How to estimate total energy when dealing with beamsplitters

In summary: If you subtract the input power from the total (9.97-10.82), you should be left with a power that is reflected and transmitted.
nordmoon
I'm having a brain freeze right now and I need some help. :frown:

I have a 50/50 beamsplitter (non-polarizing) with 5% tolerance. Test measurement (with a laser at a certain wavelength) gave that I'm transmitting 5.36 units and reflecting 4.6 units (49.5 transmitted; 42.6% reflected). Units refer to a conversion unit of my detector that I can convert to nJ or W. Without the beamsplitter the total power is 10.82 units.

If you add up the reflected and the transmitted powers, I get in total 9.97 units (there seem to be some losses in the the glass), using this total value I get the corresponding transmitted and reflected to 53% and 46% respectively.

In another measurement (using another laser with the same wavelength as above) I can measure the reflected power P= 1,32 units. I need to know the total power coming into the beamsplitter. The transmitted is unknown in my setup since a camera is placed in this end. How can I determine the total energy from the 53:46 or 49.5:42.6 division by knowing the reflected percentage?

Physics news on Phys.org
Couldn't you take out the beamsplitter and empirically measure both the transmitted and reflected, the same way you did with the first light source? Unless you want to assume that the percentage of absorption is always the same for both light sources, then there is no direct way to determine the amount of transmission.

Zz.

The point of the beam splitter is that I'm only measuring the reflected beam in my actual setup (since the transmitted beam goes into a camera). The laser has the same wavelength (and is the same type of laser) so it should be the same splitting ratio from unit to unit.

In the above I measured the reflected and the transmitted powers to determine the actual splitting ratio.

Questions is how can I determine the total power entering the BS by measuring the reflected power (and without measuring the transmitted power every time). Can't I determine this from the pre-measured ratio? If so, how can I do this?

Thanks

nordmoon said:
The point of the beam splitter is that I'm only measuring the reflected beam in my actual setup (since the transmitted beam goes into a camera). The laser has the same wavelength (and is the same type of laser) so it should be the same splitting ratio from unit to unit.

In the above I measured the reflected and the transmitted powers to determine the actual splitting ratio.

Questions is how can I determine the total power entering the BS by measuring the reflected power (and without measuring the transmitted power every time). Can't I determine this from the pre-measured ratio? If so, how can I do this?

Thanks

If it is the same wavelength (which it appears to be), then you should be able to "calibrate" it using your first measurement. So such calibration must be done first at this particular wavelength, i.e. before you start the experiment, you need to measure the input power, the reflected power, and the transmitted power. You have to do all 3 because real beamsplitter (or crystal) absorbs some of the power. Then you have to explicit assume that, for a given power at the same wavelength, the ratio of reflected to input power remains the same. In fact, you have to assume the ratio of reflected to transmitted power also remains the same.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
If it is the same wavelength (which it appears to be), then you should be able to "calibrate" it using your first measurement. So such calibration must be done first at this particular wavelength, i.e. before you start the experiment, you need to measure the input power, the reflected power, and the transmitted power. You have to do all 3 because real beamsplitter (or crystal) absorbs some of the power. Then you have to explicit assume that, for a given power at the same wavelength, the ratio of reflected to input power remains the same. In fact, you have to assume the ratio of reflected to transmitted power also remains the same.

Zz.

I agree. So my embarrasing question is if I get a reflected transmission of 1,32 nJ. How much is the input power if I have splitting ratio of 52:46 (T:R)?

nordmoon said:
I'm having a brain freeze right now and I need some help. :frown:

Without the beamsplitter the total power is 10.82 units.

If you add up the reflected and the transmitted powers, I get in total 9.97 units (there seem to be some losses in the the glass)

This doesn't seem right: the beamsplitter is absorbing 10% of the incident power? That's very noticeable and would create observable effects (heating, damage, etc.).

1. How does the number of beamsplitters in a system affect the total energy?

The number of beamsplitters in a system does not affect the total energy. Each beamsplitter will only split the incoming energy into two beams, with the total energy remaining the same.

2. Can the total energy be calculated based on the percentage of energy transmitted through the beamsplitter?

No, the total energy cannot be calculated based on the percentage of energy transmitted through the beamsplitter. The percentage of energy transmitted only gives information about the relative intensity of the beams, not the total energy.

3. Is there a specific formula for estimating total energy when dealing with beamsplitters?

Yes, the formula for estimating total energy when dealing with beamsplitters is Et = E0 x (T1 x T2 x ... x Tn), where Et is the total energy, E0 is the initial energy, and T1 to Tn are the transmission coefficients of each beamsplitter in the system.

4. How do you account for energy loss in beamsplitters?

Energy loss in beamsplitters can be accounted for by using the formula Et = E0 x (T1 x T2 x ... x Tn), where Tn is the transmission coefficient of each beamsplitter. The transmission coefficient represents the amount of energy that is transmitted through the beamsplitter, with the remaining energy being reflected or absorbed.

5. Is it necessary to take into account the wavelength of the light when estimating total energy with beamsplitters?

Yes, it is necessary to take into account the wavelength of the light when estimating total energy with beamsplitters. The transmission coefficients of beamsplitters are dependent on the wavelength of the light, so using the correct wavelengths in the calculation is crucial for accurate estimation of total energy.