How to engineer specialized headphones

In summary, the conversation discussed the idea of building headphones that could also function as room speakers when plugged into an iPod headphone jack. The question of whether 85db or 90db speakers would be loud enough for this purpose was raised, as well as the need for an amplifier and volume limiting element. However, the potential danger of this idea was also brought up, as it could be difficult to ensure safe headphone levels if the capacity for room speakers was present. Liability and potential user error were also discussed as potential concerns.
CWilli14
Hello,
I'm a newby at audio electrical engineering. I would like to build headphones that can do double duty as room speakers (in both situations they would be plugged into an ipod headphone jack). What I mean is, I would like to incorporate speakers that are sufficient for playing music ambiently, but then, when a (volume-limiting?) switch is thrown, the speakers max out at a certain volume that makes them able to safely be used as headphones.

Would 85db speakers be loud enough for this? Should it be more like 90db speakers? Do I need to have an amplfier built in as well as a volume limiting element?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
CWilli14 said:
Hello,
I'm a newby at audio electrical engineering. I would like to build headphones that can do double duty as room speakers (in both situations they would be plugged into an ipod headphone jack). What I mean is, I would like to incorporate speakers that are sufficient for playing music ambiently, but then, when a (volume-limiting?) switch is thrown, the speakers max out at a certain volume that makes them able to safely be used as headphones.

Would 85db speakers be loud enough for this? Should it be more like 90db speakers? Do I need to have an amplfier built in as well as a volume limiting element?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Welcome to the PF.

This idea seems to be fundamentally dangerous, no? There are some things that probably just shouldn't be built...

Do you remember the Far Side cartoon, where the scientist is about to plug in the power cord for an 8-foot monster robot...? :bugeye:

Thanks for the welcome - and, yes, I do remember that cartoon:)

Hopefully this idea wouldn't loose similar havok. Why do you consider it fundamentally dangerous?

CWilli14 said:
Thanks for the welcome - and, yes, I do remember that cartoon:)

Hopefully this idea wouldn't loose similar havok. Why do you consider it fundamentally dangerous?

Because it seems like it would be difficult to ensure that the volume could not exceed safe headphone levels if the capacity were there for use as small room speakers. You could try putting switches on the headphones that sensed when they were being worn, but what if those switches got stuck or failed? You could put a switch on the headphones that the user sets, but then there is always user error or the switch getting bumped...

For sure if you were trying to market something like this, there would be liability issues. But even building something for yourself, it seems like the possibility of error would be enough to keep you from doing it. There probably are other, better options, I would think.

1. How do you design specialized headphones for a specific purpose?

The process of designing specialized headphones involves a combination of research, engineering, and testing. It starts with identifying the specific purpose or use case for the headphones, such as noise cancellation or gaming. Then, engineers work on creating a design that will meet the specific requirements for that purpose. This may involve using different materials, components, or technologies. Finally, the headphones are tested to ensure they meet the desired specifications.

2. What factors should be considered when engineering specialized headphones?

Some key factors to consider when engineering specialized headphones include the desired purpose or use case, the target audience, the budget, and any specific technical requirements. It's also important to consider the comfort and usability of the headphones, as well as the durability and quality of the materials used.

3. How do you ensure the sound quality is optimized for specialized headphones?

Achieving optimal sound quality for specialized headphones involves a combination of factors, such as the design of the drivers, the frequency response, and the use of noise-canceling or other audio-enhancing technologies. Engineers may also use specialized software for tuning and fine-tuning the sound to meet the desired specifications.

4. Can specialized headphones be customized for individual users?

Yes, specialized headphones can be customized for individual users. This can be done through the use of adjustable features, such as headband size and ear cup rotation. Some specialized headphones also come with software or apps that allow users to customize the sound and other features to their personal preferences.

5. How do you ensure the safety and comfort of specialized headphones?

The safety and comfort of specialized headphones are crucial considerations for engineers. This involves using materials that are safe and non-toxic, as well as ensuring that the headphones are comfortable to wear for extended periods. Engineers may also conduct ergonomic testing to ensure the headphones fit properly and do not cause any discomfort or strain for the user.