}\,du[/tex]

equal to?

vela said:
I think you're missing the obvious here. That integral is straightforward to evaluate.

What are

[tex]\int u^{1/2}\,du[/tex]

and

[tex]\int u^{3/2}\,du[/tex]

equal to?

I know how to that do that I just don't think we would be given a question were we have ugly numbers like,

[tex]17^{\frac{5}{2}}[/tex]

etc, as the answer, this question was from an old final exam and it's not like the professors to do that.

jegues said:
I know how to that do that I just don't think we would be given a question were we have ugly numbers like,

[tex]17^{\frac{5}{2}}[/tex]

etc, as the answer, this question was from an old final exam and it's not like the professors to do that.

Really? I think that number is kind of pretty. I know professors that have given problems with answers like that on exams.:redface:

LCKurtz said:
Really? I think that number is kind of pretty. I know professors that have given problems with answers like that on exams.:redface:

So there's no mistakes in my original integral than? Vela said that he had skipped over that part so I'd like to make sure that what I'm doing is indeed correct.

Can you spot any errors?

jegues said:
So there's no mistakes in my original integral than? Vela said that he had skipped over that part so I'd like to make sure that what I'm doing is indeed correct.

Can you spot any errors?

Your original xz integral is set up correctly. And the number 175/2 does appear in the answer, although that particular term might be simplified to 289*sqrt(17).

Related to How to do this surface integral

1. How do I determine the limits of integration for a surface integral?

The limits of integration for a surface integral depend on the type of surface being integrated over. For a rectangular or planar surface, the limits can be determined by the ranges of the x and y coordinates. For a curved surface, the limits may need to be determined using parametric equations. It is important to carefully visualize the surface and understand its boundaries in order to determine the correct limits of integration.

2. What is the difference between a surface integral and a line integral?

A surface integral is used to find the flux of a vector field over a two-dimensional surface, while a line integral is used to find the work done by a vector field along a one-dimensional curve. This means that a surface integral involves integrating over an area, while a line integral involves integrating along a curve.

3. How do I choose the correct vector field for a surface integral?

The vector field for a surface integral should represent the flow or movement of a physical quantity through the surface. This could be a velocity field, a force field, or any other vector quantity. It is important to choose a vector field that is relevant to the physical problem being solved.

4. Can I use any coordinate system for a surface integral?

Yes, a surface integral can be evaluated using any coordinate system. The choice of coordinate system will depend on the shape and orientation of the surface being integrated over. For example, for a spherical surface, it may be more convenient to use spherical coordinates, while for a flat surface, Cartesian coordinates may be more appropriate.

5. How do I know if my surface integral is correct?

To ensure the accuracy of a surface integral, it is important to check that the limits of integration are correct, the chosen vector field is appropriate, and the integrand is set up correctly. It is also helpful to double-check the units of the final result to make sure they are consistent with the problem being solved. If possible, it is always a good idea to compare the result with a known solution to verify its accuracy.