How to estimate this cross section

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the cross section for a process involving the production and decay of a heavy Higgs boson (H) and a Standard Model Higgs boson (h). The question is raised about how to calculate the cross section, particularly with regards to the use of the narrow width approximation. It is noted that the cross section calculator MadGraph gives a value of approximately 0.2 pb, but there is confusion about how this value is calculated. The conversation also touches on the decay width of the SM Higgs and its potential impact on the cross section calculation.
Safinaz
Hi all,

Do any has an idea how to give a rough estimation for this process's cross section:

g g -> H -> h h, (h -> b b~), ( h -> b b~) ?

where h is SM Higgs and H is a heavy Higgs boson with BR (H > hh) ~ Gamma (H > hh) ~ 10^-3 GeV and sigma (g g > H ) ~ 10 pb ..

When I calculated it by cross section calculator like MadGraph (https://launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo) it gives sigma ~ 0.2 pb, also sigma (g g -> H -> h h) ~ 10^-1 pb, but I don't understand how these values calculated ..

Note that MG doesn't use Narrow width approximation , i.e., sigma (g g -> H -> h h, (h -> b b~), ( h -> b b~)) not equivalent to sigma (g g -> H -> h h) BR (h -> b b~) BR ( h -> b b~)

Physics news on Phys.org
Safinaz said:
Note that MG doesn't use Narrow width approximation , i.e., sigma (g g -> H -> h h, (h -> b b~), ( h -> b b~)) not equivalent to sigma (g g -> H -> h h) BR (h -> b b~) BR ( h -> b b~)

how so?
I mean the above decomposition seems natural as long as the production of the h's does not somehow affect their decay...
however I can't answer your main question; i mean I don't quiet know how MadGraph works (on which theoretical basis)...

Safinaz said:
That would surprise me. The SM Higgs has a decay width of just a few MeV. The off-shell contribution is not completely negligible, but experimentally if you look for the decay to two b-jets you cut away this contribution anyway. The H can have a much larger width but the 125 GeV Higgs decays should be independent of its production.
Safinaz said:
When I calculated it by cross section calculator like MadGraph (https://launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo) it gives sigma ~ 0.2 pb, also sigma (g g -> H -> h h) ~ 10^-1 pb
The first is a subset of the second, it cannot have a cross section twice as large.

1. How do I calculate the cross section for a specific material?

To calculate the cross section for a material, you will need to know the material's density and the dimensions of the object. Multiply the density by the area to get the cross section. Alternatively, you can find the cross section by measuring the scattering of particles passing through the material.

2. What is the unit of measurement for cross section?

Cross section is typically measured in square meters (m²) or barns (b), which is equivalent to 10^-28 square meters.

3. Can the cross section of a material change?

Yes, the cross section of a material can change depending on various factors such as the energy of the particles, the angle of incidence, and the material's composition. It is important to consider these factors when estimating the cross section.

4. How accurate are cross section estimates?

The accuracy of cross section estimates depends on the quality and quantity of data used to calculate the cross section. In general, the more data and precise measurements used, the more accurate the estimate will be. However, there may still be some uncertainties or errors in the estimate.

5. How do I obtain experimental values for cross section?

Experimental values for cross section can be obtained by conducting experiments with particles or radiation passing through the material of interest. These experiments can be done in a laboratory setting or using specialized equipment such as particle accelerators. The results of these experiments can then be used to calculate the cross section for the material.