How to emit 3.2 micrometer wavelength

• I
  • Thread starter Vincent L
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary: Vincent L 's idea is more of a thought experiment than one which would be practical. It would involve measuring a tiny temperature change, probably involving comparative readings for a box of CO2 and one with the equivalent mass of CO2-free air. A source of narrow band IR energy could be a filtered halogen or LED source, such as you can get for back pain relief. An IR photography floodlight wouldn't have the necessary power, although the spectrum could be better.It's a good topic for discussion though and throws up a lot of practical factors about this sort of measurement.
Vincent L
Good day!
Can anyone tell me how to emit a 3.2 micrometer(μm) wavelength with as much energy as possible? How could it be "homemade"? Is it possible?
Thank you so much

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

What is the application? How much power are we talking about here? It looks to be in the IR part of the EM spectrum, right?

1654103904106.png

http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~blackman/ast104/spectrum.html

Thank you for taking the time. My english is limited.
So i want it conceiled in a box. I want to reflect the emission so it can heat the molecules i put in the box as much it is possible.

• Wow
Likes davenn
Maybe the hot filament of a lamp. You can adjust the operating voltage so that IR is emitted without visible light. I use this to demonstrate the Greenhouse Effect, by altering the temperature to give long and short wavelength IR. At long wavelengths, radiation actually comes from the hot glass of the bulb, as the glass is opaque to long wavelengths.

Likes Vincent L
It seems to me you want a blackbody cavity with walls ~900K
guest631096994.png

Likes Vincent L
Thank you all. I believe this to match with my questionning. I hope you all a good day

Likes bob012345
bob012345 said:
It seems to me you want a blackbody cavity with walls ~900K
View attachment 302326
Thank you!

tech99 said:
Maybe the hot filament of a lamp. You can adjust the operating voltage so that IR is emitted without visible light. I use this to demonstrate the Greenhouse Effect, by altering the temperature to give long and short wavelength IR. At long wavelengths, radiation actually comes from the hot glass of the bulb, as the glass is opaque to long wavelengths.
Thank you!

The problem is that the OP refers to a specific wavelength. All the above answers seem based on the assumption of a black body spectrum. If the OP were referring to spectral yellow wavelength or, say a millimetre radio wavelength, the answers would not have assumed thermal radiation.
What is it about a 3.2 micron wavelength that makes us assume that it's not monochromatic?
@Vincent L could you tell us about your choice of that particular wavelength and some more detail about your proposed experiment?

Likes hutchphd
sophiecentaur said:
The problem is that the OP refers to a specific wavelength. All the above answers seem based on the assumption of a black body spectrum. If the OP were referring to spectral yellow wavelength or, say a millimetre radio wavelength, the answers would not have assumed thermal radiation.
What is it about a 3.2 micron wavelength that makes us assume that it's not monochromatic?
@Vincent L could you tell us about your choice of that particular wavelength and some more detail about your proposed experiment?
I want to CO2 to absorb it in ambient air, in a box. I want it to transfert heat to the other molecules. So I am taking the CO2 spectrum that is absorbed but not the rest Thank you for taking time

Vincent L said:
I want to CO2 to absorb it in ambient air, in a box. I want it to transfert heat to the other molecules. So I am taking the CO2 spectrum that is absorbed but not the rest Thank you for taking time
Can you post a link to the ##3.2 \mu m## number that you posted? I'm finding different peaks for CO2 absorption specta...

berkeman said:
Can you post a link to the 3.2μm number that you posted? I'm finding different peaks for CO2 absorption specta...
It seems to me that the OP is trying to measure the mechanism of the 'greenhouse effect'. Atmospheric absorption of IR is a very small effect, for a short path distance (i.e. a 'box'). It's pretty subtle even over the tens of km of the path through the atmosphere and many years of input power. If the effect were really that obvious we wouldn't be having difficulties with the climate change deniers.

@Vincent L 's idea is more of a thought experiment than one which would be practical. It would involve measuring a tiny temperature change, probably involving comparative readings for a box of CO2 and one with the equivalent mass of CO2-free air. A source of narrow band IR energy could be a filtered halogen or LED source, such as you can get for back pain relief. An IR photography floodlight wouldn't have the necessary power, although the spectrum could be better.

It's a good topic for discussion though and throws up a lot pf practical factors about this sort of measurement.

1. How is the 3.2 micrometer wavelength emitted?

The 3.2 micrometer wavelength can be emitted by using a laser source that produces light with a wavelength of 3.2 micrometers. This can be achieved by using specialized materials such as quantum cascade lasers or by tuning the wavelength of a standard laser using optical filters.

2. What is the significance of emitting a 3.2 micrometer wavelength?

The 3.2 micrometer wavelength falls in the mid-infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum, which has many important applications in various fields such as spectroscopy, remote sensing, and medical imaging. Emitting this wavelength allows for the detection and analysis of specific molecules and materials that have absorption peaks in this range.

3. Can any light source emit a 3.2 micrometer wavelength?

No, not all light sources can emit a 3.2 micrometer wavelength. This specific wavelength requires a high level of precision and control, which can only be achieved with specialized laser sources. Other light sources such as incandescent bulbs or LEDs do not have the capability to emit light at this specific wavelength.

4. How is the 3.2 micrometer wavelength measured?

The 3.2 micrometer wavelength can be measured using a spectrometer, which is a device that separates light into its different wavelengths. The spectrometer can then detect the intensity of light at 3.2 micrometers and provide a measurement of the wavelength. Other methods such as interferometry or diffraction can also be used to measure this wavelength.

5. What factors affect the emission of a 3.2 micrometer wavelength?

Several factors can affect the emission of a 3.2 micrometer wavelength, such as the type of laser source used, the material it is made of, and the temperature and pressure conditions. Additionally, external factors such as humidity and air quality can also impact the emission of this wavelength. Therefore, it is important to carefully control these factors to achieve a precise and consistent emission of 3.2 micrometers.